PDA

View Full Version : Gator will not open

fluxist8070
03-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi,

I am trying to tranfer UVs from one mesh to another in xsi 6.5 advanced.
I choose my target mesh and then click property > GATOR and it sends me to a picking session and asks me to pick a source and I do and then...nothing happens.

If I right click, I get this in the status line.

ApplyGenOp "Gator", , "Model1.Group1;Model.Group2", 3, siPersistentOperation, siKeepGenOpInputs

But no Gator panel opens like in the tutorials. I have tried looking in the scene panel and explore for an operator but no dice. I am stuck Please help!
thanks in advance ofr your time.

HOLD THE PRESSES! I just found the operator. If I select a gator operator and then hit enter the window opens, but shouldn't it open automatically? If it is any consolation, I have the same issue with Ultimapper.

thanks again.

fluxist8070
03-26-2008, 04:57 AM
I was able to get gator to work, but when I transfer the uvs, I get this
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g99/fluxist8070/bad-uvs.jpg

here is the original UV layout.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g99/fluxist8070/good-uvs.jpg

I guess I can manually adgust the UVS, but I would like to know what the problem is, if anyone has any suggestions.
thanks!

Per-Anders
03-26-2008, 05:08 AM
It's because some polygons are projected accross uv splits so what happens is one corner or edge gets put into one island, but the rest is in another, the result is simply a uv that's stretched out because it don't know where each poly should be.

ThE_JacO
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Per's evaluation is correct.
Remember GATOR is a dynamic operator, which means after you apply it you can massage the source, or the target (as long as you do it below gator op in the stack) to better transmit or receive the spatial data, and once you're happy with it just froze gator off or save it somewhere before getting rid of the tweaks you did.

fluxist8070
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the repies.
I can massage after the fact below the operator in gator. But how would I keep polygons from being projected accross UV splits? When I setup the UVs, I selected polys in certain sections, so there should be no overlaps, or is this part of the automated transfer process that I have to live with?

thanks,
Matt

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.