PDA

View Full Version : Development Documentation and File Spec

MarkInTx
03-26-2008, 03:10 AM
I was purusing the Messiah API documentation and my last tutorial isn't there... Anyone know where I can find the "simple bones" tutorial?

Also is there a file layout spec for the .fxs file anywhere?

In other words, if I wanted to read and parse it, or write it outside of the Messiah program... anyone have a layout?

I didn't see one in the SDK docs...

isobarxx
03-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Nope, but it shouldn't be too too difficult. BeginObject/EndObject, BeginKeyframe/EndKeyframe, etc.

Suricate
03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
The documentation of the Messiah API is a bit incomplete (to put it in a friendly way). In many cases it is more useful to have a look at the include files, they are more up to date.
The 'SimpleBones' tutorial has always been missing, nor does an FXS specification exist.

Maks (Marek Schneider) wrote a stand-alone FXS to BVH converter, so maybe you can ask him about that. May I ask for what purpose you need to parse the FXS file? I think that it is easier to extract the scene information from inside messiah with a plug-in.

MarkInTx
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
The documentation of the Messiah API is a bit incomplete (to put it in a friendly way). In many cases it is more useful to have a look at the include files, they are more up to date.
The 'SimpleBones' tutorial has always been missing, nor does an FXS specification exist.

Maks (Marek Schneider) wrote a stand-alone FXS to BVH converter, so maybe you can ask him about that. May I ask for what purpose you need to parse the FXS file? I think that it is easier to extract the scene information from inside messiah with a plug-in.

I'm not sure yet. I would love to know more about the FXS to BVH Converter -- since that is where my attention is, you are right. But I would like to make it a round trip sort of thing (ie BVH to FXS convertor.)

I was actually thinking of hacking in the source code of MotView (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Courses/cs-838-2000/Students/gardner/motView/) It can read a lot of different formats and write them. It will save as a BVH file, a Mel script, or a Renderman RIB file... be nice to add Messiah FXS to the list.

Then, I still think that one could make the AutoRigger accept BVH motion files directly. It may be that this is best done from within Messiah, using the API calls... but I was thinking that if I could just do a file translate, maybe it would be faster than learning the API calls and slogging through the examples files.

But, like I said, I am just exploring at this point.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.