PDA

View Full Version : Imagineer Mogul to preview at NAB

cavekid
03-26-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't think this has been covered here yet, but it looks like Imagineer systems is bringing out a new system to compete for the high-end market of flame/inferno/etc.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/news/9185.html

I like Mocha, but the above changing of their business to an inferno, subscription based model does not appeal at all and seems to be missing the mark with the way a large chunk of the industry is going (i.e. the garage based studios, with a couple of people working, ...the ones who don't have the cash for an inferno, and do amazing stuff with desktop systems, where speed of execution is not as important as quality of the end result). As for the comments about companies moving away from having in house engineering depts, i think that is way off too, ...being able to script applications such as Nuke, Maya, Shake, etc, in common languages such as Python means even artists can tool up a special need addition to those apps, and I have IT friends I know i can rope in if I need a tool made for me, ....much better than waiting for a large software supplier to build something that might not be of any use to anyone else.

As i say, I like Mocha, but i always wonder where Imagineerings marketing dept is thinking when they're driving the company (the tools are expensive for what they are, especially Motor, Silouhette Roto is a much better price for a solid roto app. The freelancer specials Imagineer did over Christmas were the best marketing move I've seen from them, ...it looks like they're back to their old ways now though. Goodluck taking on Discreet.

erilaz
03-26-2008, 06:48 AM
I love imagineer's planar trackers and so forth, but they do seem to be making a lot of tools that do many similar things. Great for people who only need a particular tool (MochaAE for example), but I would have thought it would make more sense to compile them into one app.

el_diablo
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Just a quick summary puts the subscription at a $20k/month for a small facility. Too much for me...

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.