PDA

View Full Version : ppRGB to incandescence of instanced cubes?

izard
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I'm currently creating a new animation, and i'm aiming for a nice effect.
A field of particles, with instanced cubes as geometry.

I want to animate the incandescence of the cubes in this field independently.
I thought of using a PP atribute, but i can't figure out how to attach that attribute to the material of the instanced cube attached to it.

Is this at all possible, or am i missing something?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated :)

DrYo
03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
No, it's not possible unless someone writes a new shader node. It has been done in studios, but AFAIK they are not sharing their code with the world.

The current situation in Maya is that all geometry instances from the same particle system share the same shader attributes. If you want color variations, you need multiple particle systems.

izard
03-25-2008, 09:28 PM
That's a shame to hear, but i expected it.

Oh well, seems a few hacks to fake it are in order then.. :)

Thanks for the help. :)

ftaswin
03-28-2008, 01:43 AM
The current situation in Maya is that all geometry instances from the same particle system share the same shader attributes. If you want color variations, you need multiple particle systems.

You still can have multiple color variation on the same particle system, it just you need to duplicate the objects and assign different shaders and put those new ones on your instanced object list, then pick and choose them with your objectIndex attribute.

Ft

DrYo
03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Oh yeah, I knew that! Thanks for the reminder and clarification.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.