PDA

View Full Version : particle instanced materials/shaders?

T1ckL35
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi,

Here's a question regarding 3ds max's particle system and what can be instanced.
I've written a traffic animation tool for Maya and am considering converting it to 3ds max so that it can be used as an architectural visualisation addition (example Maya tutorials here: http://www.youtube.com/user/T1ckL35).

I was wondering with 3ds max whether you could instance materials or shaders and not just geometry?

I have used Virtools in the past which allows geometry as well as material instancing and this is extremely handy in generating a single vehicle that can have different custom colours and materials attached. While working in Maya I found that this is not the case and only geometry could be instanced - which results in having to create and add multiple coloured versions of the same car which in turn makes the polycount on highres vehicles stupidly high.

Any help/info/pointers would be greatly appreciated :)
Simon

grury
03-25-2008, 02:55 PM
You can have a Muti/Sub-Object Material with as many materials u want, n then have PFlow to pick one material randomly.

T1ckL35
03-25-2008, 11:26 PM
thanks for the info grury :) thats just what I wanted to hear - being able to change materials through the particle controls.
Think I'll start having a look at it in depth

cheers
Simon

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2008, 11:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.