PDA

View Full Version : blood cells again

SvenKalkschmidt
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
hi folks,

i'm working on an illustration and need some simple blood cells for that. i have some trouble getting the right material settings - so far i have only a simple diffuse color with bump on top. i am trying to get a white-ish rim light sort of effect, maybe combined with a slightly blurred edge. i have been fiddling around with the incandescence and dielectric nodes after going through some posts on the forum - but i cant seem to figure out what to stick in where to get the desired effect. also i have found some even better (imho more complicated material settings) blood renders, but i guess those are beyond my capabilities (?)

i have attached
1.what i have so far
2. what i would like to get
3. what i like even better, but have even less clue how to achieve that effect

maybe anybody can help me with this?

-Nova-
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Something similar to this was covered by Ola Madsen in 3DWorld.

Try connecting an incidence node into into a 2d gradient (white to black) going into the incandesence of a lambert.

Then grab a Mix 2 colours, connect the lambert to both base_colour and colour 1. Then connect the Mix 2 colours to your materials surface.

Finally add a ambient occulsion node to to the weight 1 input on the mix node.

You can also add a bump to break up the surface for some subtle effects.

SvenKalkschmidt
03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
thanks nova, i have set the render tree up like you said. i guess i do not understand the setup very well. i have played around with all the nodes, but the closest i get is this. the ambient occlusion node does not seem do affect the material in any way(?) do you have a clue what i am missing?

thanks

-Nova-
03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
The ambient occulsion should add some subtle shading in the indented area. Try increasing the spread in its ppg, also set the incandesence intensity to somewere around 0.8

Also set the mix mode to multiply.

Should have mentioned these earlier. :D

Heres a quick screen of a couple of minutes work:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9995/89515450xx1.jpg

SvenKalkschmidt
03-25-2008, 03:52 PM
i did everything as you wrote but still couldnt get the look in your render. i finally found out that i had to exchange the white and black gradient slider positions (white left, black right). its now very close to what i wanted- also your fractal bump looks way better than my cheesy bitmap. thanks a thousand times for your effort, you really helped me out! :thumbsup:

-Nova-
03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Np. Thats looking better. I think the bump map really brings out the effect and i'd be tempted to fiddle with it more.

ajcgi
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
A quick method for this kind of rimlighting effect is to pass your penultimate node through a toon rimlight node, enabling you to adjust how much rimlight, the softness etc. Couple it with other highlights and you can give a suggestion of directional lighting.
I used that method in exactly the same situation a couple of months back, flowing blood cells :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.