PDA

View Full Version : discreets particle flow

yoni-cohen
05-08-2003, 10:28 PM
At last after long months of sleep, 3dsmax has got a boost of energy..

go to the www.discreet.com site and follow the link

BrandonD
05-08-2003, 11:52 PM
I put up some screencam clips to show how it works, give you a better overview ...

www.particlefx.com/education/PFlow/

Beware, I was up late making them so they're not polished and I hear some have some funky sound issues.

Mahlon
05-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks very much.
Excellent.
Mahlon Bouldin

erilaz
05-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Oooooh I've been waiting for this one.:bounce:

erilaz
05-09-2003, 06:19 AM
See here as well:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61356

spacefrog
05-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Hi Brandon !

Originally posted by BrandonD

Beware, I was up late making them so they're not polished and I hear some have some funky sound issues.

I would recommend to cut the end of Video 9 -
there is a crash directly to desktop going on,
and i'm sure you did'nt want to show this to a wider audience
;-)

hotknife
05-09-2003, 11:38 AM
checked out discreets site but no mention of particle flow ?
are you on about the 5.1 service pack update including direct x9 ?

Nando
05-09-2003, 07:51 PM
hotknife: its part of the Subscription program option that your Dealer should have mentioned, when you or your company or school purchased 3dsMax.

If folks arent on the Subscription Program then they dont have acces to the Particel Flow Extensions

halo
05-10-2003, 01:21 PM
its part of the Subscription program option

and that stinks, having 3 licenses of max, some running since v2, i'm expected to pay more than upgrade prices to get something that should be in the package when you upgrade....subscription has only just started to be even on par with upgrade prices

discreet really need to sort their pricing out...now the product is even more expensive than the list price if you want these features...:surprised

googlo
05-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Why are some people complaining about the subscription program?

People who pay for it are basically getting access to stuff ahead of time as it comes out instead of having to wait for the cycle upgrade.

What is the big deal about that? If anything I think it's a good deal because it allows people to have access to new features of Max way ahead of time before the official upgrades.

Mahlon
05-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by halo
and that stinks, having 3 licenses of max, some running since v2, i'm expected to pay more than upgrade prices to get something that should be in the package when you upgrade....subscription has only just started to be even on par with upgrade prices

discreet really need to sort their pricing out...now the product is even more expensive than the list price if you want these features...:surprised

I'm sure Particle Flow will be included with the next upgrade. But the subscription was something like 395 u.s. if you bought it when you bought/upgraded to max 5 (and long after).

halo
05-11-2003, 01:23 PM
thats my point its 395 + the upgrade price...and 395 is per year, so its 790 for the 2 years to cover 1 upgrade, which is cheaper than 790...because to date the upgrades have been every 18 months, not 12

subscription is more expensive than upgrading, ok so you get 3 plugins ahead of time as an offset, but having spent $1000's on max anyway to be asked to cough up for even more to get something that should be in the app anyway stinks...its discreets policy of "we've got you over a barrel" thats poor....it wouldnt be so bad if they even offered support in the subs package....

aw rewarded their existing customers with good reductions on additional licenses and upgrades, they include excellent 24/7 support in with their subscription and the subscription is very close to the price of upgrades, + wether you sub or not you get the same deal either way....discreet just seem to be dangling carrots to get even more money which to a long term customer just stings:rolleyes:

erilaz
05-11-2003, 03:07 PM
I've started playing with Particle flow already, and I must say I love it. It's very easy and has some funky effects.

Mahlon
05-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by halo
thats my point its 395 + the upgrade price...and 395 is per year, so its 790 for the 2 years to cover 1 upgrade, which is cheaper than 790...because to date the upgrades have been every 18 months, not 12

I don't understand. I thought that the subscription is $395 per year, right? If you're on subscription there is no upgrade price for you. So you pay $395 per year over two years and you receive one upgrade during that time (assuming 18 month cycle) at $790. Its $5 short of the normal upgrade price, so practically the same, but you receive the early extentions like partical flow, etc. during the year.

But back on topic. I just downloaded it and am anxious to give it a try.

Mahlon

xynaria
05-11-2003, 04:09 PM
One of the problems with Max's subscription, as has been mentioned elsewhere on this board is that it wasn't 'sold well' and also fell foul of Discreets 'public image', especially in regard to Max. To offer free upgrades if they fall within a 12 month period when the usual period is 18 months doesn't really inspire anyone that it is a 'must have' option, but comes over more like trying to sell service contracts on washing machines. Coupled with the fact that Discreets reaction to the slew of price cuts was to say 'so what' and release what to many was not a good upgrade (R5) .....then its hard not to see it initially as another cynical money grabbing opportunity. They may not like this perception but it is one that has been formed and if they want to rid it, then the ball is in their court to do something about it. On paper, this is them sorting out a problematic area that had been rumoured to have been sorted out for R5.. that still leaves a lot of other problematic areas that show little sign of being dealt with, ie.. following through on the line started with editable poly.. itself a huge improvement.. but with still no modifier, and still not tied in with Max's so called Nurbs.. and what is the point of being able to edit in quads if that doesn't follow through on the rest of the toolset including export. Hell how many other programmes would not be embarressed by the fact that someone had to write a plug in to be able to perform useful booleans. :)

halo
05-11-2003, 07:06 PM
mahlon-your right...except for one point...subscription arrived when max 5 had just come out...it doesnt apply to 4...to get onto subscription you had to get the upgrade first then get the subs, which meant that you'd have 795 for the upgrade + 2 years (790) subs just to get max6 + 3 plugins....and that only works if discreet goto max 7 in 12 months or less...

oh and unlike subs, discreet can be knocked down heavily on upgrades...

googlo
05-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Halo,

Well if Discreet offered subscriptions to anyone at anytime (not at cycle upgrades or when you first buy the program) at the usual subscription price people could take advantage of that by getting in on the subscription program just before a major version release and get the new major upgrade at half the cost unless discreet charged full upgrade price for people who didn't get on the subscription program when they first bought the product or when they did a major upgrade like from 4.0 to 5.0 while in the middle of the 18 month cycle.

halo
05-11-2003, 09:23 PM
what im trying to say is because its cheaper just to upgrade, no-one (unless discreet starts doing 12 month upgrades) should have to get a subscription to get parts to an app thats been supported for since year " . "

like i said before...aw with subs give you support + betas and its cheaper than an upgrade, discreet is more expensive, no support, and unlike aw you cant get the plugins unless you sub'd

if discreet start doing 12 month upgrades and state publicly they will then fine, but otherwise its a shitty way to treat people who think they have had enough lolly out of them for them to give them away...

erilaz
05-11-2003, 11:57 PM
So, how's about that PARTICLE FLOW , which this thread is actually about?
Yes, blah blah discreet sucks blah blah blah. Do it in another thread and talk about the topic at hand.:surprised

holosynthetic
05-12-2003, 12:51 AM
anyone have any cool screen shots of what people have done with this new particle plugin?

xynaria
05-12-2003, 03:39 AM
Erilaz.. as Particle Flow is released as part of the subscription programme, then surely it is fair enough to talk about the pros and cons of that programme and whether this is considered fair by non subscription Max users, who consequently don't get to use Particle Flow. :)

youknowjack
05-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Here are some interesting features of particle flow:

ability to create many system in a tree-like graph.
Say like I have twenty spray particle systems in one scene.
I can create one system in the tree graph and
output to twenty nodes. They all share the same
property so I don't need to recreate all of them.
I like particle flow a lot since I don't have to
waste my money to buy "thinking particle" any more.
(Bobo wrote particle flow,the guy who did particle studio)

ability to leave mark on object
So, if you collide a teapot with a object, you can generate
planes with textures on every hit.
picture a tire moving over a muddy surface, having the mud
on part of the tire, then have the mud on the tire to
come off as the tire speeds up.

Node-base creation with everything. "velocity,
size, type of geometry" with like input and output.

I don't know if they have optimized collusion with particle or not.

You can also cache the particle in a file or with the max file now.
Which make the play back faster. ( probably had it in other package a long time ago, sure glad they have it now)

Lol.

P.S. I don't have pflow, just went to see a demo on it.
Well, max 7 Might just be in the corner right after six. We never know.Cheer up!

JACK

BrandonD
05-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Correction, the main person behind Particle Flow development is Oleg Bayborodin.

youknowjack
05-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Cool, I didn't know that(guess it wans't a part of the presentation
at the meeting)

JACK

Any other thing I missed?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.