PDA

View Full Version : UK Bournemouth University Interviews

JDHovey
03-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi, i'm thinking of applying at Bournemouth for Computer Visualisation and Animation.
Has anybody currently studying there or has studied there and has got through the interview.

I know there is a maths test, logical thinking test, portolio and interview.
The maths and logical thinking shouldnt be a problem as i am currently studying maths and physics A-Level.
But what are they looking for at the interview? your personality, portfolio, exam results?
How competitive or hard to get in is it?

Some help would be great
Thanks
Josh

JDHovey
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
bump...........................

c013310
03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey Josh,

I'm currently studying at bournemouth university on the Computer Visualisation and Animation course. We've just handed in our first year animation project and i'm knackered and ready to sleep for two days straight..lol.

Like you said, the maths test and logic test aren't too taxing on people who have done a-level maths, and have some common sense. Theres also a life drawing test, which for me was just lots of fairly short studies instead of long detailed drawings. Its used more to see if you have a sense of weight, arcs of motion etc... My interviewer had me talk about my drawings i'd done during the interview, mainly whether i liked them, what was good/bad about them..

My interviewer turned out to be our cinematography lecturer, and he looked through my portfolio which consisted of some of a-level work and some life drawing stuff i'd done to show outside of college. He didn't really tell me what he was looking for whilst he was looking through my portfolio. I had a good range of work to show different skills and shows you have a wider understanding of certain concepts, which i guess is good for an interview situation.

The offer i was given was quite a high one, it wasn't given on points but on me getting spefic high grades in each of my subjects which was pretty irritating. Some got offers based on points but the points were still pretty hight. It's worth a try, trying to get on the course as a fair few people have dropped off the course this year as they just didn't have enough passion/ or skills which the course requires.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy to answer any more question

Chris

JDHovey
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply.
The trouble is i'm sure i'll get the grades and more than enough points, but i havent done any life drawing really. I guess the main thing i want to find out is what the most important thing is in the interview, whether it's the academic side or whether it's your enthusiasm and your portfolio etc. i realise this is probably a very hard question to answer, and i doubt you could just carry the interview based entirely on your grades. and i also realise that even if you had impeccable grades at A-level and walked in sounding like you don't give a crap then you aint gonna get in either.
The big issue for me is i suppose that i'm quite a quiet introverted person but i am very good at getting on with work and being detailed and diligent etc. I just don't want to get to intervew and feel that i have let myself down by not having the right personality even though i would actually be very good at the course if you see what i mean.

c013310
03-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I hear what your saying and i wouldn't be worried about it. It probably is a mix of both having good academic standing as well as a decent-ish art background and enthusiasm.

A few of the people on our course sound like they have similar personality traits to you as in not being outspoken or loud, but get on the work quietly but well. They got on the course so theres no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

I also hadn't done much life drawing work before applying to come here but i done some in my spare time which helps in the interview. You've got a fair amount of time before you'll have to go for interview if you apply so you if you put your mind to it, you'd have a good mix of a-level work and life drawing to show at interview.

Chris

JDHovey
03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks muchly for the comments, v. helpful

Skirk
11-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Haa, I have couple of questions too regarding this particular course. Since I'm a finn I'm not so familiar with UK:s applying system, so firstly what should Personal Statement contain? It has no much room to write so do they wanna know that I've been scouting for ten years or should I only tell more about my artistic & computing background? Secondly, are math and logic tests at the same time with the interview and are those tests compulsory for International students also? Heh, and thirdly about the portfolio, I've been along in making of couple of little games with my brother and his friends, so is it acceptalbe or even recommendable to bring my laptop with my and show them to interviewers? :) I've got plenty of these questions buzzing in my head, but maybe that's enough for now.

ajcgi
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
When I had an interview at Bournemouth I pretty much got told to come back with a foundation degree.
My issue was I hadn't pieced together a proper portfolio. I took down a load of loose sheets, a-level sketchbooks etc. I highly recommend piecing together a proper portfolio. Having come away from that interview I created a kick ass portfolio which got me an unconditional offer on another course at another college. Each image was mounted carefully on card, then slipped into the giant A2 plastic sleeves, all zipped up in real faux leather glory.
Although the course I ended on was a bit bitty, it was less technical than the Bournemouth one seemed to be at the time (2001) so I wasn't too fussed. As it happens one of my coursemates went to Bournemouth after his degree to do an MA.

Anyhow, yes. Put as much effort into presenting the work as you put into the work itself!

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.