PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Skipping in anim. Help! (rig file included)

Eudaimic
05-08-2003, 04:17 PM
http://www.binarybonsai.com/misc/dudewalk.zip

I've tried as hard as I can to get this piece of animation working, but I just cannot :(

Here's the thing. Make sure you're in Back (not front) veiwport (or bake the summabitch and remove forward translation on the root). Now notice his right arm, it's skipping when it loops from 32 back to 1. And I cannot for the life of me figure out why! :(

I've checked and double checked the keys but I must be missing something :(

Also, any suggestions for tightning up the rig or the animation would be greatly appreciated.

nemirc
05-09-2003, 03:47 AM
I haven't checked the file yet but maybe it has something to do with the gimbal?

I was animating a character once and it "flipped" from one position to the other and it was caused by the gimbal. :bounce:

nemirc
05-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Too bad I can't check the file. I am on version 4

pyromania
05-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Well, I'm not really seeing it "skip" but if you are just playing frames 1-32, you will see some popping, because maya has to redraw the animation. But if you play frames 1-64, 1-128 etc the right arm loops fine.
I do see that the elbow on the right arm is popping out from the character. To fix this you should adjust the Twist attribute for your IK solver (unless you wanted the elbow to move out).

...and how did you get those boxes to show up for you IK?

dmcgrath
05-09-2003, 06:45 AM
pyromania

If there are boxes showing on the IK, it is because there are rotation limits set on the joints that have IK.

Eudaimic

The only question I have to ask is, are you looping it correctly?

If your start and end keys are at 1 and 32, is your animation playing only from 1-31 or 1-32.
The popping might be because of that alone. Either you need to move the key to 33 or shorten the loop to 31.

Eudaimic
05-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Well the curves are set up to more or less loop indefinetly (more or less ;)). but really all curves loop over 32 frames, so that shouldn't be the reason...

Yeah, I'm playing it from 1 to 32.

dmcgrath
05-09-2003, 07:50 PM
I just thought of something else. Check the graph editor and make sure the curves retain their tangents from the last frame to the first frame.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.