PDA

View Full Version : Anti Aliasing (?)

Nas-T
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi,
Sorry, i am a bit of a beginner in Photoshop.
I desperatly try to find a way to repair some jagged lines... They are part of a bump map which looks really weird when applied and coming close to the model.
Someone told me the problems would go away when using anti aliasing and that it exists in PS.
Buuut... when looking in the PS-reference, there are only help-chapters for selection anti-aliasing and text field anti aliasing.
But i want to soften those lines :( , they look horrible and i spent many many hours and dont want to redo everything.
I know i could use another pencil, but is there another way?
The blacklines are on a specific layer. Rest of the layer is transparent.
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3121/crapii0.jpg

I would really really appreciate every help to get softened lines. ( not blurred but anti-aliased lines)

leigh
03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
The pencil tool tends to do this. You might want to try using the Line tool instead, and switching on the AA option.

CurtJ
03-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Try doubling the image size, then halving it - repeat a couple of times - might get the look you're after without it just looking blurred. (make sure the layer isn't a smart object though).

Personally, I'd create another layer above it then select a brush with the size and softness required and quickly trace over the existing lines using the shift modifier: Click the beginning of a line then hold down shift and click the other end of the line to achieve a straight line. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Good luck

Giap
03-24-2008, 04:54 AM
I have a question too.

When I use lasso tool to pick a selection than I paint on it. If I disselect the selection and lock the area than I paint over it, everything looks fine. BUT... if I keep that selection and paint over it again and again, when I disselect, the border is not smooth >"<

CurtJ
03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Well, not sure if that is a question, and probably should be a new topic, but just to reaffirm your statement:
Your selection (presumably) has a soft edge (feathered/anti-aliased). Sounds like you've maxed-out the softness of the selection edge and burnt out any edge smoothness.

Nas-T
03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Personally, I'd create another layer above it then select a brush with the size and softness required and quickly trace over the existing lines using the shift modifier: Click the beginning of a line then hold down shift and click the other end of the line to achieve a straight line. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Good luck

Thanks , i did this now, though it took quiet some time, the original texture was 2048 and had lots of lines... took me like 1-2 hours but i am happy that its done now.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.