PDA

View Full Version : Lipsinc Homework Crit please

mattjmit
03-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I made this in maya, my first time doing lip sync, also first time doing anything other than a walk cycle in maya.

Please could you give me some helpful crit, combining both animation help and help specific to maya as thats my creative barrier right now. All crits welcome though. I won't realy be focusing much on the acting performance on this one, as it's more of a technical exercise but please say anything that comes to mind.

These are the issues I have notice with it and plan to change.

Eyebrows move a bit random.
Face in general needs to tie together a bit more.
Surface penetration with the folded arms agains his chest.
Face snaps back to quickly to the final expression.
Upper body probably needs to stop moving at some point rather than float between poses, same with hands.

is all this right?

thanks,

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEVK4RDKEBM

Sorry its a bit short.

KyleG
03-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Some of the mouth shapes feel like they are popping a bit. I would simplifly some of the shapes and make sure you not opening or closing the mouth of 1 frame. For a first time lip sync its off to a pretty good start, keep it up

mattjmit
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought some of the mouth shapes were going to be a bit too short but I did it on 2's, so when i timed it out some of them only have a space of 1 frame to happen. What do you do when this happens? start the mouth shape a frame early? or hold it late? or should i redo it on 1's?

also do you have any tips on the animation below the head?

Cheers
Matt

KyleG
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I would have them start a frame earlier, also make the shapes smaller, when someone is talking this fast their not going to have mouth shapes that large, the lower body feels al little floaty, the first hand gesture on "problem" is a little fast I would soften out of this a couple of frames, also work on the hang pose on the arms, the crossed arm pose could use a little work, keep it up!

mattjmit
03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Cool, thanks, I had some trouble with the crossed arms but if im honest I didn't work on it as long as I could. I think the initial reason for doing crossed arms was to do less animation but it's turned out making it harder, thats the price I pay for being lazy I guess. A good lesson learned!

What things specifically do you recon I should adress with the folded arms?

Thanks.

KyleG
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
It just doesn't feel like a natural pose, the the screen left hand doesn't really feel posed, I would look at reference of crossed armed poses, yourself in a mirror, to get the pose down. The one below is a little too confident for the line you are using, but you get the idea

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:TL8YbOqlaQPWdM:http://www.emsexperts.org/crossed_arms_bw_small_op_554x600.jpg

mattjmit
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Cool, I'll get going on all these points. The arm folding is proving to be a bitch since his hands are so large and his arms so thin but I've started this so I might as well get it nailed. I haven't used a whole lot of reference tbh which I know is a mistake when animating or drawing.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.