PDA

View Full Version : Can't scale rigged object???

Jacobo
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi;

I have an already rigged object I've merged into a different scene. Funny I haven't noticed this earlier but when I go ahead and scale the very root of the rig, the whole mesh gets distorted. I'm attaching a simplified version of my problem below. Normally, in any other decent 3D package, you could scale any rigged object form the very root of the rig it is attached to because the overall weighting on the object would be normalized, thus affecting all the points and the object's points would scale in accordance (not its transform values, you wouldn't be able to transform the object as they would be locked once the object's rigged to deformers) But alas, in C4D that seems to be not the case at all... I'm on version 10.5 btw... How do I go about this thing? I checked out all threads on the subject and couldn't find anything relevant pertaining to a viable solution to this pesky problem...

Any help appreciated...

AJ

Jacobo
03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Dang it, found it!! The rig should be scaled in "Object Mode" other than "Model Mode"... Yet, this one is contrary to what Kai advised in this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=440000&highlight=rig+scale

What gives??

LucentDreams
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
if it doesn't work with model tool instead of object tool then its because of your setup and if you read the rest of the thread I do explain why scaling in object mode is bad for scaling a rig. you are applying scale to the actual skeleton which is bad. If your animation is completely finished then you will have to scale with the object tool to scale the aniation as well, but prior to animation one should always try and scale using the model tool so as to avoid adding any scale into the rig.

Jacobo
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
prior to animation one should always try and scale using the model tool so as to avoid adding any scale into the rig.

Thanx Kai for the reply, but the above example illustrates a scaled down rig using the model tool, and hence the result...

LucentDreams
03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
yes but that shows the setup is wrong. nothing more.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.