PDA

View Full Version : How to emulate?

bonestructure
03-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I wanted to challenge myself on my next project. I've been doing a lot of science fiction illustration lately, and while I love doing that, I want a break. I want to make a circa 1930s 1940s era type image, but I want to try to get a look in it like Norman Rockwell. But I'm not sure how to do that. I've been looking at a lot of his paintings that resemble what i want to do, but I'm not sure what gives his work the distinctive look it has. Does anyone have any suggestions about how one would approach duplicating or at least emulating his work in 3D? I work in MAx, but the principles should remain the same for any program.

SmallPoly
03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
One way to figure things out would be to look at a few of them as a group and write about what they have in common. You can also compare the work to other styles and figure out what's different.

You can look at what he's doing with color, lighting, texture, perspective, framing, what kind of subject matter he likes, what kinds of feelings you get from looking at the work, how the edges and implied edges lead your eye, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.