PDA

View Full Version : splines to faces

StanrickKubley
03-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi all. In Cinema, can I create some linear splines squares and then convert the to faces?

kvb
03-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Kinda vague... but I'll bite:)

Assuming first that you're taking about spline based modeling, then I'm afraid there isn't a built in spline modeling system in c4d. However there is a plugin called spline patch that accomplishes this. http://www.heyne-multimedia.de/c4dplugin/splinepatch/splinepatch_en.html (http://www.heyne-multimedia.de/c4dplugin/splinepatch/splinepatch_en.html)

If you simply are looking to create polys by defining there edges cuz that's how you like to model, then you can use an edge modeling technique using the create polygon tool.

Or, there's also generater objects like the extrude, sweep, lathe and bezier nurbs objects to create geometry from splines.

So, depending on what advice exactly you're seeking, those are your options.

hope it helps some and sorry if I'm way off;)

kvb

StanrickKubley
03-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Hey, I used to live in Orlando!

You're not way off. What I want to do is just draw out linear splines in quads, with the approprate points snapped together. Then I want to select all the splines and create faces from them. For organic modeling. Does that make sense?

WillBellJr
03-22-2008, 12:46 PM
SplinePatch is your answer, I have it and it's very good!

-Will

kvb
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
SplinePatch is your answer, I have it and it's very good!

-Will

I can second that.

Per-Anders
03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
I would say that you should perhaps instead spend some time with the create polygon tool. You can turn splines to single polygons using the extrudenurbs and loftnurbs tools, and also with a little coffee scripting, but really it sounds like you're looking to make a very much less than optimal workflow from the start, linear quads are just 4 sided polygons, spline/nurbs patches are non linear (i.e. it's a different idea).

StanrickKubley
03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone who recommended spline patch. Yeah, like Per Anders says, it looks to be a little wrong for what I'm trying to do. I still may buy the plugin, though, cause it's nifty :) I think I'm going to try using the polygon primitive.

Now, does anyone know how set up a script or something that will allow me to create a polygon that automatically faces whatever orthographic viewport camera is being used?

Thanks!

Per-Anders
03-23-2008, 01:27 AM
The create polygon tool in quad mode should do this. If not then just remember to build the polygon in the right direction (I believe clockwise for facing you).

StanrickKubley
03-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks, Anders! I never actually used the create polygon tool before. That's exactly what I was looking for. I take it the normal way of using this tool from scratch is to place a square, drop into component mode and tweak it into place, and then start building new quads with the create polygon tool?

Again, thanks, dude!

Per-Anders
03-23-2008, 06:17 AM
No need to, just choose the create polygon tool and start clicking to add points, i'd use the quad's mode if you just want to make quads, then it'll make a quad strip for you, the help covers the shortcuts and options.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2008, 06:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.