PDA

View Full Version : Modo Vs 3dsmax ???

Herwin-du
03-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi every body, i want to know where is the different with Modo and 3dsmax?
now i only use 3dsmax for job, but i heared modo more quickly and have a perfect texturing,
is that right?
please tell me where is +&- about that two software.
that's a lot before
Herwin

dnashj33
03-22-2008, 01:00 PM
3ds Max is a full-featured 3d app, while Modo isn't there yet and is, at this stage in development, considered a Modeling package that has host of other nice features. It's not a matter of one vs the other, but whether or not you want to use Modo to do many of the things you'd do in Max, or Maya, XSI, Lightwave, or C4D.

Rectro
03-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Just to add my personal perspective on this as iv used Max and am a Modo user.

Its a personal preference to be honnest, and posting in a Modo forum your likly to get a bias opinion. Modo modling methods are fresh almost complete and fast. Its interface is very easy to customize and offers great rendering and uv mapping. I found the learning curve in Modo to be faster and the render to be very fast. Setting your matirials in Modo is simple where as Max can get rather complexed.

The price between them is huge, max is a major player in the CG industry and if you can afford Max then your have a complete app for all your needs. The sculpting and painting tools in Modo are very nice addition and boast simplicity. Aside from rigging and animation you also have no hair or physics while Max does. These two apps cant be compared as a whole but tool for tool they both have their strengths and weekneses.

As a exsample Modo is much slower to make things than Daz3d Hexagon, this is major cheap modler, yet Modo has more features to get the most complexed modling done.

The only way is to try and match your needs to what ever app fits best.

Herwin-du
03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Really, thank's guys
but how about the animation?
thx

skAt3f0r71f3
03-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Modo- Just Modeling and Texturing

3ds Max- Pretty much everything else including Modeling and Texturing.

You can't really compare the two. It's like comparing Maya to Photoshop.
They are good in their own aspects.

musashidan
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
as mentioned,there is no comparison really.I'm a long term Max user who recently learned Modo to fit into my workflow.
I mainly use it to touch up my meshes after i have re-topologised them in Max.modo sculpting tools are great for this.The UV tools are pretty good,also.
But,as for Modo being a complete solution.this is many years away.
Max has everthing that you could want out of the box.Plus a huge userbase and a wealth of excellent plugins and scripts to expand it's power.
I was going to use Modo exclusively for my modeling until i began to use Polyboost(modeling plugin for Max)which, if you do decide on Max is an absolute must!

Herwin-du
03-26-2008, 07:50 AM
ok, thank's
i will try modo now
can you tell me the site for modo basic tutorial? (maybe video tutorial)
thank's alot
Herwin

Rectro
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
ok, thank's
i will try modo now
thank's alot
Herwin

Here is a few videos iv done for new users of Modo.

http://www.veoh.com/channels/Modo

Ed Welch
03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I use both, Max for animation and modo for modeling and textures. Modo is less stable, especially when you are painting on the model - crash city. Despite that I really love modo. The paint on model feature is something that max will never have. Also, max has big focus problem which I really hate.
Max strong point of max is animation, especially character animation.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
ok, thank's
i will try modo now
thank's alot
Herwin

Modo comes with some REALLY GOOD video tutorials.
you can also go to the official website.
and you could read the manual once you buy it.
Good Luck learning it!:thumbsup:
its a very powerful modeling tool!

GutenBar
04-06-2008, 05:35 AM
a good site with a list, sorted by category (modeling, lighting, rendering, animation...), of sites with video tutorials.

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/tutorials_general_modoIntroduction.php

nielsss
04-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Maybe you could try Lightwave:

-All round
-Has one of the best modeling tools!!!
-Much cheaper

I think it's even cheaper than Modo.

whowhatwhenwherewhyhow
04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
So Modo and Lightwave have better tools for modeling?

How about if you add PolyBoost to 3ds max...how does max stack up then?

darthviper107
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm a Max user and just saw this thread.

But isn't Modo more of a Nurbs modeling program?

Max is very very good at modeling with polygons, especially with polyboost--amazing program. Plus it's got great rendering, animation. Lots of plugins, lots of tutorials.

But if Modo is more of a Nurbs program, then that is something good over Max since Max barely has Nurbs at all.

prs
04-09-2008, 08:49 PM
No, modo is not for nurbs modeling - it's a subdivision and polygon modeler.

Isn't it a bit odd to pay $150 for polyboost to get access to tools one might expect to find in a $1000+ software as 3dsmax?

whowhatwhenwherewhyhow
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
No, modo is not for nurbs modeling - it's a subdivision and polygon modeler.

Isn't it a bit odd to pay $150 for polyboost to get access to tools one might expect to find in a $1000+ software as 3dsmax?

Indeed. I still find it odd myself. PolyBoost has everything Autodesk should be implementing themselves.

darthviper107
04-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Even comparing the toolset of Max to Maya Max has more polygonal modeling tools than that without Polyboost, so it really isn't all that bad by itself, but polyboost sure helps. What's really sad with Maya is that a lot of stuff is restricted to Nurbs modeling.