PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow Simulation on Fluid Dynamics

biginamaron
03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Dear All,

I am trying to do Architectural simulation on Maya's fluids dynamics, especially for testing ventilation performances of buildings just for conceptual design stages. In order to do so, I need to know about some relationships between Maya's parameters of attributes and actual physical properties, though I don't find out explicit relationships other than, for example, gravity=9.8m2/s....

I would like to know whether there are some informations about it, or this function of Maya is not suitable even for quasi-scientific problems...

I'm looking forward to coming across kind informations.

Best regards,

biginamaron

Als
03-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Maybe this might be of interest to you:

http://importvtk.sourceforge.net/#overview

http://www.nextlimit.com/xflow.php

http://www.csiro.au/multimedia/FluidSpecialEffects.html

Als

biginamaron
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Als,

Thank you very much for your information !

I think especially xFlow might be very suitable one for my purpose, but it seems to be under development.

Actually, even though I have used a scientific software called ANSYS, it has been very heavy one just for quick simulations, therefore I think some graphic softwares with physics simulation engine such as MAYA might be a substitutional one for such a easy simulation. But Maya's Dynamics seems not to have variables corresponding to physical variables and constants, so I couldn't judge whether Maya's results are correct or not other than judging depending on my eyes. If we didn't know them, we couldn't input initial boundary conditions in order to solve the equations.

Do you know any corresponding tables between some variables of Maya's Fluids and Physics ones ? Even though your suggestions might be indicating that there are not such tables so far, I'm wondering that there should be since Maya has used Navier-Stokes Eq.

If you tell me anything you know, it would be the most helpful for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

biginamaron

NordJan
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi biginamaron,

it looks like we have more or less the same question posted (see my post: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=604852), about physics properties in Maya Fluid Effects. I guess you have been looking for the Reynolds number as well.
In my limited view until now, the voxels in Maya are much like a grid in CFD, but they are much coarser. So I am afraid, we can't expect much accuracy with respect to fluid dynamic simulations. Maya seems more geared towards CG and animations.
I would like to hear from your observations and opinion!

Regards,
Nord

biginamaron
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Nord,

Thank you for you kind reply. Yes, I think we have been digging the exact same hole as you suggested.

My intention is a kind of to establish some form-finding procedure linking 3d soft and fluid dynamics in order to generate some forms with evaluating their performances agaist air flow such as natural ventilation and wind loads. This intends not to go to post-simualtion but to be integrated in early design stages.

So far, even though I could use something like ANSYS or other engineering softwares, as you know, it's pretty heavy for designers, so I have been searching other possible ways...
I found out only one, which is called WinAIR combinated with ECOTECT, the former one seems not to be public at the moment...

In these circumstances, xFlow is very attractive one for me, however it will be on sale in the third quarter of this year, which I confirmed by mail with Next Limit.

I guess you have been investigating into the very same theme. Therefore, I would be very happy if you tell me your idea and findings.

Best regards,

biginamaron

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.