PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Flowers in the air while spinning

mr_projects
03-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Im trying to accomplish something, but I need direction please ..

The effect im looking for is a topshot of a little girl holding a basket of roses, takes a bunch and throws them in the air while she turns around in a one circle, to a point where we freeze in time and see a full 360 degrees circle of the flowers, then the flowers drop down tearing-apart from air resistance.

Here is what I have on my mind,

Gravity field, vortex field, spiral curve as a goal for the particles, ncloth for the flowers for the tear

Now my question, Im I heading in the right direction ? do I need the goals ? or can the vortex field accomplish the spiral effect alone? and how can I accomplish the freeze in time effect as well as tearing effect ?

I hope someone could give me a starting point, and thanks in advance :)

mr_projects
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
can someone give me a hand plz, thnx

sergioduque
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
in order to make your particles rotate on a PP basis you need to create a costume att, i'll call it randomRotation

then you need to control that att via expressions, as an exemple:

//at creation
particleShape1.randomRotation = <<rand(360),rand(360),rand(360)>>;
// this will make your particles rotate randomly in XYZ at creation

//at runtime after dynamics

particleShape1.randomRotation += <<3,3,3>>;
//this will make your particles rotate 3 units everyframe in XYZ

then yes play with fields to finish the effect

mr_projects
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I appreciate your reply sergioduque, I'll try it probably in the second test,

I've been playing around with the fields lately, this is what I came up with until now

sergioduque
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
have a look on what i've done.

2 side notes:
when you use an object as an instancer this object needs to 0 values as far as tranlations and rotations when at the origin.

after you create the scripts you will need go to the instancer menu and assign it to the rotation.

if this makes any sense

EDIT: to make them loose energie you can manually key the conserve of the particles
by default they are at 1 meaning full energy

EDIT2: forgot to attach the file

mr_projects
03-27-2008, 07:46 AM
have a look on what i've done.

2 side notes:
when you use an object as an instancer this object needs to 0 values as far as tranlations and rotations when at the origin.

after you create the scripts you will need go to the instancer menu and assign it to the rotation.

if this makes any sense

EDIT: to make them loose energie you can manually key the conserve of the particles
by default they are at 1 meaning full energy

EDIT2: forgot to attach the file

Thanks, with random rotation this surely looks good. But can it be tweaked in a way that when the flowers reach thier maximum hieght we see them face up, and as soon as they collide with the ground they'll stop rotating ? i might go with nCloth if I couldn't figure out an expression to do it

mr_projects
03-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Just added a character, a camera, and quickly textured the scene, tweaked the fields and keyframed the vortex/drag/gravity field's magnitude. Now this clearly shows the effect im heading for

preview:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126026&stc=1

sergioduque
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
i can't have a look to the file just yet because i'm not on a maya, but i have a diferent aproach i'd like to suggest.

i think you could try rigid bodies instead, because it will be easier to acomplish the effect with out expressions, as an exemple if you make the particles colide with the ground, the particle will colide, not the instanced geometry, so, for you to have the flowers properly lay down on the ground you will need to script it, if you use rigid bodies you can make the geometry colide with no worries. another reason will be you can make use of attributes like initial speed, or initial spin for exemple making it easier for you to control your the animation. And you can still use fields an all. just a thought..
any way.. later on i'll have a look at the stuff, and i'l help in everything i can.

sergio

mr_projects
03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
i can't have a look to the file just yet because i'm not on a maya, but i have a diferent aproach i'd like to suggest.

i think you could try rigid bodies instead, because it will be easier to acomplish the effect with out expressions, as an exemple if you make the particles colide with the ground, the particle will colide, not the instanced geometry, so, for you to have the flowers properly lay down on the ground you will need to script it, if you use rigid bodies you can make the geometry colide with no worries. another reason will be you can make use of attributes like initial speed, or initial spin for exemple making it easier for you to control your the animation. And you can still use fields an all. just a thought..
any way.. later on i'll have a look at the stuff, and i'l help in everything i can.

sergio

But isnt it the same as particles ? I mean the particles are colliding too, rigid bodies will look the same i guess.

I'm still looking for the floating feel (gradual rotation computed dynamically) so I thought maybe nCloth could accomplish that thing, but is there a way to convert the particles to nCloth objects (hoping to get a realistic drift to them) and have them affected by the particle fields ?

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.