PDA

View Full Version : DGS material usage

Shannon
05-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Anyone here using the DGS material? How have you been using it? Any results to post? Just curious

joie
05-09-2003, 10:31 AM
You have a thread here with great info about this shader, just search in the database and look for it, sorry but I donīt remember where it is..., may be in the MAYA FAQ?

protohiro
05-16-2003, 06:15 PM
look here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54603

I have been using dgs A LOT for the product shots I do at work. I do a lot of medical equipment and about half of the things are made of metal with very diffuse reflections. I am getting some awesome results. I posted a (very) basic how to in the thread linked above.

joie
05-19-2003, 09:24 AM
A question for you protohiro, which AA settings do you use in order to get rid of the noisy pattern in DGS materials?, do you render them in a separate layer?
If I speed up AA settings to see DGS less noisy, the entire image render time also burns out, at least 4 or 5 times up, and thatīs pretty much for me since the rest of the image (the one without DGS material) is OK with AA settings set to -2/2.

protohiro
05-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, sad but true, this is the same results I am a getting. For me I have had to set AA to 0 3 at a MIMIMUM. For really glossy stuff I have to set it at 2 4. And the render time is insanely slow. Lucky for me all my stuff is stills for the web right now, so render times don'y bother me. I recently did an animation with MR, but I made the mistake of showing the client a still with a dgs material. Since it was an NTSC animation render times of 2-3 hours per frame were not really ok, so I ended up rendering the metal parts with the maya renderer and the pixho blurred reflection shader.

Shannon
05-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Is rendering the object with the dgs material in a seperate pass an option or no? Cause those render times are outrageous.

joie
05-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, you can always render the DGS shader in a separated layer with AA at -2/2 and postprocess it to blur a little bit (only to get rid of the noise), the only thing iīm not sure about is that itīs possible that it wonīt be frame consistent and would flicker from frame to frame... Ž_Ž

Shannon
05-19-2003, 06:39 PM
It's frightening. I'll try it out later and see how it does.

I did some tests with the DGS lens DOF shader. Pretty noisy as well. Needed a good amount of AA and of course time.
I'll stick to Z maps for my dof thank you very much.

joie
10-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi!

I think Iīve found a DGS Shader bug (or anything else), all the objects Iīve rendered with DGS untill now were poligon-modelled, but now Iīve tried to put that shader on a NURBS sphere (simple default one) and the glossy reflection appears twisted, donīt know why, it looks like refraction instead of reflection!, did you try it?

:)

Shannon
10-24-2003, 02:16 AM
I've only tried with polys myself. I'll give it a try w/ nurbs in the next couple of days and report back.

joie
10-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Thankīs it will be great to confirm that is a bug and not my mistake

:)

galactor
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
I tested it already. The gray sphere at the left is made out of polygons, and the right one is a Nurbs Sphere. They both have the same shader assigned.

I see no difference in the way they reflect light!
Could it be that your normals are pointing inwards?

:: Galactor ::

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.