PDA

View Full Version : Uplift Universe - Video Entry: Nico Strobbe

Nothingness
03-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Nico Strobbe is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/view_entries.php?challenger=14356)

Latest Update: Work In Progress: spaceship screencaptures
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1210893977_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5153371#post5153371)

gpepper
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Yep Nico, nice to see you around !

SweD
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
hey ! long time no see Nico :)
In video section this time ? can't wait to see your concept. I wish you all the good luck ! :thumbsup:

Nothingness
03-20-2008, 02:49 PM
So strange how a faceless place can be so familiar and feels just like home. :twisted:

Cyril, Gilles, so great to you back guys. :thumbsup:

let's rock :buttrock:

Nothingness
03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Base outline of the story/idea =

1970's
(still not sure of the real date)
people watch tv while the world welcomes the aliens.

2000's
30 years later.
People have embraced the life together with the aliens and made their lives more comfortable with the help of the aliens and their technology.
The people are very happy. Well, ..., just the people!

The setup will be split in 2. A 'before' and an 'after'. A few scenes will be shown twice with a difference of 30 years.

The emotive sence of the short will be a very funny cartoony setup in a rather modest - depending on the time i have - setup.

let's get to work!

Nothingness
03-31-2008, 02:30 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1206927027_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1206927027_large.jpg)

Alright, it's kind of about time i show something. Although i don't want to put too much time in pre-renders en stuff like that, i'm only king of gonna show what won't give away the actual clue of the story. I'll try and keep it a secret up untill i upload the final peace.

Besides these objects i also have been busy modeling an alien spaceship. So i haven't been sitting still.

All objects at the moment are fully NURBS and rather easy to manipulate. But they will be converted in the end to get some descent uv's.

cheers

adib
04-01-2008, 10:37 AM
The models looks nice! Keep going!Good luck!

Nothingness
04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1207572098_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1207572098_large.jpg)

Okay, last thing i've been up to is model the living room and find out how i can light the stuff in a most simple manner. I've set up a sun and sky system with 2 portal areas and with a little tweaking and render time i came up with this.

In the progress i will try and get a fog effect that will enhance the passing by of a spaceship blocking the light in the room. I know you can't see the whole picture cause there is no storyboard yet.

but it will come

Nothingness
04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
The models looks nice! Keep going!Good luck!

let's hope we can keep up :thumbsup:

Nothingness
04-14-2008, 04:02 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1208142117_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1208142117_large.jpg)

It feels like i haven't done a lot this week, but comparing this to my previous renders i must say I'm satisfied with the result.
Only thing i seem to forget are the chair for the table in the kitchen.

There is a big chance the big chairs are gonna be rearranged when i figured out what i want to do exactly with the animation. Some ideas exist in my head but i still haven't put the m down.

up to the next part : character modeling!

infoarq
04-14-2008, 05:45 AM
i love this retro style.... in special textures,meshes and ilumination (all??? yeeeeees)

Congratulations!!

Nothingness
04-15-2008, 01:39 AM
hey tomas,

textures are all rather simple. Mostly it's just setting up the material and a minimum of textures. Reflection and a little bump can do a lot. Also a lot for your render time :curious:

But it's about time to really start working on the storyboard. Have a lot of ideas but still not a whole picture.

cheers

liviuberechet
04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Yello!

I must agree with Nothingness. Reflection and more bumb/displacement. Over all... the modeling, rendering, lights and of course the style that your going foor looks very good !!

Keep it up! Good luck!

my Uplift Universe
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=236&t=615136 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=236&t=615136)

gpepper
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Tu nous refait la maison de Bilbon en version futuriste ? :)

Nothingness
04-23-2008, 03:50 AM
Hey Liviu, thanks a lot.
I could spend a lot of time on just modeling and getting more detail and whatever. But it seems there is already a hell lot of time that has passed and need to put more time in what i'm not really formilliar with. And this is rigging and animation. Let's hope that goes well.

Hey Master GPepper,
Where have you been? Been so quiet around the french group.
I guess it's the round window that make it think of bilbo's house right :twisted:
I love the round windows and give the room a whole different style then would i have used square ones.

ps. I live in the flemisch part of belgium and not the french part :beer: but i understand it enough :bounce:

cheers and let's get busy. At the moment i'm modeling the body of the kid character. The head is mainly done. I'll have a rough time doing the rigging and skinning but i'll skip the cloth simulation to give me a break.

until the next update (or your update ;-) )

gpepper
04-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Master GPepper,
I guess it's the round window that make it think of bilbo's house right :twisted:
I love the round windows and give the room a whole different style then would i have used square ones.

ps. I live in the flemisch part of belgium and not the french part :beer: but i understand it enough :bounce:

yep, Nico, sorry, I thought you were in the french part ! Cool that you understood...

Nothingness
04-23-2008, 01:37 PM
yep, Nico, sorry, I thought you were in the french part ! Cool that you understood...

no prob Gilles, we are kind of froced to know dutch english as well as french. For some we can even do German. It's pretty handy sometimes :twisted:

liviuberechet
04-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey Liviu, thanks a lot.
I could spend a lot of time on just modeling and getting more detail and whatever. But it seems there is already a hell lot of time that has passed and need to put more time in what i'm not really formilliar with. And this is rigging and animation. Let's hope that goes well.

Hey Master GPepper,

cheers and let's get busy. At the moment i'm modeling the body of the kid character. The head is mainly done. I'll have a rough time doing the rigging and skinning but i'll skip the cloth simulation to give me a break.

until the next update (or your update ;-) )

If you don't have to much exp. on rigging i say to go for Character Studio... I gets the job done really good and helps on the animation part a lot

Nothingness
04-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks Liviu,

but I'm using Maya and not 3dsmax :cool:
i have a bit experience with rigging and animation but i love a challenge :banghead:

let's hope i don't get in to much probs on the way

cheers

melkao
04-25-2008, 03:25 AM
nice house Style!..i like the abient that you give it....you are using mental ray...rigth?

Nothingness
05-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Hey Carlos,
thanks for the comment!

and unfortunately it is Mental Ray indeed. Wished i had some more options for renders on the mac. Let's hope much to come soon.

cheers

infoarq
05-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Nico!!

how are you?
have you got these free days?
i īm working in client project again (itīs a web, in last test, they change all....... quit a lot text and put pictures....)

i hope start again with my project!!

see you later 8!!

Nothingness
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Tomas,

I've been modeling my characters so it's not like my challenge is at a halt :thumbsup:
I'm modeling 4 characters and i'm only going to show 2 in the remaining time. The other 2 are mainly to keep the plot for the animation a little secret. I already finished 2 and am busy on the others.

There are still 2 weeks and in those 2 weeks i have around 7 days i can work on the modeling. After these 2 weeks i'll have my full 3 weeks time to spend all on the challenge. I hope to have all modeling done by then so i can start the first week with rigging and skinning. Those will be the hardest for me. Then i'll spend time animating the scenes and look at what i can do and still need to do.

So i hope you find the time soon to work on yours cause it looks sweet and you already put in a lot of work.
cheers and see ya soon m8 !! :beer:

Nothingness
05-16-2008, 12:26 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1210893977_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/21/14356/14356_1210893977_large.jpg)

I know it's been too long since my last update, but i still even haven't shown my 4 characters i did. Problem is that to keep the essence of the story a secret i'll only show 2 character in time and also keep a few details for the spaceship hidden as well.

Only thing i forgot to do here is to make the legs where the spaceship lands on. Let's hurry up and get it on the road. Shading won't be too complex like the interior so let's hope there are no probs there.

cheers

mikebot
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
diggin' the spaceship & room both... When do we get to see animation though?? hehe

Nothingness
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM
thnx moljnir!

animation of the spaceship is comming very close and from monday i can finally start rigging and skinning my characters. Hope it's gonna be done fast it with not too much probs.

cheers

infoarq
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Nico!!

How are you?
and your work?

Problaby this night i will finish my client project and i will start tomorrow with my anim.

Now iīm modeling our 8īs Machine in toon style. hahahaha i like this model!!

see you later.

Tomas.

Nothingness
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey Tomas,

great to hear you are back in the game! Here i'm still trying to learn all i can about rigging and skinning but it takes so much time. I hope i'll know enough to make the rig fast and efficient enough for the challenge. I must say that i am already behind schedule.
Who knows, maybe i can finish off the rig before the week ends.

The spaceship is finished except for the shading. But i was waiting for some other stuff so i can create my custom HDRI map for the environment. No use in doing shaders when I have to do it over again or tweak them cause of the final environment.

So, now the next few fases are = rigging 4 characters, shading these characters in their environment, doing the animation (will be a nightmare) and finishing off what needs to be done.
And all this plus rendering in a little over 2,3 weeks. Damn.

ps. can't wait to see the cartoony macPro. Maybe you can call it the cartoonytosh

cheers

infoarq
05-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Nico, i must go to home....

visit my thread.... problably you love this model.... hahaha Eggplant pro.

bye.

melkao
05-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Long time...very musch time at work?...i undesrtand..is my same problem. but the update looks promesing..the desing of that ship looks really cool..nice job.:applause:

Nothingness
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey Tomas, Melkao,

I think the 3 months are way to short compared to the 4 months the other challenges had. Especially for animation. And i'm not an animator nor a rigger/skinner. The 3 months don't give me the time to get it all up to speed and get the rigged characters ready in time.

So it's time to say I throw in the white flag!

After this I'm going to enjoy the rest of my vacation and put my effort into my private projects. Also i'll focus more on creating a great rig and practice my animation. Only then I'll have more insight on how to improve the rig. You can't design a car if you don't what it needs to drive it.

cheers and good luck to all.
I'lve learned something this challenge. But maybe not enough!

ivanisavich
05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Aww that sucks mate :(

Hopefully you can find a use for that ship in another project....the design was great!

Nothingness
05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
let's hope so.
Maybe i'm gonna finish the spaceship shading and animation plus it's landing. It'll be at least some practice.

ciao

infoarq
06-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey Nico how are your project...???

I hope fine...

I my case problably a canīt finish... because i need more time (client project take a lot time)
and i learning to riging too.

Nothingness
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
hey Tomas

too bad to hear that! If you read the top message of this page you might read i'm not finishing too :argh:

i find the time schedule lot less that other times so way too short to do animations and all.

cheers and we'll hope for an extension. Who knows

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.