PDA

View Full Version : "Keep Faces Together" - Extruding several polygons

noviolence
03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering how you are able to extrude several (connected) Polygons at once without ending up in several extrusions. Some of you may know "keep faces together" from Maya...

Where is it in Modo, .. I just couldnt find it.

cthurston
03-20-2008, 02:10 AM
There is no 'nut' at the top of the neck (the piece that separates the fingerboard and the head where the strings are guided through). The head kind of dips down onto the neck at that point.
If there is any variation in the diameter of the strings I can't see it. I know the strings are thicker on a base but you should still be able to see the diameter variation.
The strings seem to end by intersecting the posts of the tuning keys. I know that wrapping them around the posts is an arduous task but if you are not up to that it would still be better to shift the ends of them to the far side (visually) of the posts so that it looks as though they may be wrapping or at at least inserted into the posts (you could make holes in the posts where the strings meet them).
The head itself seems short for a Rickenbacker and the edges, a little too rounded.
Judging by the shadows and the reflections, the neck seems a little squared around the back side. If it is fairly square you could hide this a bit more by turning off the amount of reflection you have on it's material.
You mention that it is from an intermediate modeling class. Given that information I'd say this is a very ambitious piece and you have done an excellent job. Don't be dishearten by my comments. They're only intended as critical support. I think your model is good and the rendering is good as well.
My thinking is that you are very close to a really excellent image (Portfolio level). My belief is that the difference between a really good image and a poor one are largely played out in the details. I'm only suggesting details.

Curt

noviolence
03-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Eeeerrm, .. thanks for your detailed help, but I think you've picked the wrong thread. ;)

brenly
03-20-2008, 06:24 AM
totally .. its all in the details!:buttrock:

seriously.. are you using extrude or shift? Shift will extrude polys seperately, where as extrude will keep them together

OdhinnKohout
03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
The feature you are looking for in Modo is called "Group Polygons."
Here is how you access it:
1.Import your object into Modo and select some poly-faces
2. HotKey "B" will activate the bevel function for the selected faces.
3.To the lower left of your UI you will notice your bevel settings.
4.From here you will notice a "Group Polygons" which you can now check(keep faces together) or unchecked which as you know will extrude the faces on their own seperate axis.

Hope that helped.

noviolence
03-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, Indeed. I was using Shift insteat of Extrude. I thought shift would be easier to manage cause you dont have to mess around with any handles in the viewport, .. you just drag the slider as far as you want it, and it keeps the direction.

Maybe I've got a general problem in understanding tools.
With some Tools, i can just adjust some values in the tool properties, and you can watch their effect simultaneously in the viewport, with others you have to press apply and sometimes they say: not possible, cause the tool's already interactive. Also if I didnt want it to be.

brenly
03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
This might help
http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video.php?v=1069

noviolence
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
okay, now everything should be pretty clear, huh? ;)
Thanks again :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.