PDA

View Full Version : Slow Skeleton Interaction

NeptuneImaging
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone, has anyone ever experienced slow skeleton interaction when working in XSI? LIke right now, I am working on some animation on my character and I am dealing with the controls not moving right away (it takes like 6 seconds to move a single node). I have my character at the lowest subdivision lvl and still the skeleton is slow, i have everything hidden except the character skeleton...

NOTHING should be this slow. Can anyone shed some light on this?

My machine specs:

Intel Core2Duo Quad E6600 2.4Ghz
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
4gb Corsair XMS DDR-800
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Thanks

Kashif

ambient-whisper
03-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Hey everyone, has anyone ever experienced slow skeleton interaction when working in XSI? LIke right now, I am working on some animation on my character and I am dealing with the controls not moving right away (it takes like 6 seconds to move a single node). I have my character at the lowest subdivision lvl and still the skeleton is slow, i have everything hidden except the character skeleton...

NOTHING should be this slow. Can anyone shed some light on this?

My machine specs:

Intel Core2Duo Quad E6600 2.4Ghz
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
4gb Corsair XMS DDR-800
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Thanks

Kashif

i believe that the best way to go about this is to do a layered approach. have a low rez rig, transfer the animation to a higher rez rig for fine tuning, and go from there. it takes more work to set up but you should see a nice speed up.

im guessing that you just overloaded the rig with too much stuff. is there anything that you can optimize by any chance? certain nodes use more calculation time than others, and some expressions could maybe be more efficient?

sorry this doesnt answer your question per say, but im just trying to point out that maybe you could look within your scene if you could perhaps freeze something, or optimize your rig as well?

without seeing your scene its hard to tell.

by the way, the layered approach im talking about is the same method that jason schleifer described in his maya classes. i know its maya, but the concepts are portable to any application.

NeptuneImaging
03-20-2008, 02:01 AM
i believe that the best way to go about this is to do a layered approach. have a low rez rig, transfer the animation to a higher rez rig for fine tuning, and go from there. it takes more work to set up but you should see a nice speed up.

im guessing that you just overloaded the rig with too much stuff. is there anything that you can optimize by any chance? certain nodes use more calculation time than others, and some expressions could maybe be more efficient?

sorry this doesnt answer your question per say, but im just trying to point out that maybe you could look within your scene if you could perhaps freeze something, or optimize your rig as well?

without seeing your scene its hard to tell.

by the way, the layered approach im talking about is the same method that jason schleifer described in his maya classes. i know its maya, but the concepts are portable to any application.

Hey Whisper,

I figured out why my scene was slow as shit...i had these Surface operators that update the hair guides when the character moves...i took care of it though and everything is quick again... thanks :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 02:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.