PDA

View Full Version : Subtract Bevel

jessenator
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi. New on the forums here.

I've been using Maya for several years and Have always been frustrated with the bevel plus tool's ability as far as generating a beveled (routed) edge on a mesh created from a cruve. It seems to add to the area around the curve rather than subtract from it, like a true routed edge would be.
example: I'm trying to model my Fender Jazz Bass, and am running into this problem.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/cbjessen/promblems_1.jpg
The mesh on the left is done with the Bevel Plus tool, and the right is done by doing a poly bevel on the top face (doing essentially what I want it to), but it leaves overlapping geometry: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/cbjessen/promblems_2.jpg And essentially renders it prone to problems with booleans and further deformation.

I've seen some fabulous guitars on this forum and others, and I really wish I new how to get this to look right.

I'm essentially a self taught Maya user, so there may be some 'traditional' chanels I haven't tapped to achieve what I'm after. Any help is much appreciated!

C

BroKanHeart
03-20-2008, 05:58 AM
u can play in bevel option width and segments... n u hve to c also in curve vertex. how many vertex in there....in vurve vertex will be smooth okey.. first do that.. its help u..

jessenator
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
okay... Well, I appreciate your help, but I'm having a hard time understanding your message.:shrug: So i think I got the jist of it.

Changing the options with the bevel: I've already tried that, and like I said I DON'T want to use the bevel options within the Bevel Plus tool because they don't do what I want. I have looked at the options within the Poly Bevel and I still run into problems.

As far as curves go: I unerstand that the amount of CVs is related to how detailed my mesh is- that's not my question, though. In tight places (where I circled that image) it will overlap. The angle there needs to be 90, not rounded out. (which is what happens when I rebuild the curve) I did find out that rebuilding the curve will evenly distribute the CVs... so I guess that's good.

I made all of my curves in Illustrator and imported them. Do I have to start over and make my curves completely within maya so my meshes work properly?

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.