PDA

View Full Version : select edges by 2 or 3

vasavoir
03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
hi .
I would like to simplify manually the process to make low polygon by selecting first edges and store it in array, then select 1edge by 2 from the created array and delete it.

for instance, i have a cylinder with 18 sides in parameters, convert it to Editable poly.
then select edge by 2 to have a result of just 9 side.

So, how can i write it in maxscript because I am not use in bit array.

thanks.

Gravey
03-20-2008, 01:40 AM
dude, I wrote a script to do exactly this just last night!

It currently works with EditablePoly ONLY. Edit_Poly modifiers seem to have a bug that is preventing me from supporting them as well.

There's one other bug which I noticed this morning but it's fixable. When I fix it i'll post it here for you

vasavoir
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks.
because the multires modifier is too destructive, it doesn't respect th global shape of the geometry. With the demo of Polygon cruncher, the result is in triangles, no quad.
The detriangulator script ,for instance work on side of cylinder but not on top.

so, it is why i want a script to optimize geometry in a semi-automatic way.

Gravey
03-21-2008, 01:14 AM
i've attached the file to this post. Simply unzip, run from max once, then add it to a keyboard shortcut / toolbar etc via Customize User Interface. Category is JH_Tools

A dialog will pop up allowing you to choose the nth number and there's a checkbox to auto select the loop once the ring selection is done

I fixed that 'fixable' bug i mensioned in my previous post but its still not working for Edit_Poly so only use it with EditablePoly.
After some speed tests I found that it becomes quite slow in proportion to the density of the mesh AND the full number of edges in the to-be-selected ring.
a sphere of 32 segments (992 Edges) with total ring size of 32 was fine at 0.153 seconds
a sphere of 200 segments (39800 Edges) with total ring size of 99 was quite slow at 12.5 seconds
the same sphere of 200 segments (39800 Edges) with total ring size of 200 was slower still at 25.7 seconds
after removing 2 edges on the same ring from the above mensioned sphere to create a ring of 11 edges, selecting every nth took 1.5 seconds

I think in the long run it still would b less painful and faster to use this script than to manually select every nth.

let me know how it goes

vasavoir
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
thank you so much.
Yes it will be less painfull then select manually!

It works great! good job! congratulation :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.