PDA

View Full Version : Arthur C. Clarke dies

SergioSantos
03-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Arthur C. Clarke, who wrote "2001: A Space Odyssey", died at 1:30 a.m. after suffering breathing problems.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/03/18/obit.clarke.ap/index.html

joie
03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I am deeply impressed by this news..., I love his books, the last one was superb!.

I'll say a little pray for him. One of the biggest loss I can imagine of now :(

ThirdEye
03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Now this really made me sad today.

Dennik
03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Sad news indeed. I kinda got the feeling that someone important was going to die one of these days...

I was reading the Time Odyssey series of books, and i was looking forward for the next book where we would most probably find out more about who the First Born are.
Too bad its probably going to be left unfinished. I wonder if Stephen Baxter the co author has enough material to finish it.

Anyway. He will be missed. A true giant in the world of sci-fi literature. Tully irreplaceable.

Ollarin
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Very sad news indeed.
My sister and I spent our childhood watching his programs (He had a TV series about 10 years ago about other planets, solar systems, aliens, etc.)

He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends. :(

RobertoOrtiz
03-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow, it is sad to see another one of the pilars of Scifi fade away.

He will be missed.

-R

eek
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
He's gone back from where he came: stardust - which is nice thought, since he loved space, time, the cosmos and all. And also a great age 90! Had an amazing life :)

SergioSantos
03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
stardust

that was Carl Sagan, but yes, he will be missed, I enjoyed a lot all the books I read from him (he is one of my favourites authors).

I wonder if NASA or ESA has something planned (with the permission his family), it could be nice if they could do a tribute to him.

eek
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
that was Carl Sagan, but yes, he will be missed, I enjoyed a lot all the books I read from him (he is one of my favourites authors).

I wonder if NASA or ESA has something planned (with the permission his family), it could be nice if they could do a tribute to him.

Well seeing as our planet and everything living, or made by us is essentially stardust, any form of death will return you 'home' if you will. You dont have to be blasted into space to be stardust, you could be buried under a tree. You'll always return from whence you came. :)

christianS
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I was also shocked when i read it earlier today.

But it was a long life and certainly one that leaves a mark.
I am re-reading Childhood's End at the moment - simply great what Clarke's mind came up with.

I was reading the Time Odyssey series of books, and i was looking forward for the next book where we would most probably find out more about who the First Born are.
Too bad its probably going to be left unfinished. I wonder if Stephen Baxter the co author has enough material to finish it.

As far as i know part 3 "First Born" is finished. You can order it at Amazon. I certainly will.

ColdKodiak
03-19-2008, 06:22 PM
It's sad, but it's great that we had him for so long too.

90 isn't a horrible age to go. And we get one last book out of him :]

that's how I'd like to go, being creative to the end.

christianS
03-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I just read, that he finished another manuscript called "The Last Theorem" together with Frederik Pohl. It is supposed to be released in 2008. Something to look forward i guess.

Parsec3d
03-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Worst News ever...!! no more scifi giants alive.

joie
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
In my opinion, the worst news is that this thread is only one page long!, come on, this man deserves a 100 pages thread...

MasterZap
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
In my opinion, the worst news is that this thread is only one page long!, come on, this man deserves a 100 pages thread...

It is sad, although I must admit I was more sad when Asimov went; he was still producing stunning stuff. I think the pairing of Clarke and Gentry Lee always was a bad idea.

But he will still be sorely missed.... :(

In memoriam... (http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/star_clarke.html)

/Z

ultramedia
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
HAL be missed

Parsec3d
03-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Roberto this thread MUST be Plugged .. and also would be great to have a Memorial Challenge of some kind. VFX, Modeling, you name it..