PDA

View Full Version : Painter X Education Edition vs. Non-Education???

sirbingo
03-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Hey Y'all,

Does anybody know the difference in features between the Corel Painter X Education Edition and the Corel Painter X Full edition.

The education version is $99 US and the Full version is $400 US...Yikes!!!

:scream:

mhovland
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Should be no difference in functionality.

Educational version is for students and teachers (people who are not using the software professionally, also know as not making money).

Pro is if you intend on making money with the software.

PrinnyKing3
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I got the student version but was really bummed to find that I couldn't try to publish any of my comics I make with it, so now I'm saving up for the full version. I recommend you do that too if you intend to take the program to any kind of professional environment.

Otherwise, edu version works just fine; I think there is litterally no component lacking in it that can only be fouind in the pro edition.

sirbingo
03-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for responding to my post.

PrinnyKing3,

Is there some sort of restriction in saving files with education version? Or is it on the honor system that you don't use the educational version for profesional work?

Improv
03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I got the student version but was really bummed to find that I couldn't try to publish any of my comics I make with it, so now I'm saving up for the full version. I recommend you do that too if you intend to take the program to any kind of professional environment.

Otherwise, edu version works just fine; I think there is litterally no component lacking in it that can only be fouind in the pro edition.

What exactly did you expect from an educational/student version? The point is to allow you to learn the software at a good price. If you make money from the software, of course you should have to pay full price for it.

It seem rather obvious, actually! :shrug:

PrinnyKing3
03-19-2008, 10:19 PM
What exactly did you expect from an educational/student version? The point is to allow you to learn the software at a good price. If you make money from the software, of course you should have to pay full price for it.

It seem rather obvious, actually! :shrug:

In retrospect, it seems obvious, but I just knew that I was getting a student discount when I bought it, not that it was actually an inferior version of the program. I was really excited about the product and the discount and I guess I didn't think things through as well as I might have otherwise.

PrinnyKing3
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for responding to my post.

PrinnyKing3,

Is there some sort of restriction in saving files with education version? Or is it on the honor system that you don't use the educational version for profesional work?

Other than the license, it seems to be the exact same program. I can't be 100% sure because I don't own the pro version yet, but I have no problem saving or doing the things I read about doing with the program in websites and and a book. I'm only limited right now by my own shortcomings and the fact that I can't sell what I make; no problems with the program quality.

Also, the thing comes in a really crappy case with no instruction booklet, but that really isn't very important I suppose.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.