PDA

View Full Version : Surface study>>> warm and cool

ambassador
12-14-2001, 12:51 AM
i was doing some experimentation with light scattering across an object to see what kind of dramatic effects i could create :p , here is one i came up with. i notice the way that the light flows across the object with the suface i created really depends on what type of bump texture you use... it was also made to be used with caustics.

http://www.lwg3d.org/files/1008138876.jpg

here is the surface on a plain sphere, plus the object with a default surface, and a surfaced one rendered with radiosity.

http://www.lwg3d.org/files/1008139104.jpg

pascal_blanche
12-14-2001, 01:25 AM
nice study ambass... is it a render direct from lightwave? I mean... no plugs added and all?

ambassador
12-14-2001, 01:54 AM
thanks, yeah, no commercial plugs, pure render

i will apply it to an actual piece later when i find good use for it ;)

SheepFactory
12-18-2001, 04:48 AM
really nice render...

how long did it take to render ? I am thinking about importing my Maya scene to LW to render with radiosity but i never did radiosity before so have no clue on the render times.

ps: we are going to the same collage by the way

A|i

ambassador
12-18-2001, 10:00 AM
Sheep Factory,

it rendered in less than 10 minutes using 4 area lights, 1 volumetric light, and caustics , at a little larger size than posted.

Radiosity in LW7 is pretty fast, most of the time its faster than area lights, i have a character that renders in 40 min using radiosity, compared to 3 hours using multiple area lights...all matters what type of scene your rendering though

"ps: we are going to the same collage by the way"

cool:) what year?...hey did you register yet, ha ha , i always wait untill the last minute:D

SheepFactory
12-18-2001, 03:38 PM
Cool i'll give it a try , cause area light are killing me too :(

Of course i didnt register yet , where is the fun in registering early? , i love the last minute rush:D

i am third semester by the way , what about you?

A|i

ambassador
12-18-2001, 07:26 PM
cool, im halfway through my second year. yeah i ussually wait until the last minute, but this semester you have to make an appointment to get your classes, you cant just walk in and get them in the same day anymore:mad:

SheepFactory
12-19-2001, 05:49 PM
yeah i know:(

So did you get the first 3d animation and modelling classes? or did you wave out of them?

I guess you get to pick which software you are going to focus on right?. Because some people told me that it depends on the instructor. say one instructor likes a particular piece of software he forces you to use it and so on.

What do you think?

A|i

ambassador
12-19-2001, 06:45 PM
My first ones next semmester, it CAPS, computer animation production...my friends tell me its pretty basic though, they teach you how to use the NT, and lunix network, file conversion, adobe after effects compositing, and the -very- basics of 3d ...."BORING":rolleyes:
and i heard the final was a "flying logo" animation :rolleyes: haha:p I was making flying 3d logos when i was a junior in highschool:p

the only classes that one can wave out of are foundations or the english and math classes, but not the animation ones.

you choose the software you want to use after your first or second CAPS class...in the first caps class i heard you touch bases on all the apps, but still the very basics :rolleyes:

SheepFactory
12-19-2001, 08:35 PM
i know :(

we'll probably sleep through caps. they are going to teach you how to move a sphere by keyframing it. thats pretty advanced :p

at least thats an easy A for you :D

See ya

A|i

log
12-19-2001, 09:19 PM
which college are you going to and what kind of education do they have?
im kind of curious because i'd like to study abroad a year and learn english even better (lived in LA 96-96 :D )
but now im in my last year of high school and i'd like to do something fun after my military service!
cya

SheepFactory
12-19-2001, 09:25 PM
We are talking about the academy of art collage in san francisco

feel free to check out their website , its one of the worst websites on the net today. Makes you wonder :p

www.academyart.edu

ambassador
12-19-2001, 10:48 PM
yeah, there site sucks, even more so because its a art and design school...i think they havent updated that site for a few years, haha

gL_spear
12-21-2001, 08:47 AM
lovely render ambassador, you gotta post a indepth tutorial on that lighting tech!!!!!

:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.