PDA

View Full Version : LW noob with Motion Mixer/ACS4 questions

turbo
05-07-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm trying to get started with character animation.
Can anyone give me a point form description of how to load a motion file into motion mixer?
Specifically, using a rigged character such as one done using ACS4.
I never really got to see the bolo walking.
Also, trying to move the sliders doesn't seem to work for me.
Do I have to unlock stuff in the scene editor? Any help is appreciated.
:banghead:

nostromo_va
05-07-2003, 06:03 PM
The slider thingy thew me off too. There is an explanation in the FAQ area on the ACS4 . I felt so stoopid when I found out the answer, so you are in good company :D

There is a "Slider" activation dohicky near the middle of the item tab on your LW Menu. Just like Move or Rotate.

I use ACS4 for my rigging now, it works great. Really good if you are too busy/lazy to do a full set of weight maps.

I just started dinking around with Motion Mixer. It would be more helpfull if the documentation showed something a little more elaborate than having a camera move up in one frame of an animation. :shrug:

After much trial and a lot of error, I got it to work for one walkcycle. It is a very awkward interface for something that has so much potential. I am sure my ignorance is the primary culprit here.

I have searched for better tutes, and can't find much. Would be my vote for the next tute to go on Newtek's website.

My advice would be, if you are working with MM - create a motion you like, save a pristine copy of it, then work with MM in a different copy. Save often. Buy a six-pack of Red Bull or Jolt! cola, or get a caffine drip from Starbucks.
Good luck :thumbsup:

turbo
05-07-2003, 10:36 PM
*sigh, ah... its so much reading of stuff I am only barely beginning to comprehend..
I am sure I looked for the slider activation doohickey you mentioned, tried everything I could think of, but no go.
But I will try again. :)

I agree about more MM documentation. I, too have searched for many tuts but to no avail.
Seems it is assumed we already have an understanding and in my case, nada. Total noob to animation. :p

... and now for a bit o' courage..
*needs beer. :beer:

turbo
05-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Ok, I found the button again but when I press it, I get "Plugin Sliders failed to start."
So I go to add plugins and search the directories but can't see anything that looks like a sliders plugin.
Anyone know where to find the appropriate plugin? :hmm:

turbo
05-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Shouldn't it go like this ? ...
1) Load Bolo.lws
2) Load Motion ... browse to directory, select Bolo_Walk.hmot
3) Play

When I press play ... the scrolling button key thingy moves but the bolo model disappears showing only the rigging/controls and the bounding box.

Is this how it looks for everyone, or is it system related?

EDIT:
Whoohoo! Got the motion mixer part working! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.