PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to render particle(cloud type) using mental ray custom shader

movector
03-18-2008, 04:13 PM
maya software render particle(cloud type) lack of raymarch(most important to get real volume), mental ray is a great raytracer(fast and easy to do raymarch) and also has detailed shadow map(a efficient way to mimic volume i think), so is it posible to use mental ray custom shader to shade particle(cloud type)?
even no existing built in custom shader could do this, anyone have some idea to develop it ?
if anyone have some experience on this, please share with us!

movector
03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Anyone have experience on this?
Please, lord Duncan, give me some directions!

Als
03-23-2008, 03:47 AM
It's possible.
You can find shader developed for this, it's a bit expensive, but very good as well.
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/clouds/whatsnew35.htm

There are free shaders on this web site and one of those can be used:

PT_texcoord

Particle texture coordinates creates unique texture coordinates for each particle sprite. Plug it into the coord input of a 3d texture like 4DFractal (and set it to external coords)
Hope this helps a bit...

Als

movector
03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Als.

Particle shader is close to what i want, but not exactly. it only generate texture from particles to be used by volume shader(real to raymarch), but should be a good alternative i think.

PT_texcoord seems not related to raymarch volume from online description, have u used it?

It's possible.
You can find shader developed for this, it's a bit expensive, but very good as well.
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/clouds/whatsnew35.htm

There are free shaders on this web site and one of those can be used:

PT_texcoord

Particle texture coordinates creates unique texture coordinates for each particle sprite. Plug it into the coord input of a 3d texture like 4DFractal (and set it to external coords)
Hope this helps a bit...

Als

Als
03-23-2008, 02:54 PM
It says that it can pass texture coordinates, so I thought it might be worth a shot using it with fluids, but I haven't tried it myself yet, so maybe it's not relevant...
You can check on binary alchemy forum, maybe they did.

Als

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2008, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.