PDA

View Full Version : SMPTE Timecode in timeline - how to remove leading zeroes?

Navstar
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Is there a way to remove the leading zeroes in the timecode readout when I animate using SMPTE Timecode (Preferences > Units > Animation Units). I rarely if ever animate projects longer than one minute.

I like working in timecode because it's more intuitive than working in frames, but my timeline gets over run with overlapping timecodes because the leading zeroes make time counters very wide.

Kokosing
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
By definition SMPTE is an 8 digit code. So unless someone added this functionality, I fairly certain you can't do this. I agree that this would be very handy. (Feet and Frames might be useful too.)

I thought of one long-winded work around using the Enhance shaders (a plugin.) One of the display shaders has several options for timecode display. So you could apply this to a plane, set the illumination tab in the material to animate preview. Lock this to your camera, or perhaps you might be able to stick it in the hud. Keep your time units preferences set to frames. This way your timeline isn't clogged up with zero's, but you can always view your seconds and frames in the viewer.

Hope that's helpful.

W

Navstar
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
That's a great idea. Unfortunately, that's a little expensive for my needs.

I was curious if there was some C4D preference file I could hack to make SMPTE display fewer leading zeros.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.