PDA

View Full Version : Mud to Zbrush

CKPinson
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry to say but I've abandoned my faithful Mud for a UI nightmare Zbrush. It generates better Normal and Displacement Maps and that is the WHOLE idea for me. Yes, Mud has a much better UI and I enjoy modeling in it but I can't use my High meshs in Maya and I can't seem to extract worthy Displacement or Normals Maps from it. I spend days to just end up with some very poor to blank Maps. So to take your project you've been working on and don't want to lose your progress just take it to the highest level or at least your most satisfying level then export as obj. then open Zbrush and import then in Geometry click Reconstruct and you'll notice another lower level mesh will be there- go to that lower level then reconstruct again- keep doing that until you have the levels you want.
Carl "Once Faithful Mud User Now Converted".

RoundRobbin
03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
even with your uv's from your 3d program layed out previously to bringing in to mudbox?

CKPinson
03-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes- I've noticed that my UVs stay the same- I've Unwrapped UVs using Maya, Roadkill, and Pelting Tools (depending on the situation) and everytime have then obj export to Mud to Model but have recently decided to buckle down and learn Zbrush so I have taken the highest acceptable res of these meshs and then imported them into Zbrush and utilized the Reconstruct button in GEO under the Tool Menu which will create a lower division- I do this a couple of times since it is my highest mesh or close to it, or til I'm satisfied. Another thing about ZBrush (3.1) I like is that your UV's are displayed at your texture window at all times so I can see them. You have more ways to create a Normal and you can get a good displacement. I've had a lot of headaches over map issues with Mud and usually have ended up settling for Maya's internal Transfer Maps functions but the problem with that is it restricts your poly count to fewer than possible with ZBrush or Mud. I really do love Mud and have been "loyal" for a while (version 1.0.7) but I just can't cope with the issues and lack of functionallity that Zbrush has- sure, Zbrush is a freggin mess and the UI sucks very BADDLY but you can do some pretty cool things and quickly too giving more time to tweak and fix. I love the projection feature where you can throw the self made textures or photos directly onto your mesh and pull and tweak your mesh to fit it and then use the Zapplink to send that into PS for more fixing and painting if your heart desires. Get the idea? So to answer your question- Yes you can use UVs from a previous App, but if none are assigned Zbrush will assign a funky square row/column type one.

RoundRobbin
03-19-2008, 01:20 AM
thanks for sharing your toubleshoot.

CKPinson
03-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Don't mention it. Oh, by the way, even if you export the higher mesh from Mud into Zbrush and reconstruct lower levels you'll still have the UV unwrap you did initially from Maya or whatever.

mindsample
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
As asked in my other thread recently, do you have any idea of how to do the opposite, export levels from Zbrush into Mudbox and recreate the links between the levels?

CKPinson
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
There's not a function that seperates the levels for you so you have to do it manually and to achieve this you'd: ZBrush Level 1 export mesh as obj and save as level1 (or preference), level2, and etc. Then in Mud import Level1 then subdivide and import level 2 as layer and so on, or you can try to import level 1 then subdivide to max level and import that level as layer. (note Mud accepts ngons whereas Zbrush doesn't therefore Zbrush will split those into quads or tris therefore changing the vertex order so make sure your mesh is quads incase you decide to export/import between an app and ZBrush or Mud). Let me know if that helps. Now I refigured the import/export concept into ZBrush: You'd export you max level from Mud into ZBrush then reconstruct the lower levels by pressing the reconstruct button located near divide etc. HOPE THIS HELPS!

mindsample
04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for that.

I exported my levels from Zbrush, and imported my base level (1) into mudbox. What I am now unsure about is how to link level 2, level 3 etc. to my level 1? I want to achieve the ability to export displacements in mudbox from the different levels that I imported from zbrush.
How do I re-establish the "subdivision hierachy?!"

CKPinson
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
You subdivide your base mesh to the same number of times as your highest mesh from Zbrush (example: ZBrush levels 1,2,3,4 Mudbox 0,1,2,3) take level 1 ZBrush to Mud now 0 then subdivide 3 times to be equal to highest Zbrush level 4 then with the highest level (3) active in Mud you import your ZBrush level 4 as a LAYER. Inside Mudbox you'll see the option to import as layer- this basically blends in the new mesh as long as the vertex order is the same. If you find the mid range levels aren't the same automatically as they were in ZBrush then you'l do the same for each level to get your desired effect- I've noticed that Mud doesn't project alterations to the highest level down through the lower levels as effectively as ZBrush.

mindsample
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I will give it a try later today and let you know if it worked, thanks for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.