PDA

View Full Version : clipping problem

THUR
03-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Ive been having some clipping problems for a while, allready posted it a few times but never found a solution. So here i'm at it again, animating the new plankton episode and I need to go in closeups .. the problem is that the poly's dissapear when getting to close.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=125530&stc=1

Nothing seems to help and I must be missing something. Someone care to help?
Many thanks,
Joeri

MarkInTx
03-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Ive been having some clipping problems for a while, allready posted it a few times but never found a solution. So here i'm at it again, animating the new plankton episode and I need to go in closeups .. the problem is that the poly's dissapear when getting to close. Nothing seems to help and I must be missing something. Someone care to help?
Many thanks,
Joeri

I know nothing about anything... but I have seen the same problem in another app, and I find that if I scale my model down, I can get close without losing the polys. (Even when I zoom back in).

Have you tried that by any chance?

THUR
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Yip .. tried that to :)

peksi
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Can you post some example scene with this problem? I tried to get it clip like in your pic, but couldn't. Only when camera was almost past the polys, it clipped (as expected). When zooming in it didn't clip at all. But looking from your pic it doesn't look that it's that close. I am on tabletpc with GF6600 TE 128mb.

isobarxx
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Have you tried adjusting the grid size? Or physically move the view back (ctrl+alt+mouse) and then zoom in (alt+shift+mouse)?

kursad_pileksuz
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
try changing grid size, "[" "]" keys are used for grid size by default.

Zimtower
03-19-2008, 08:11 AM
That is the problem, this happens to me a lot in lightwave because the camera is too big and you need to change the grid size to make it smaller.

Lex1342
03-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi,

I have a similar problem, but it is not changing while zooming or dollying. I thought it might be due to the "grahic card" since it only happens on my laptop with only the Intel Graphics Media Accellerator (Messiah 2.5) and not on my workstation with a Quadro 550 (Messiah 3). I tried to change the OGL settings of the Graphics Media Accellerator, but didnīt get it to work properly.

I will post an update if anything chages when I updated the laptop to V3 too.

Cheers
LX

THUR
03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
try changing grid size, "[" "]" keys are used for grid size by default.

Tried that to but the only thing happens with this is that the size of nulls, ect change, the clipping stays the same.
I'm doing voice-recordings today but I'l try to post a sample scene tonight, like peksi mentioned that is the best way to explain the problem. The first one to solve it gets a beer :)

Thx for the help so far

Joeri

kursad_pileksuz
03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Well if size of things change that means that you are on good track. Basically after you play with grid size you need to play view "dolly" and zoom (right, left mouse buttons) to get to proper distance to your object. I generally keep my dolly distance between -2 -10.

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.