PDA

View Full Version : Locking background image in Mudbox

paulrus
03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm sure this must be an FAQ, but the new "improved" Autodesk site doesn't let you actually do an advanced search on the Mudbox forums - they're not even listed as an option.

How do you lock a reference image (rotoscope) to the camera in MB?

Thanks!

Paul

OdhinnKohout
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
The Upper right of the UI has an "object list" drop down menu.
All your cameras are listed there: Perspective, Top, Side, and Front.
If you click on any of these cameras you will get an image plane option which will give you options in the "properties" menu below your layers and object list.
Here you can adjust the depth so the background image is either in front or behind your poly model. You can adjust the opacity and of course resize and roate the image as well.
If you right-click any of the cameras in the object list you can also look through this specific camera as in Maya. Unlike Maya you can still rotate the camera in a 3d perspective view even if you are working in say the front camera plane.
There is also a reset button if you want to go back to the flat 2d perspective.
Hope this answers your question.

paulrus
03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Not exactly.

The only way I've found to make it work the way I want is to use CTRL-ALT for moving the camera. That locks the object and background image together while zooming or panning.

I'd prefer it if I could just lock the two together and not have to use CTRL-ALT, but I don't see any way around it.

Thanks!

Paul

OdhinnKohout
03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry Paul,
I understand what you mean now. Stumped on this one bro.
If you figure something out please post the fix here.

exavi
03-30-2008, 02:09 PM
why don't you just lock the camera?

I use to lock zoom, pan and rotate and is all done...

paulrus
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't think you understand what we're talking about. In XSI it's called "Rotoscope". The background image is permanently locked to the camera so as you zoom in on the geometry, the image zooms to match.

The only way to do this in MB is to do a CTRL-ALT camera move. But that's not exactly the same and is a bit of a PITA.

fx81
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
How do you lock a reference image (rotoscope) to the camera in MB?

by default teh image plane is locked to the position of the camera, thats why image is always in the same place in the screen no matter where you move your camera.

so what you really want, i think is a image thats NOT locked to the camera, this way the image is like another object in teh 3d space. for that you can import a plane, assign a new material to it and put that image as a texture.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.