PDA

View Full Version : Playblast wont work on dynamics

Halogen
03-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Hey all,

My current setup is multiple spheres surrounding a bigger sphere, with a newton field in the center of this bigger sphere, kinda like an atom look. The smaller spheres have active rigid bodies on them and the larger one has nothing, so the particles pull to the center through the larger sphere, so it looks like the smaller spheres are entering the sphere. It all works correctly when i play it in the timeline in the viewport, but when i try and playblast the file, the spheres dont pull to the centre, they just sit there and the dynamics dont work...

The thing that is annoying me is they playblast before with no problems, but aren't working anymore. I reset the playblast settings but still does not work. I transferred a similar file to my mates PC yesterday and the file that didn't work on my macbook seemed to playblast correctly on his PC...

Is there something wrong with my version of maya (im using 8.5)? I dont understand how it can work 1 minute then not work, but work on a different platform... please help i need to playblast this animation out asap for a client preview!

sachinjoshi
03-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Try caching the particles. Hope it works.

Halogen
03-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that. Tried that and it didnt seem to work, although for some reason, when i selected realtime playback in the menus at the top, and then playblasted while it was playing back in the viewport, it seemed to playblast properly? Sounds like quite a silly thing to me, but for some reason thats the only way i could get it to work properly... At least i managed to get the draft to the client, even though it was so frustrating. Thanks for your help

DrYo
03-18-2008, 10:01 PM
If I understand you correctly, there are no particles in the scene, so creating a particle disk cache doesn't do anything.

With Rigid Bodies, you need to bake the dynamics using Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation.

Halogen
03-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey DrYo, yes you are right there are no particles in the scene. But for some reason when i actually tried to bake the dynamics using that method, it would bake them but not playback in the viewport, so when it was baking it would bake the dynamic objects in 1 place only. It was really strange, because when playblasting or baking, no dynamic movements took place, only when playing realtime in the viewport. Is this something wrong with maya on a macbook? Or just something strange with my file? Either way i passed the file off to my friend to finish it off on his PC, which seems to be working correctly compared to my macbook :S Strange indeed!

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2008, 07:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.