PDA

View Full Version : Shake or Nuke?

cgbub
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi people,

I'm planning to learn a new compositing software now that I'm quite comfortable with After Effects. Should my next software be Shake of Nuke?

I have a PC.... and I have people telling me that Nuke is very powerful and is very similar to Shake... I'm not sure which to learn because I know this one company that I'd eventually want to work for uses Shake... but I'm on a PC... and i heard that Nuke is more powerful... should I learn Shake because that company uses Shake? or should I opt for Nuke knowing that the industry will eventually grow into Nuke???

Please advice.

thanks

ediris
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
IMO Shake is very capable to get the job done.And i wish i could use it more regurarly get the 30 day trial and check it out for ur self. Nuke is much more advanced and it is pretty hard to get to understand you will not need to use the power of Nuke . You will be surprised how good the tracker works in Shake.Better than the tracker in After Effects.I know there is a lot of talking about the future of Shake. Get the 30 day trual version.
Edgard

SebKaine
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
hi .

Nuke has more options than shake : 3d camap , st mapping , Strong 32 bits support , Multichannel , SHORTCUTS and TABS function to find a node ... I like this soft , but i find the logic behind it , not as clean as the Shake Logic ...

So i use shake 2.5 , and i'm loving it ! all the basics in a clean interface . A very clean Mathematical Logic ! It compute very fast , and you can make script and macro easily !

i give you a stupid example , it illustrates why i stay with shake ... In nuke when you use the color correct node, and you apply a contrast , it does a Contrast operation as you expect, and a BRIGHTNESS operation ! you ask for contrast and it give you contrast + brightness, this is exactly what i really don't like ! when the soft do things you don't ask ! shake color correct is not excellent but it do what you ask !

but in the futur i think , that nuke is going to be the major apps for movie compositing ! multichannel with engine like renderman or mental ray and secondary display is just excellent !

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.