PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe of Mind, Samara Barks (3D)

Samara
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/290897/290897_1205773711_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/290897/290897_1205773711_large.jpg)

Title: Absinthe of Mind
Name: Samara Barks
Software: 3ds max, Maya, Photoshop, VRay

This piece was to showcase my modeling and texturing. It was based on the use of Absinthe by some of history's most noted artist's. I modeled the skull chalice base in Maya, i finished the rest of the scene in 3DS Max, the apple and the glass. I took pictures of rotten apples to use for painting my textures in Photoshop. All my textures were painted in Photoshop. The final render was done using V-Ray.

I'd like my lighting to be critiqued since that is my weak spot. Any tips or suggestions on the modeling and texturing is always welcomed. Thanks

FrizzleFry0
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd say overall you did a pretty good job with the scene. Even the lighting looks prett solid. If I had to try and find something to critique I'd say it would be the overall angle and placement of the objects. Having the camera very level and leaving the objects placed evenly on both sides of the frame is sort of boring. It might be cool to try dropping the camera lower and staggering the objects at an angle from left to right, going farther back in the scene, so you could utilize depth of field. At that point you could even use a much more contrasting lighting to create a more dramatic mood for the shot, perhaps using colored lights rather than just a white light.

The materials, models and textures all look very good. The rotten part of the apple could perhaps use just a tiny bit more browns to exaggerate it, and maybe blur that reflection line on the top.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

apollo911
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I like the concept, and textures look good! The bugs are the weakpoint for me. They look lifeless. Maybe an SSS material might help?

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.