PDA

View Full Version : Nodes or Expression?

Eeria
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm doing some simple math between objects but there could be many instances of it in the rig. Which is better for performance?

-ee

andylt1
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
well i suppose for convenience for you it would be easier to use an expression if there a lot of objects. but nodes would evaluate quicker. althouhg it dosnt take long to hook node connections up really. if you know a bit of mel you could script the node setup and get the best of both worlds

Eeria
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll definitely be using scripts to setup the connections either way.
Thanks for the info!

-ee

Firas
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
my -amazing- friend Morteza did a nice math nodes for maya, which complete the basic build in nodes.

you can download it from his webpage (http://www.cgdna.com) or highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com)

Eeria
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Firas,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!

-ee

twedzel
03-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Nodes. Even simple expressions can bog a scene down when creating a lot of multiple instances. As it was told to me, expressions check to run every frame where as nodes only evaluates when they are called upon. Not a big deal with only a few instances, but a few hundred can just grind the process down to a halt. I've seen this first hand with a bug rig of mine. We needed to have hundreds of them in a scene. The first iteration used simple visibility expression, and the animators complained bitterly of the slowness of the scene. Then same rig with nodes instead of a visibility expression and the difference was night and day.

Stankluv
03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
question:

is there anything that can be done in expressions that I can't do in nodes?

isn't there some for loop functionality available in expressions that I don't see available in nodes?

thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.