PDA

View Full Version : light falls through wall

Garma
05-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi guys, take a look at the attached image and I guess you see what my problem is. I've been searching for this quite a while, didn't find answers.

The problem is that the moonlight goes through the bottle and the glass and falls on the table like there ain't no wall at all. Rendering without raytracing enabled makes the light also fall on the table.

I'm sure the solution is pretty easy since i'm not a veteran yet.

thanks

wgreenlee1
05-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Did you try it with the Depth Map Shadows...?

You didnt say...

You didnt say which renderer you are useing....

Garma
05-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi, thanks for your reaction, I tried with depth maps, and there were no problems, everything seemed normal.

Which renderer... okay, let's just say I choose render -> render current frame, set my wishes under render globals and :beer: there we go. With IPR rendering the light also falls through the wall like below

wgreenlee1
05-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I dunno....It just looks like you havnt enabled raytracing....
I cant really say without the scene file....

I'm new to all of Maya also..
Sometimes if you dont enable everything then things like this happens...
If I remember right....there are several settings to ensure shadowing and for Maya to render properly it has to be told that these surfaces are solid....

What lights you use make a differance...what renderer you are useing makes a differance...

IPR is like Viper for Lightwave it only renders the objects so you can adjust textureing and other things where you dont need a full quality render....

If I were you I would get the manual out and do a rundown of your scene and try to trouble shoot it....

There is a simple reason why this is happening but the list of things to check are really beyond me...checking without my little hands on the controls makes it hard to say for sure...

Maybe someone else will chime in on this...

Antilles
05-08-2003, 04:26 AM
is it possible that the wall is only facing inward towards the room and not outwards towards the moonlight? Im not entirely sure that maya handles backwards facing polygons with shadows like that. But thats only if the wall is only a plane or something, if its a box with a full other side, disregard this.

EDIT: upon examining your geometry, it looks like its probably a solid wall, so i dont really know what the problem is.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.