PDA

View Full Version : Maya Ocean Presets - Repetition/Pattern problem

mindsample
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi,

i am using modified water-presets from the Visor to generate an Ocean. My Camera is more or less looking straight down from quite high up so I am dealing with a lot of repetitions and patterns in the look of the ocean.

I can not really figure out to break up the density and look of the waves in a nice way, I tried all the usual suspects such as plugging textures into attributes but to no avail.

Has anybody got some tricks up their sleeves to randomize the look of the waves/water a bit?

Thanks!

Undseth
03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
How about default:

and

frequencies = 20
max wave length = 100
wave height graph = 4 points; left-most 0.02 + about middle 0.05 + about middle 0.05 + right-most 0.02 (point is to have low values at both sides).

The preview plane gives some nice instant feedback on the settings in the overview.

Aikiman
03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Try using a layered shader and combine two ocean textures together. MAke one ocean the large waves and the other one for small, then mix and match the frequencies adding noise texture etc. The catch is that you can only pipe in one displacement node into the shading group so you have to use the blendColors node to do that. This was not my idea and for the time I cant goggle the site where I saw that info.

hkspowers
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
The guy that I have seen this method for is Peter Shipkov, here is the link for his tutorial.

http://petershipkov.com/tutorials/oceanSurface/oceanSurface.htm

Aikiman
03-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Thats the one :)

mindsample
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
thanks guys, the layered method sounds great, will have a go at it right now.

Much appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.