PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

Pages : [1] 2

Mibus
03-17-2008, 05:04 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: It's based on a book... do I have to read the book?

A: Nope. You don't need to do anything book-related, it's just there to help set the theme of what we're talking about. As long as you're depicting alien-human interaction, you're set!

Q: Do I need a paid CGSociety membership?

A: Not at all! Our CGChallenges are open to all CGTalkers. If you don't already have a free account, get one here (http://www.cgsociety.org/join/).
Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the video category. See also the Looking For Group (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=236&t=609378) thread.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print - suddenly detailed textures and meshes are important in the creation of your art! We also like encouraging people to submit their art for Ballistic Publishing books, like EXPOSÉ.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: That's cool, just make it big enough to fill a full page in an A4-sized book. Or make it bigger, even!

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

Seven
03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I have been thinking about making a film trailer using the Unreal 3 engine / editor. In the video explanation on the challenge website a trailer is the recommended way to proceed. I have had a film idea in my head for a long time now and it seems to fit this competition very well.

I am also in need of a portfolio : ) as I work in games combining the 2 seemed like a good idea, id get to make my movie trailer and all the assets can go into my portfolio. Would a trailer made in the Unreal 3 engine be allowed? Obviously I would save it off as a QuickTime / WMP etc format for submission.

One other thing, my movie trailer is kinda based off the Doom (from id) universe. Would that be a problem for this competition as long as I state that?

Cheers

Neox
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

I didn't see a rule talking about using premade selfmade models, so premade models can be used or do they have to be revised?

arturro
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for great anothe adventue you gave us :)

you wrote in deliverables for video:
• 30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video.

It's writtn streight forward, but please let me ensure...

1. if I decide to do only a 30sec trailer, can it be both, entry for judging and full length video?, or this should be noticeable longer

2. I understand that making off can be done by composing stills from WIP together with some animations... but must it be delivered together with the final entries? or only winners should deliver that...

3. and finally where I choose that my video entry is individual?

thanks again

Neubius
03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
excuse me for being stupid, but am i right in thinking it doesn't have to have a direct link to one of the books, it can just be playing with the theme ?

thanks,
A

adib
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi,and thanks for another GREAT CHALLENGE!

Question: Can we use 2D animation on 3D environment?For example I want to make all the props,vehicles,spaceships,location on 3D and mattepainting and the characters to be 2D.
It is posible?

azazel
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
excuse me for being stupid, but am i right in thinking it doesn't have to have a direct link to one of the books, it can just be playing with the theme ?

thanks,
A

Just to make sure, i have to ask:

The entry HAS to be somehow grounded in the Uplift world? Or can i do something in line with the theme, but not related to the Uplift world ?

Gotta read some Uplift anyway ;)

bigmikey
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Just to make sure, i have to ask:

The entry HAS to be somehow grounded in the Uplift world? Or can i do something in line with the theme, but not related to the Uplift world ?

Gotta read some Uplift anyway ;)

this is from the instruction page:

"Your Mission
http://features.cgsociety.org/images/spacer.gif
In this challenge your task is to show the interaction of aliens and humans. You must depict the interaction of humans, and at least one other species.

You can base your aliens on the species described in David Brin’s classic Uplift series or you can dream up your own.

You can use any setting you like - planet bound, interior, exterior, or in a space ship. However the setting is secondary to the depiction of human - alien interaction."

Neubius
03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
ah. thank you : )

dam my dyslexia! !

Mucus
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I got a question about the Human-Alien interaction...Should we show a human and an alien in the same scene, or an Alien using human's object or living in a human environment could be acceptable?

azazel
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Bigmikey, thanks, seems i missed that 'dreaming up your own' part ;).

Mibus
03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Would a trailer made in the Unreal 3 engine be allowed?

Yes.

One other thing, my movie trailer is kinda based off the Doom (from id) universe. Would that be a problem for this competition as long as I state that?

It's a potential liability... but I don't see any reason you can't have a "Doom-like" universe, and not be "Doom".

I didn't see a rule talking about using premade selfmade models, so premade models can be used or do they have to be revised?

They can be used, but the final entry must be primarily your own work, and no significant part of it should be recognisably based on any earlier work.

1. if I decide to do only a 30sec trailer, can it be both, entry for judging and full length video?, or this should be noticeable longer

If you only want to do a short one, that's OK.

2. I understand that making off can be done by composing stills from WIP together with some animations... but must it be delivered together with the final entries? or only winners should deliver that...

Yes, stills & animations are fine - it's best if you slip it into the video you upload as your final piece. It's not mandatory, but increases your chances of winning in the open categories.

3. and finally where I choose that my video entry is individual?

All entries are individual unless you invite other team members.

Question: Can we use 2D animation on 3D environment?

Yep!

or an Alien using human's object or living in a human environment could be acceptable?

That sounds reasonable to me :)

arturro
03-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Yes, stills & animations are fine - it's best if you slip it into the video you upload as your final piece. It's not mandatory, but increases your chances of winning in the open categories.

thanks for your answer, I only have a short question to this...

Do you mean slipping it at the end of the final video (the longer one), or to this 30sek judged one, which obviously would make it longer...

question perhaps not too clever, but just want to be sure that it can be added to the 30sec trailer, or if not, that it will be noticed at the end of the final longer video, and taken under consideration with those open categories

Mibus
03-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Do you mean slipping it at the end of the final video (the longer one), or to this 30sek judged one, which obviously would make it longer...

The best thing is to have all three concatenated into a single FLV file when you upload it. That way, judges have an easier time finding your video(s) with all the content. (We always mark one as "primary").

JBSDesigns
03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
I have a question about the visual effects entry. So the scene im doing uses Cloth (syflex) and Hair (Shave and a Haircut) and its in the animation category. Can it also be considered for the visual effects section. In other words will you allow cloth and hair to be used as visual effects to be judged?

Seven
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks Mibus!

SFedor
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
"12. Images must conform to nominal decency guidelines. Any image deemed to contain...sexual...material in an inappropriate manner may be disqualified and removed."

Just so I understand what is considered inappropriate, is alien nudity allowed?

Thanks

TwinSnakes
03-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Anybody have any problems with the CgTalk license?

Imagus
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
If you create a 3D still scene, but then decide to animate it, can the original still and the animated version be entered separately in the video and image categories, or should there be different subject matter for each?

Realistically, it makes more sense to concentrate on one or the other but if, for example, a solid image entry is done inside of two months, one option to try for a video entry would be to use the existing assets from that still.

Russell-Nash
03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I just got my licence for XSI. But it still says: (Ess 32. Expires in 30 days) in the top bar. Did I do something wrong?

Ah, I found the answer myself.

Stephen Blair posted this in the Softimage Community:

There is a known problem with the XSI title bar...when you have a Trial license installed, then the title bar always shows "Expires in XX days", even if you also have another, longer-term license installed and you are running the other license.

To see what license you are using
- Start the License Manager
- click Server > Query License Server and then click Run Query
- Look at the "used" column

The problem goes away when the Trial license expires.

The Trial and the CG Talk license are both for Essentials, so if you have both installed, it should not be a problem. After the Trial expires you will still have the CG Talk license.

Argopo
03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Qucik clarification regaring print resolution:

A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or 3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these specified.

In essense, we are to render out (if using a 3d program) at 11072x15152 @ 72ppi. Then resize image in PS to 2657x3636 @ 300ppi.

Do you want final image to be converted to CMYK or remain as RGB?

TwinSnakes
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Russel, can you confirm that you can render at the Challenege resolution (I think it's 2657 x 3636)?

Thanks.

-TS-

I just got my licence for XSI. But it still says: (Ess 32. Expires in 30 days) in the top bar. Did I do something wrong?

Ah, I found the answer myself.

Stephen Blair posted this in the Softimage Community:

There is a known problem with the XSI title bar...when you have a Trial license installed, then the title bar always shows "Expires in XX days", even if you also have another, longer-term license installed and you are running the other license.

To see what license you are using
- Start the License Manager
- click Server > Query License Server and then click Run Query
- Look at the "used" column

The problem goes away when the Trial license expires.

The Trial and the CG Talk license are both for Essentials, so if you have both installed, it should not be a problem. After the Trial expires you will still have the CG Talk license.

lorland
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM
the deadline about the compete is ???

ScottC
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi, I just noticed that the deadline for the image entry is actually quite a bit earlier than what's advertised on the contest banner. Is there any chance of getting the image deadline to be the same as the video deadline?

I realize that reading the books is not *required* for the challenge...and yet the contest is named after them and the author is a judge, so it seems like theres a significant *encouragement* there to draw from this material...and I'd like to. Work and Life being what they are, it might take me a couple weeks just to get through the first few books, before I'm intimately familiar enough with the material to make more deliberate sketch decisions. I mean, I know I'd still be at a disadvantage vs those people who aren't making any effort to work within the promoted material, but I'm cool with that.

I don't necessarily expect sympathy for any "more time" requests, even though the contest seems to promote reference material it might take some time to process. But if you'd like anything, you have to at least ask, so Im just getting that out of the way ;).

L33tace
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I've a idea in mind for this challenge but I may not participate because I may not have enough experience to pull this off but my questions are:

I just so happened to download the 30 day demo of XSI the day before the challenge was announced - do I have to download and install the XSI that is associated with this challenge or just acquire the new license.

Second - Is there an upgrade from the non-commercial to the commercial XSI?

thanks.

AlexeyKlimenko
03-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi everybody, who is participating in this competition!

Q: Can I use images a main heroes, drawings of the technician from computer games, as sketchs for my 3D models?

Anubis3D
03-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Sorry if it's written somewhere and I misread it, but here it goes:

I'm participating in the image category. If I make a turntable of one of my models to try the modeling open category, where should I upload it? In my own thread, in a video thread, using the CGUploader?

Thanks in advance

TwinSnakes
03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Just acquire a new license.

I've a idea in mind for this challenge but I may not participate because I may not have enough experience to pull this off but my questions are:

I just so happened to download the 30 day demo of XSI the day before the challenge was announced - do I have to download and install the XSI that is associated with this challenge or just acquire the new license.

Second - Is there an upgrade from the non-commercial to the commercial XSI?

thanks.

Spin99
03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Just wanted to know if it's ok to take Jim Burn's illustrations and take on them as
concept art to produce a 3D image?

In other words do we have to be totally original from existing book covers or
can we do a 3D interpretation of them?
The reason why I'm not trying to go totally original is that I haven't read the books
and small excerpts don't seem to help that much in creating a detailed "picture" of
Brin's universe.

lucar
03-21-2008, 02:12 PM
hi,
how I can upload new images in my wip?
thanks..

luca

Argopo
03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
hi,
how I can upload new images in my wip?
thanks..

luca

Go to: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/submit_entry.php

Enter your CGS name and password. This will take you to an upload page where you browse your hard drive for the pic and enter info about your image.

Russell-Nash
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Russel, can you confirm that you can render at the Challenege resolution (I think it's 2657 x 3636)?

Thanks.

-TS-

Yes, rendering at 3636 x 2728 works fine here.

HornlessUnicorn
03-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Just to be sure - I can use either portrait or landscape orientation, right?

I would like to use landscape, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Dimitri.

slay3r04
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello , can you please tell me how to close my individual entry ? We want to form a team and we thought that to do that each one of us must submit a form from the Enter the challenge section. we did that , my team-mate sent me and invitation to join his team and if i wand to accept it says that i am already in a group , what should i do ?

Alonzo
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM
A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

only one question to this (above) ... where can I post the credit?

thx. allan

amz23
03-22-2008, 08:22 PM

In essense, we are to render out (if using a 3d program) at 11072x15152 @ 72ppi. Then resize image in PS to 2657x3636 @ 300ppi.

Nope that doesn't make sense, the resolution @72ppi would be lower than @300ppi!

Ballistic books are around 22x30cm / 8.66x12.12" which translates roughly to those 2657x3636px at 300ppi... Render higher if you can (for postprocessing/cropping/etc) but 11072x15152 would be insane for most computers :P

Regarding CMYK conversion, this is taken from every Ballistic call for entries :

"3. Do not convert your image to CMYK and do not over-sharpen it for print. We will be applying CMYK conversions and other filters that are optimal for the print process we have chosen. It is probable that we will be employing the most recent direct to plate and stochastic screen processes for printing. You should concentrate on providing images that look excellent on screen and let us perform the optimal preparation for print."

amz23
03-22-2008, 08:29 PM

I would like to use landscape, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Dimitri.

Yeah! Just as a sidenote, Ballistic doesn't print images sideways (if you're making a landscape orientation) except for: portrait images when they decide it's great enough to use two pages; and for special edition prints :rolleyes:

ScottC
03-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Conceptual question. I normally wouldnt split hairs like this, but it's especially pertinent if you're trying to adapt the "Uplift" material.

Is "alien" defined as non-human life, or "extra-terrestrial" life? If you consider the source material you're promoting, you can see the distinction here, and I dont want to be disqualified on a technicality.

Specifically, do neo-dolphins, neo-chimps, neo dogs, neo-gorillas, etc, count as "aliens"?

Pyke
03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
In terms of music, what is allowed? Do you have to have an original piece? Or can you use a previous piece of music, so long as you credit the composer? And ask permission of course.. ;)

LadyMedusa
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
How important is it to have a good story for your picture?
How great should it be?

DonRallo
03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
One question to everybody, who uses XSI too.

In the titleline of my XSI it says that i can use this version only for 26 days more, although i should use the program till the 12th may.
If anybody has the same problem please post this, because i just want to know weather i'am the only one.

Russell-Nash
03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
One question to everybody, who uses XSI too.

In the titleline of my XSI it says that i can use this version only for 26 days more, although i should use the program till the 12th may.
If anybody has the same problem please post this, because i just want to know weather i'am the only one.

It's the same here. I have posted an answer to this question on page 2 of this thread. Hope this helps.

liviuberechet
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
I've been thinking about making a movie trailer. I will be using some filmed scenes, and I'm not shore if i shoud enter the challange as a indivual or as a team.

Me and my girlfriend own a cg company, but I've been a freelancer for about 4 years. There are more people involved in the company, most of them beginners (about 6 months of experience), so for this project I will be doing all the Concept, Directing, Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, Animation, Rendering, Compositing... What I won't be doing is the body panting of some of the characters (not fully sure that i will be using body painting or other form of art), I will have some help from my girlfriend with the concept and the making of the clothes. And a lot of friends acting in front of the camera.

My questions:

1. All form of art that will be done on the computer (CG) will be done by me. But there are other forms of art made by some friends (ex: clothes, body painting, real acting) of course directed by me.
- Am I still entering the challange as an Individual?

2. The company is own and run by me and my friend.
- Am I allowed to put my company logo at the end of the clip.

3. The story concept is my own. I did it before I ever read anyting about the "Uplift Universe". My story has something about the humans going on an alien planet and starting a life there, evolving along side with the alien species; I think that in the books there is also something about some human descovering another planet. And I event think that in the books it says something about a war (I don't know because I only read some paragraphs), and my story is also about a war. But the story is basically different.
- Can I use this clip on my Company's Show Reel?
- Cand I use it to find a sponsor for creating a real movie after it? (Just asking, I'm not thinking about actual doing it)

PS: sorry for my "not so good" english :)

DonRallo
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
thanks Russel-Nash...

to liviuberechet, i would enter the challenge as individual because if you don't have real artist in a team they will stop the process of work needless.

(bad english...or not?)

Markphisto
03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
It's possible to link the entry in another blog/forum?

Talking in other blog/forum for technical question (with some image of the WIP) it's possible?

liviuberechet
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
thanks Russel-Nash...

to liviuberechet, i would enter the challenge as individual because if you don't have real artist in a team they will stop the process of work needless.

(bad english...or not?)

I want to enter the challenge as individual.

No body else will work on this except me... just in the body painting process (becasuse I can hold a mouse but not a paint brush) and the making of the clothes (I'm a guy... and I'm not gay) I will have some help from one or two friends. But those two things are considered art.. so is this project still considered my artwork ?? :)

I just want to be fairplay.

donmatrix
03-24-2008, 07:15 AM
i have entered a image but as soon as i post it it is not visible on the in the forum

madcan
03-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I have invited a member to my team but since his email address was old, he can't get the mail that's sent to him. And I can't send him another invite either. What should we do? Where can he confirm the invite other than the email?

livake
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
At the video team...Every member team must be a member CGtalk?

donmatrix
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
how long will it take for the post along with the image to appear on the forum of 'uplift' challenge

Rhs_CG
03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Is it permissible to include a recognizable brand in the image (such as a logo, or a product) or would that infringe on intellectual property?

ICHOMA
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi friends of SOFT IMAGE, I am trying to download the software but is for Windos, I am Macintosh user, do you have a version for Mac, and where do I go to download it?

Rhs_CG
03-24-2008, 08:35 PM
There is no version of XSI for Mac OS X. Sorry!

No hay una version de XSI para el Macintosh. Lo siento!

Anubis3D
03-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Another question regarding XSI: I downloaded it from the link provided here, installed, everything went fine. But when I try to run the software it closes as soon as the splash image disappears. I don't think it's a limitation of my machine, as I already had a trial version of it installed sometime ago. I tried uninstalling and installing again, but the problem remained. Does anybody knows what may be happening?

Mibus
03-25-2008, 03:35 AM
In other words will you allow cloth and hair to be used as visual effects to be judged?

No.

Just so I understand what is considered inappropriate, is alien nudity allowed?

It really depends on what people are likely to find offensive... nobody will find a totally naked gelatinous blob to be offensive, but a nipple-showing vulcan may be. Just use your best judgement, and be tasteful :)

If you create a 3D still scene, but then decide to animate it, can the original still and the animated version be entered separately in the video and image categories, or should there be different subject matter for each?

It's a great idea to highlight aspects of your technique for open categories, but they'll probably just be considered a single distinct entry when we tally up the votes (unless they are noticably different in some way). Note that you can now submit video to your image entry with the CGUploader!

DPI/ppi is really meaningless when you're not looking at physical size. Feel free to render at 2657x3636 (or similar).

RGB. We have a trained team of uber-intelligent monkeys that do the CMYK conversions when images are going to print, and they know the all of the ins-and-outs and intimate details of the process.

Hi, I just noticed that the deadline for the image entry is actually quite a bit earlier than what's advertised on the contest banner. Is there any chance of getting the image deadline to be the same as the video deadline?

Not for this challenge.

I'm participating in the image category. If I make a turntable of one of my models to try the modeling open category, where should I upload it? In my own thread, in a video thread, using the CGUploader?

You can do video uploads in your Image-category thread, via the CGChallenge Uploader.

Just wanted to know if it's ok to take Jim Burn's illustrations and take on them as
concept art to produce a 3D image?

In other words do we have to be totally original from existing book covers or
can we do a 3D interpretation of them?

You're best off doing as much as you can yourself. Use the images provided for inspiration, not as a direct basis for your own image.

Yes!

Hello , can you please tell me how to close my individual entry ? We want to form a team and we thought that to do that each one of us must submit a form from the Enter the challenge section. we did that , my team-mate sent me and invitation to join his team and if i wand to accept it says that i am already in a group , what should i do ?

I've just changed some stuff - try again, and email me directly if it doesn't work (robert@ballisticmedia.net).

only one question to this (above) ... where can I post the credit?

In the notes/description of your submission, or (if it's a video) as part of the credits.

Specifically, do neo-dolphins, neo-chimps, neo dogs, neo-gorillas, etc, count as "aliens"?

Let's just say "yes" to keep it simple :).

In terms of music, what is allowed? Do you have to have an original piece? Or can you use a previous piece of music, so long as you credit the composer? And ask permission of course.. ;)

At the very least, you need to have permission to use the piece, and credit it.

How important is it to have a good story for your picture?

It's probably more important to have the story evident just by looking at the picture, rather than writing a novelisation of your own. :)

liviuberechet: 1: Probably a team. If you're the only CGTalker in the group, make very certain to note in your posts that other people worked on it (and what they did), so we can make the decision at the end. 2: yes, 3: yes and yes, but don't forget to credit any inspirational material used.

It's possible to link the entry in another blog/forum?

Talking in other blog/forum for technical question (with some image of the WIP) it's possible?

Absolutely.

i have entered a image but as soon as i post it it is not visible on the in the forum

New members posts wait for validation, it's possible that this happened to you.

I have invited a member to my team but since his email address was old, he can't get the mail that's sent to him. And I can't send him another invite either. What should we do? Where can he confirm the invite other than the email?

He can't. Email me his username (to robert@ballisticmedia.net) and I'll remove the existing invite. Make sure he's using the right email address and invite him again.

At the video team...Every member team must be a member CGtalk?

It certainly makes things easier if everyone is a Talker, yes :). You can just make certain to credit them in the video's credits if they're not doing CG stuff.

Is it permissible to include a recognizable brand in the image (such as a logo, or a product) or would that infringe on intellectual property?

You'd have to be very careful. Best to stay away from 'obvious' things if at all possible.

turbinea
03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I´ve read isntructions for video entries and one thing is not clear to me. I understood that i have to create short movie, trailer and making of video. Or is it possible to create just trailer as a ´main piece´? (and to add making of video at the end)

other question: is supposed to be sound guy/musician part of the team or is just name in the credits since he is not graphic artist?

and last one: is it possible to use alien language (some strange sounds) and put subtitles as a explanation/translation?

ScottC
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Let's just say "yes" to keep it simple :).

Actually, on further investigation, on the instructions page it says we must depict the interaction between humans and one other "species", so under this definition, neos clearly qualify without needing to make overly complex "exceptions".

XSIEN
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone.
I'm sorry but I need to ask a simple question.
My Posting rules indicate that I may not post attachments.
How can I attach/upload an image using CGtalk attachment module?
I have not seen the option anywhere..
Thanks for reading/help.
Sorry if this matter had been discussed before.

Mibus
03-26-2008, 03:46 AM
My Posting rules indicate that I may not post attachments.
How can I attach/upload an image using CGtalk attachment module?

You don't, you use the "Submit Entries (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/submit_entry.php)" page.

donmatrix
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Iam from India can I take part in this competion

donmatrix
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
I am from India can I take part in this competiton

liviuberechet
03-26-2008, 06:29 AM

No... sorry.
No india-people allowed =))

Cyberone
03-26-2008, 06:43 AM

i do believe you can...

donmatrix
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
cyberon are you sure that i can participate

chandro
03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
just want to make sure, is it alright to put the 3d alien in real picture (landscape photos as background} and just composite it?

Spin99
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I am from India can I take part in this competitonNope I'm sure you can't. Sorry.
But if I give you my P.O. Box will you post me some frozen samoosas?
I can put in a word for you then.

Maybe they'll make an exception?

adib
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi there,

another question: My movie will be 2 minutes.I see in the instructions that is recomanded in first place to make a trailer at 30 secunds.But I want to show all my movie in the first place.It is possible?

Best to all!

LightSovereign
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
cyberon are you sure that i can participate

Of course you can :) check the nationalities of the contestants, they are from all over..

yea i am partial to samoosas aswell :P hahaha

blindsyte
03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Is there a limit to the number of tris or polycount or scale of the scene (as long as the final image fits the composition), etc...?

vmulligan
03-27-2008, 02:36 AM

No... You should aim to render your image at 2657x3636 or thereabouts. You can set the print DPI after the fact in Photoshop, WITHOUT resampling the image; this will only affect the size of the image on the page if it is printed. Don't waste time rendering at ridiculous resolutions if you're just going to throw resolution away by scaling down.

If you're confused about the difference between resolution (the size of an image in pixels) and DPI (the number of pixels per inch when the image is printed), see this link (http://www.photoshopninja.com/2005/07/image-resolution-and-dpi-explained/).

ChojinDSL
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Are we allowed to donate or sell any prizes we win?

E.g., If someone already has a Softimage License, could they donate it to a school or sell it at a discount price?

XSIEN
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

I'm very Sorry almost to a degree I feel stupid.
I've already posted my question regards this matter but I only got a link as a reply.
Where can I find the Challenge site facility for uploading the WIP images??
thanks for reading and sorry about re-asking the question..

Best,

Mibus
03-28-2008, 05:14 AM
Or is it possible to create just trailer as a ´main piece´? (and to add making of video at the end)

Yes, append the making-of to the end. Keeping it all in one video makes it far easier on the judges.

other question: is supposed to be sound guy/musician part of the team or is just name in the credits since he is not graphic artist?

Credits is fine.

and last one: is it possible to use alien language (some strange sounds) and put subtitles as a explanation/translation?

Yes

Iam from India can I take part in this competion

Yes

just want to make sure, is it alright to put the 3d alien in real picture (landscape photos as background} and just composite it?

Yes, that is possible.

another question: My movie will be 2 minutes.I see in the instructions that is recomanded in first place to make a trailer at 30 secunds.But I want to show all my movie in the first place.It is possible?

Possible - the 30s is a recommendation to improve your chances with the judges. Unless you're making an 'Uplift movie' trailer in the first place, it's not really applicable.

Is there a limit to the number of tris or polycount or scale of the scene (as long as the final image fits the composition), etc...?

Not on our end, but your PC may disagree ;)

Are we allowed to donate or sell any prizes we win?

If you place and outright win a prize, then yes.

E.g., If someone already has a Softimage License, could they donate it to a school or sell it at a discount price?

You'd have to check with Softimage if you can resell their non-commercial licenses (which all contestants who finish will get), but I don't see why you couldn't sell a full copy if you won it.

XSIEN: You upload them through the Submit Entry (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/submit_entry.php) page.

adib
03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Anothe question:

When we must submited the Making of video file?In the competition period or after the competition is finished?
Thanks!

Alonzo
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Mibus for the replay :thumbsup:

only one depending on the other... is a text, also seen as inspiration?

caricc
03-28-2008, 03:50 PM

I've already posted my question regards this matter but I only got a link as a reply.
Where can I find the Challenge site facility for uploading the WIP images??
thanks for reading and sorry about re-asking the question..

Check the email you received when you signed up for the challenge, if you still have it. This is where my link is.

caricc
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
For the XSI software is there a Linux version? I read that there was no Mac version, but how about Linux?

Thanks.

killer-instinct93
03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Just a couple of questions,

1) To keep the version of XSI we receive for entering, we have to finish our entry. Does that mean that we must use XSI to create our entry in order to keep it? Also, if we are entered into both Illustration and Video sections, does that mean we have to finish both to keep the copy, or just one?

2) I am entered into the video section at the moment. I am waiting to hear back from a band about permission to use their music in the video. If I do not get permission, and want to instead sumbit a single illustration, do I have to start posting progress in both sections now? Or just when I know which is going to final?

3) Illustrations can be any ratio you want, but video absolutely has to be 1.33:1?

Thank you

NGNgaipan
03-29-2008, 08:25 AM
can i ask a stupid question?where is the ftp address??how can i upload my tif document?

Spin99
03-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi again I recently got the special license XSI Essentials for the competition.
Everything seemed to be running smooth until..

I suddenly realised it's the second plugin that I'm trying to install that just crashes on startup. Just wanted to ask if this is a problem with the demo license (it mentions the number of days to expiry) or there's big architectural changes with version 6.5.

Could it be the demo license that hasn't expired yet is preventing plugins from running?

smiljan66
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Hello i have a question?
the image must be of the book?
the story can be caricaturized?
can you look at mi image ?
i just let my mind flow on the challenge
Can i continue with the modeling?
thanks very much\smiljan66

LightSovereign
03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Hello i have a question?
the image must be of the book?
can you look at mi image ?
i just let my mind flow on the challenge
thanks very much\smiljan66

Smiljan66

here is a quote from the first page here..

It's based on a book... do I have to read the book?

A: Nope. You don't need to do anything book-related, it's just there to help set the theme of what we're talking about. As long as you're depicting alien-human interaction, you're set!

bwtr
03-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry to complain about the competition.

I am 76, my native tongue is English. I am considered well read.
However I am amazed at the complexity of the entry requirements and details, some of which seem contradictory.

I am confused. I wonder at how many potential entrants feel if their native tongue is not English?
Brian

sonicedge
03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi

I wanted to know , what if someone uses a pirated software to create a image, what kind of trouble he or she can get, you see software packages are not cheep ,

There may be few good artist around but most people in my country can’t afford a licensed software packege

Dragneye
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
As I am new to posting and uplaoding images in general, nervous apprehension has set in, so I ask what may be way too obvious to some..

All my progress pics must be added to my WIP thread, thru/within the thread, right? More importantly, am I doing it right when I post additional images, when it asks for url, to get it from (in my case) Imageshack? Or am i missin' somtin?

The Q&A in the past posts regarding posting images, seems to me to be about the first, original pic.

jpiette
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Two questions:

1) I independently joined the video group section of Uplift, but then I was accepted into a group. I don't want to penalized for entering twice and I don't plan to submit anything individually. Will it hurt me that I'm signed up in the video section twice?

2) If a group wins, do all members get the prizes or is it up to the group to split them up amongst themselves?

Thanks everyone!

Mibus
03-31-2008, 02:28 AM
When we must submited the Making of video file?In the competition period or after the competition is finished?

Run it after your main feature, in the same video. That's the best thing to do.

only one depending on the other... is a text, also seen as inspiration?

Yes

For the XSI software is there a Linux version? I read that there was no Mac version, but how about Linux?

Not for free, alas. (I too run a Linux desktop). It's mentioned on Softimage's page.

To keep the version of XSI we receive for entering, we have to finish our entry. Does that mean that we must use XSI to create our entry in order to keep it?

No.

Also, if we are entered into both Illustration and Video sections, does that mean we have to finish both to keep the copy, or just one?

One.

I am entered into the video section at the moment. I am waiting to hear back from a band about permission to use their music in the video. If I do not get permission, and want to instead sumbit a single illustration, do I have to start posting progress in both sections now? Or just when I know which is going to final?

Post whatever you've got, it puts you ahead in terms of feedback when you pick one to finish.

Illustrations can be any ratio you want, but video absolutely has to be 1.33:1?

It doesn't, as of this challenge. Which page still said it did?

can i ask a stupid question?where is the ftp address??how can i upload my tif document?

FTP details will be released closer to the finishing date.

Of course.

I don't see why not...

I am amazed at the complexity of the entry requirements and details, some of which seem contradictory.

Can you please point out any that are contradictory? I'm happy to get them fixed.

I am confused. I wonder at how many potential entrants feel if their native tongue is not English?

We've made a large number of revisions for clarity with this challenge, and plan to keep revising the rules until they're as understandable as they can be. Feel free to email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) with any that you feel particularly need attention.

Non-native English speakers are always a point of consideration for us when we're drafting rules, but since we're all native speakers here it can be hard to judge.

I wanted to know , what if someone uses a pirated software to create a image, what kind of trouble he or she can get, you see software packages are not cheep ,

Blender is free, you can get a free copy of XSI by entering the challenge, and other vendors have trial or limited versions available. There really isn't much of an excuse for using pirated software in the challenge.

All my progress pics must be added to my WIP thread, thru/within the thread, right? More importantly, am I doing it right when I post additional images, when it asks for url, to get it from (in my case) Imageshack? Or am i missin' somtin?

You need to use the Submit Entries (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/submit_entry.php) page.

I independently joined the video group section of Uplift, but then I was accepted into a group. I don't want to penalized for entering twice and I don't plan to submit anything individually. Will it hurt me that I'm signed up in the video section twice?

No.

If a group wins, do all members get the prizes or is it up to the group to split them up amongst themselves?

Up to themselves to split. (The rules place the burden on the Team Leader, but in reality it's likely to be a group decision).

Dragneye
03-31-2008, 02:58 AM
THANK YOU VERY much Mibus

hmm... should i get rid of what i have posted already and redo... or just do it right from now on?

Mibus
03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
The incredibly observant Talkers among you may have noticed that we've just managed to secure three lovely Cintiq 12WX tablets, to go hand-in-hand with our new open categories - Concept Art, Digital Painting, and Sculpture.

:thumbsup:

walrus
03-31-2008, 07:51 AM
In keeping with tradition set by the last couple of Challenges, when are you planning on announcing the deadline extension? (Several of us are all still busy representing CGSociety in the Dominance War Challenge which itself just had its deadline extended. Knowing when the real deadline is would be a big help for budgeting time to complete both! :) )

Mibus
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
We're hoping not to have to, dispelling the myth that we always extend deadlines :p

killer-instinct93
03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Illustrations can be any ratio you want, but video absolutely has to be 1.33:1?It doesn't, as of this challenge. Which page still said it did?

Video material must be submitted in 4:3 aspect with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480. If you wish to use 16:9 or any other wide format then you will need to letterbox into the 4:3 format.
Maybe I just misunderstand the letterboxing part of it, but isn't this saying all video that is submitted must be 4:3?

bwtr
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
As I read the instructions, towards the end of the competition, we will be asked (by email) to submit a Print Version ?

The instructions say the minimum size and that it should be in Tiff format. My file size for that is 25.5MB---is this, seriously, what is required?

LightSovereign
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
As I read the instructions, towards the end of the competition, we will be asked (by email) to submit a Print Version ?

The instructions say the minimum size and that it should be in Tiff format. My file size for that is 25.5MB---is this, seriously, what is required?

From memory, when the ftp is made available there are more detailed instructions to follow..im pretty sure the files have to be compressed rgb tiffs. which should theoretically chop that size in half.

bwtr
04-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks Marley.

But what is an "ftp" please?

LightSovereign
04-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Gosh i am sorry, my post must have looked very alien. (fitting isn't it :P)

FTP (file transfer protocol) in short is the process of moving a file or files from one computer to another..in this case your final artwork from your computer to CGSocieties..

here is a website that explains the very basics of it all.

Basic ftp (http://www.ftpplanet.com/ftpresources/basics.htm)

There are specific programs for this, the one suggested in the linkFTP Client (http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.asp?Tutorial) has a thirty day trial, which is perfect for the competetion..of course when the time arises..

OR Internet Explorer has the function inbuilt which is as simple as drag and drop of your file..(when the process is followed correctly I.E should appear as a blank screen...from memory *X/ )

I have used this process alot myself..i think the only issue is speed of transfer, which does not bother me as i am on a 56k modem :P.

If anybody else can explain this in greater detail, by all means, but i hope what i have explained will help.

Mibus
04-01-2008, 03:18 AM
killer-instinct93: Yup we missed that bit - thanks!

bwtr
04-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks Marley.

All sounds frightfully complicated but I do have IE and I guess I will be able to work it all out at the time.
Just putting the file into a zip folder and e-mailing it? -----but thats too obvious and simple perhaps?
Funny world.

adib
04-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks Mibus!So my movie have 2 minutes and perhaps I will put 1 minute making of ,to manage the maximum 3 minutes I have right?Anyway 1 minute for making of is to short for me but this is the time I have for presentation.

Question: So in that 3 minutes we must include our movie and making of to right?

Thanks!

ajitmenon
04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Is it necessary to explicitly show human-alien interaction or can it be implied?

My concept was to depict a scene from Sundiver where the sundiver ship is attacked by the solarian ghosts...
the ghost would be the alien; however the "human" in this scene would be more abstract and depicted as the spacecraft. To explicitly show a human would need me to
a) Show the human in say a cockpit like view, but that would go against the concept of a ship diving into the sun
b) depict a control panel scene where the main action is being seen in a scene.

I would like to avoid this if possible and just show the scene but if there is not other way, let me know
Thanks in adavance!

shamax
04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Can non-US members compete in this??

bwtr
04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
ajitmenon.
Your query raises some questions in line with a post I have made on my entry thread.
As I read the competition it is for the judging of a 2D electronic(photographic ) image?
However it would appear that some justification has to be made for the way of producing the image depending on if it was made in a 2dPainting app or a 3D app?

Seeing some of the works presented todate, is there any exclusion for the scanned image produced of other image producing means? If so, why?

I am a multimedia artist and see a computer and its programmes not differently than any other art tool,---- a brush, pen, pencil, pastel, chissel, gouge, photographic darkroom!

I get the impression that this competition may frown on some methods that are the norm in any other art forms. What those competition no-nos are are I don't know?

I see 2D works trying to reproduce 3D works. 3D works trying to look like they were not made in a computer?

I see 3D as only a collage which is photographed as a flat still image.
I see it normal for a collage to be the lower layer over which a 2D image is "painted".

My conclusion is that an image should be judged simply on as it is presented. As long as no copywrite problems are involved, how the image was produced should be irrelevant?

Just some food for thought.
Brian

BLX
04-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I have a question on the concept of the challenge. This is sort of similar to ajitmenon's question. Maybe this sounds silly but can we depict parts of the bodies for implication purposes or we have to sort of maintain that usual compositional rule of the thumb? Just want to make sure that I am going on the right path before trying some crazy composition. Thanks in advance.

bwtr
04-02-2008, 02:14 AM
BLX
This follows from my response before.
Why would you EVER need to ask that sort of question?

I am truly amazed!
Brian

BLX
04-02-2008, 02:33 AM
I am sorry if I really missed it but you were talking about the medium being used, wheather 2d or 3d. Now reading it again, I do appreciate your conclusion on that it matters only on the end product which in connection to my question imposed, does ring true for me but the discussoin was totally different, one being the medium and the other compositional issues. I do think I was asking a question which on second thought is redundent but what you are invoking in responce to my post was truly different to my question. Enlighten me if I have really missed the topic of compostional enquiry in your post.

btw, I tried to search your entry post but I couldn't find it.

bwtr
04-02-2008, 02:44 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=235&t=614482

Not that my work is likely to be of value. (I just have fun as a 76 year old!)

Back to your post.
Why in the world would you EVER need to ask about compositional issues if you were entering an art competition?

Sorry if that is harsh but the idea of a competition should be on the judging of YOUR ability to provide good composition?

admkrk
04-02-2008, 02:54 AM
From memory, when the ftp is made available there are more detailed instructions to follow..im pretty sure the files have to be compressed rgb tiffs. which should theoretically chop that size in half.

it was my understanding that the reason for using ftp was so that file size didn't matter and we didn't have to compress the final entry. wouldn't be the first time i wasn't right tho.

bwtr, as for a client, i'd suggest smartftp. i've used it for years and it's simple to use(never tried any other). you can get it at download.com i beleive and the home page has writen and video tuts on how to use it.

BLX
04-02-2008, 02:57 AM
If you read my first post. I said I was just trying to make sure everything that I do is in accord with the rules. True, you should just go crazy with whatever you want to do in regard to compostion but like asking if implication is fine, I want to make sure that there are no traps that I would fall into. Perhaps I am being too careful with the rules but please remember I am asking question in regard to a scenario, not that I am asking people to hold my hands on composition. Anyways, let's not waste forum space with this anymore.

bwtr
04-02-2008, 03:10 AM
admkrk

I really can not believe all the crazy stuff that has been coming up!
With one in 10,000 exceptions, I have NEVER needed to
transfer stuff other than as a plain jpg file or within a simple zip file.

In all these years I thought that was the normal standard?

Strange world!

LightSovereign
04-02-2008, 04:48 AM
it was my understanding that the reason for using ftp was so that file size didn't matter and we didn't have to compress the final entry. wouldn't be the first time i wasn't right tho.

I might have been drawing memory from the procedure for 'Expose' entries..You def need to compress for this.

ajitmenon
04-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Hey bwtr
Thanks for the reply but I think the question was a little misunderstood; As I understand it, as far as medium goes, the challeneg is open to any technique possible, be it 2d or 3d.

I was focussing on content.
The challenge explicitly states that it should convey human-alien interaction.
However, i was hoping if that could be abstracted or implied... I don't want to explicitly show a human figure, but the "object" of my design is ahuman effort interacting with an alien.

Simply said, is it enough to show a human machie interact with an alien.. or is it necessary to show a human form?

Sorry if I stated my concern so obliquely...
But thanks for being patient and replying... and hopefully, I'll hear an answer to this post too.
Cheers!

admkrk
04-02-2008, 05:03 AM
I might have been drawing memory from the procedure for 'Expose' entries..You def need to compress for this.

ok, i'm going to have to figure out how to that then. i've been usingn irfanveiw for the wips.

sorry if i confused you bwtr, i have an ftp server that i use for audio files. they can easily be over 1 gig compressed to flac. i just assumed ther use of ftp as being large file friendly.

Mibus
04-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Yes, the use of FTP is to be large-file friendly. We don't want to receive print-resolution images, only to have them unprintable due to JPEG artifacts! So we recommend ZIPping an uncompressed TIFF (or at most, a losslessly-compressed one).

Although the two systems (EXPOSE and Challenge) are totally separate, they use much the same base software, and I maintain both of them - so they have pretty similar requirements :)

Mibus
04-02-2008, 05:09 AM
Question: So in that 3 minutes we must include our movie and making of to right?
The maximum recommended time is given for the feature, not including the making-of. Don't go too crazy with the making-of lengths though ;)

Is it necessary to explicitly show human-alien interaction or can it be implied?

I think implied is enough, as long as it's fairly clear.

how the image was produced should be irrelevant?

Yes, but please remember that this is a digital arts forum... Such things aren't disallowed, but don't necessarily fit in with the drive of the challenge (making good CG art).

Simply said, is it enough to show a human machie interact with an alien.. or is it necessary to show a human form?

I think as long as it's something of humanity's interacting with something alien, it should be OK.

admkrk
04-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Yes, the use of FTP is to be large-file friendly. We don't want to receive print-resolution images, only to have them unprintable due to JPEG artifacts! So we recommend ZIPping an uncompressed TIFF (or at most, a losslessly-compressed one).

Although the two systems (EXPOSE and Challenge) are totally separate, they use much the same base software, and I maintain both of them - so they have pretty similar requirements :)

thank you for the clarification. i hadn't even thought to zip it but that is easy enough.

while we're at it, when i upload my final to the thread, do i need to have the whole credits added as it sugests or is a breif explanation ok?

Mibus
04-02-2008, 05:22 AM
You should probably at least -mention- everyone involved.

admkrk
04-02-2008, 05:27 AM
that's fair, i was thinking more allong the lines of the insperation. that could be a bit long, in my case anyway.

adib
04-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks Mibus! So we put the making of after the movie in the same avi right?

rgarcia
04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
i im trying to enter in the chalenger that ends at 19 of may and i get the messege thst the entries are close but i dint see any limit date to make entries. can any one tell me how much time we have since the chalenger open please???

liviuberechet
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
ajitmenon.
Your query raises some questions in line with a post I have made on my entry thread.
As I read the competition it is for the judging of a 2D electronic(photographic ) image?
However it would appear that some justification has to be made for the way of producing the image depending on if it was made in a 2dPainting app or a 3D app?

Seeing some of the works presented todate, is there any exclusion for the scanned image produced of other image producing means? If so, why?

I am a multimedia artist and see a computer and its programmes not differently than any other art tool,---- a brush, pen, pencil, pastel, chissel, gouge, photographic darkroom!

I get the impression that this competition may frown on some methods that are the norm in any other art forms. What those competition no-nos are are I don't know?

I see 2D works trying to reproduce 3D works. 3D works trying to look like they were not made in a computer?

I see 3D as only a collage which is photographed as a flat still image.
I see it normal for a collage to be the lower layer over which a 2D image is "painted".

My conclusion is that an image should be judged simply on as it is presented. As long as no copywrite problems are involved, how the image was produced should be irrelevant?

Just some food for thought.
Brian

I must agree that what you say I true. But being a CG competition It shoud be normal that when it comes to the realisation (i'm not talking about the concept) the judges shoud look at the CG steps.

It's also my problem with this challange. I've entered the video challange. I can hold a mouse and reproduce almost anything in 3D, but I'm not so good with brushes. I have made a body-painting concept (made in ZBrush) and I need some one to reproduce the ideea I have in real life (because i've never done a body-painting before and I want it to be perfect).

From what I understend, if I'm not doing the body-painting myself, MY entry will be automatically moved to a team entry, althow this is less then 5% of the whole concept. I'll have to do all the CG steps by myself, but I'll be judge as a team.

Maybe someone can explain what I must do so that I'll stay in the challange as an individual.

LightSovereign
04-02-2008, 10:35 AM
thank you for the clarification. i hadn't even thought to zip it but that is easy enough.

while we're at it, when i upload my final to the thread, do i need to have the whole credits added as it sugests or is a breif explanation ok?

actually its me that should be appoligising here, this is exactly what i was meaning.. to zip the tiff, but didn't explain in the greater sense..

my apoligies

Grrrrrrr
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Hy!

I don t really have a question but a problem. I have hit refresh page after i have submitted an entry and made another entry. And i didn t knew this was happening so i ended up with more posts of the same entry. I would like someone to clean my submission page since it s lost it s organised feel i was trying to keep, and clean also my forum thread.

Thanks!

admkrk
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
actually its me that should be appoligising here, this is exactly what i was meaning.. to zip the tiff, but didn't explain in the greater sense..

my apoligies

no apoligies nessessary. how else would we get down to the correct prosess? i don't do a very good job of expressing what i mean most of the time and it usualy takes a few back and forths to get it right. probly drives Mibus nuts in the prosess tho. :-)

jizrik
04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Hello there,

my question is quite simple but I can find the answer.
I invited my brother to team,but he didnt received any mail or something.

How doest it works where somebody wants to accept the invitation to team?
Please help!

Mibus
04-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks Mibus! So we put the making of after the movie in the same avi right?

FLV not AVI, but yes :)

i im trying to enter in the chalenger that ends at 19 of may and i get the messege thst the entries are close but i dint see any limit date to make entries. can any one tell me how much time we have since the chalenger open please???

Where does it say May 19? What link are you using to try to enter?

From what I understend, if I'm not doing the body-painting myself, MY entry will be automatically moved to a team entry, althow this is less then 5% of the whole concept. I'll have to do all the CG steps by myself, but I'll be judge as a team.

Allowances are made for re-use of music and models from elsewhere, I don't see how it's different as long as it's significantly your own work.

I would like someone to clean my submission page since it s lost it s organised feel

probly drives Mibus nuts in the prosess tho. :-)

I have plenty of things to drive me nuts, yet I'm still perfectly sane. Mwhahahaha!!

I invited my brother to team,but he didnt received any mail or something.

If you get him to email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) and confirm his details with me, I can accept the entry for him.

liviuberechet
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Can I send video WIP? Because it says there "PNG or JPG format"...

I've tried CGuploader but I have the same problem

Grrrrrrr
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello!

The submission page is still with the duplicated entry :D. :banghead:

I have some questions.

1) Why can't i post in other forums? At first it made sense, but after it began, i noticed that nobody gives critique and is interested only for themselves and that is bothering. And in some way it makes sense since when you compete for something you don't try to help the other members because they might do better than you. So am i allowed to post in a romanian forum for example? Is this really going to kill the cgsociety audience?

2) If someone else will do the music, the voicess,the sound, does this mean a team?

3) If someone is willing to model characters for me but does not want to enter the challenge, besides adding him to credits do i need to enter in the team category also?

Thanks!

Strandli
04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Really amazed by the complexity and the prizes on this competition! great job! :)
But I have some questions.

- Since trailers is a popular genre in the video competition, and trailer music is hard to get, I have to ask: If the music is pirated, how will that affect the competition? I mean, if you have 1 song you want to use, and you write down the composer, internet urls and such in the credits, is it then ok to use the song?

- Pirate copied software... If I use a pirate copied software, will I be disqualified? I know that we can get trials and XSI license her at this site (Very good deal with Softimage there btw!), but if someone use other software as their main software, its hard to jump over to a program that you have never used, so If I choose to use one of my pirate copied programs because it's the program Im good at, will I get disqualified?

- What's more important? The idea, the technical or the eyecandy?

- The Making of video, how detailed does that have to be? Can it be as simple as opening the project and just point and explain briefly how it was made? ("I first used max for the models, I opened them in XSI to do the rendering, and the enviorment was made in Vue. I rendered those out, and put them together in Photoshop"... would that be good enough (a little more detailed, ok...)

- Will the judges watch the video if it's uploaded in high resolution on a other ftp? (included with the low-res flv uploaded on this site)

- Why is it that important to make a "Making of" video? So the judges can learn? or to control that it's made by the user?

Grrrrrrr
04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
- Why is it that important to make a "Making of" video? So the judges can learn?

lol, :eek: :wip:

Strandli
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
lol, :eek: :wip:

Ok, just so there isn't any misunderstanding, in danger of making a total ass of myself.. That part was sarcasm :)

walrus
04-06-2008, 06:19 AM
i noticed that nobody gives critique and is interested only for themselves and that is bothering. And in some way it makes sense since when you compete for something you don't try to help the other members because they might do better than you.

Grrrrrrrrrr - Having looked around the threads, I notice quite a lot of people giving each other constructive feedback on their work in progress. And as a vertaran of quite a few of these Challenges, one of the reasons I keep coming back is because the people who enter the CGSociety Challenges are usually quite good about offering useful feedback, not keeping comments to themselves for fear of helping someone else the way you have described. I've also found that the surest way for you get people to comment on your thread is for you to comment on others'. I'm not saying that you haven't as I haven't been paying attention, but I have sometimes noticed that people expect to receive without giving of themselves, and helping others is a great way in this challenge to get others to help you... That and being gracious about the feedback that you do receive. (Again, I haven't looked at how you've responded to feedback, just commenting on the general fact that for some reason, people who don't take constructive criticism well tend to stop receiving it.)

Anyhow, I can't officially answer any of your questions, but I hope you won't mind my casual observation. :)

Spin99
04-06-2008, 08:43 AM
- Why is it that important to make a "Making of" video? So the judges can learn?roflmao :scream:

Grrrrrrr
04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey walrus, of course i don t mind your observation. The only thing i want to add to my early post is that that is something i have noticed in the video forum. Non the less, there are some people who give constructive crit, but most of it is just "good luck" "great progress" and other in this manner. Anyway, i just want to know if it will hurt that much if i post on a "local forum" not an international one (threedy,etc)

Luter
04-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I haven't found details on this point : For the video entry, is it a problem if the entry-trailer have no sound (or maybe only a little music track) ? Will you judge sound too as an essential part of the video (character voices, sound fx...) ? Thx for this new challenge.

Luter

Huggy
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I have a question about the WIPs:

Am I allowed to open a WIP Thread on a different board, to show other people my progress in this competition?

Mibus
04-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Can I send video WIP? Because it says there "PNG or JPG format"...

Says where? And yes, video WIP is fine for both image and video categories. (Yes, image too - in case you want to do a flyaround of your model to show it off or something).

1) Why can't i post in other forums?

You can. You can't have your work printed yet though (in a magazine or book or whatever). Blogs and forums are OK.

2) If someone else will do the music, the voicess,the sound, does this mean a team?

Not if the work is predominantly "yours". Make sure everyone is properly credited.

3) If someone is willing to model characters for me but does not want to enter the challenge, besides adding him to credits do i need to enter in the team category also?

Only if he is making substantive additions to your piece. Think of it like a pre-made model - that's OK, presuming you have rights. But you can't make your image/video up just from stuff other people have done :)

- Since trailers is a popular genre in the video competition, and trailer music is hard to get, I have to ask: If the music is pirated, how will that affect the competition? I mean, if you have 1 song you want to use, and you write down the composer, internet urls and such in the credits, is it then ok to use the song?

Piracy is not supported.

- Pirate copied software... If I use a pirate copied software, will I be disqualified? I know that we can get trials and XSI license her at this site (Very good deal with Softimage there btw!), but if someone use other software as their main software, its hard to jump over to a program that you have never used, so If I choose to use one of my pirate copied programs because it's the program Im good at, will I get disqualified?

If you're found out, you'll probably be disqualified and banned from the site. (Encouraging or admitting to piracy is already one of the things that can earn you a ban instantly anyway). There really isn't any valid justification for it - you can use XSI, you can use trial software, you can use Blender. If you can't do that. use paid software.

- What's more important? The idea, the technical or the eyecandy?

All three are important, of course!

- The Making of video, how detailed does that have to be? Can it be as simple as opening the project...

Some level of detail is best. Talk about why you did something a certain way, talk about what you did differently to most people, or about what you'd change if you had the time.

- Will the judges watch the video if it's uploaded in high resolution on a other ftp? (included with the low-res flv uploaded on this site)

That's up to them individually.

- Why is it that important to make a "Making of" video? So the judges can learn? or to control that it's made by the user?

For the further education of the community. Everybody gets to see your video, not just the judges.

I haven't found details on this point : For the video entry, is it a problem if the entry-trailer have no sound (or maybe only a little music track) ?

One of the best animations from the last challenge had no sound when it was submitted for judging.

Am I allowed to open a WIP Thread on a different board, to show other people my progress in this competition?

Sure.

thepineman
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I was considering making a music video and I wonder if this is ok?? (just want to be sure)
and if it is, then I will contact the artist and ask for permission and add her to the credit part of the movie.

I'd like to make a new version of her music video but with the alien and human interaction theme.

liviuberechet
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Did anyone upload any video ?? I'm telling you... The CGUploader dosen't work... I enter my ID, I select the category Video:Work in Progress, enter title, description, software used.... but the BROWSE button on the "Video Source File:" is unavaliable :((

liviuberechet
04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
and Yes, i've got the newest version of Java

adib
04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there! Question:In my entry it shows team members but my works is individual is there a problem with that.Maybe i did that by mistake.At this project I work alone.So can I change team for individual,how can I do that?

liviuberechet
04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi there! Question:In my entry it shows team members but my works is individual is there a problem with that.Maybe i did that by mistake.At this project I work alone.So can I change team for individual,how can I do that?

I think you will be automatically judged as an individual... at least you should be... don't know

jizrik
04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
If you get him to email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) and confirm his details with me, I can accept the entry for him.

Thanks Mibus.He send you mail on Friday.Did you get it?

idova
04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
My question is not about the content of this challenge but the challenge system in general. If i start on a process showing some ideas in the concept stage and wip stages but then as this is developing a new idea (and hopefuly) better idea emerges do i need to stop my entry and start again or is part of the challenge to complete the idea that you start with.

Also i assume that the title of the pic doesn't need to be finialized until the very end

chandro
04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
my monitor is calibrated for printing purposes
most of the time the look of my 3dworks texture differs from monitor calibration
just wondering on what calibration the judges going to use?

fulg0re
04-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I can not enter the challange, is it maybe to late?

Mibus
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I was considering making a music video and I wonder if this is ok?? (just want to be sure)

Yes.

Did anyone upload any video ?? I'm telling you... The CGUploader dosen't work... I enter my ID, I select the category Video:Work in Progress, enter title, description, software used.... but the BROWSE button on the "Video Source File:" is unavaliable :((

Are you using the latest CGChallenge Uploader? There's a link on the Submit Entries page.

Hi there! Question:In my entry it shows team members but my works is individual

You're a "team of one" :). I've made it hide the list if there's only one person anyway.

Thanks Mibus.He send you mail on Friday.Did you get it?

No... *checks spam folder*. Found it. Looks like a few challenge-related emails got caught - I'll respond to them all in a few minutes. I've accepted your brother's invite for him.

...as this is developing a new idea (and hopefuly) better idea emerges do i need to stop my entry and start again

Not at all - let your ideas grow and flow!

Also i assume that the title of the pic doesn't need to be finialized until the very end

Correct. You don't really "need" to pick a title, it's just nice :)

just wondering on what calibration the judges going to use?

Depends on the judge - we set no requirements for calibration.

I can not enter the challange, is it maybe to late?

Not at all! Go for it.

Goul
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Just one little question about the team management system. :rolleyes:

I've enter the challenge and a friend join my team.
As far as i am the one who have sucribe to the challenge, have i to post his w.i.p with my account, or is it possible for him to post them in my challenge thread ?

I also want to know if i can add his name in the thread name ? :)

liviuberechet
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Are you using the latest CGChallenge Uploader? There's a link on the Submit Entries page.

yes I am... :(

Mibus
04-11-2008, 03:01 AM
As far as i am the one who have sucribe to the challenge, have i to post his w.i.p with my account, or is it possible for him to post them in my challenge thread ?

You have to post it all.

I also want to know if i can add his name in the thread name ?

I'd rather not head down that path for this challenge, sorry. We'll keep it in mind for the next one though :)

robbi
04-13-2008, 08:30 AM
If I finished and can keep the copy of XSI can I transfer it to another PC of mine?

robbi
04-13-2008, 08:52 AM
maximum size I can render is 2048 x 1536 pixels, is that o.k. for the final image?

Frio
04-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone, i,ve just entered the contest and do not understand when i have to finish my work (video)

In the topic i saw it:
Alien Relations : Video Category : 17 March - June 9
So June 9?, am i right? :)

"Image time left: 29 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes, 15 seconds.
Video time left: 57 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes, 15 seconds."

it disapointed me a little in a menu "submit entry"... what does it mean?

Sorry for the stupid question, maybe it was because of my baaaad english :)

Mibus
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Frio: June 9 sounds right to me! It should match up with the countdown timer...

robbi: 2048x1536 should be OK. I'd expect you can transfer the license to another computer, but you should check with Softimage about the specifics if you're concerned.

liviuberechet: The only reason the current uploader should ever have a disabled "browse" button for the video upload, is if there is no category selected (ie WIP choice). Double-check that, and send a full screenshot to me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) and a copy of your current cguploader JAR file, if you still have issues.

Azereus
04-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I was wondering, it has to be all nice between aliens and humans?
I got a history that shift's and i want to represent the "battle" part of that history.

ReddBaronn
04-14-2008, 06:57 PM
If I use music someone else composed and recorded (from iTunes for example), how should I credit them besides the regular credits at the end of my video? I have already emailed them and received permission via email, but should I get an official license drawn up?

ReddBaronn

Mibus
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
If I use music someone else composed and recorded (from iTunes for example), how should I credit them besides the regular credits at the end of my video? I have already emailed them and received permission via email, but should I get an official license drawn up?

What you've done sounds OK - you will have credits at the end, and written (email) permission.

I was wondering, it has to be all nice between aliens and humans?

No :)

Mibus
04-15-2008, 02:36 AM
More good news - ImagineFX have come on board to Challenge XXII - Uplift Universe. One winner's entry will be selected to be published as the cover of an ImagineFX subscriber edition and they will award one year's free subscription to Imagine FX Magazine to every winner

ivandisimoni
04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
i saw once something writed in the rules about some countries that canot participate in some chalenges. i'm brazilian now living in china. can i try it?

Mibus
04-17-2008, 02:21 AM
UPDATE: FTP submissions for the TIFFs are now open. Check out details here (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/final_image.php).

Note: Video uploads having trouble? Try re-downloading the CGChallenge uploader (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/challengeuploader.jar), we've updated some stuff :)

Mibus
04-17-2008, 02:21 AM
i saw once something writed in the rules about some countries that canot participate in some chalenges. i'm brazilian now living in china. can i try it?

Yes, you can enter.

brrrhmmm
04-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Robert please help.Anton Fletcher has disabled some of my forum functions and some of the old timers have accussed me of SPAMMING.As a result nobody is posting any critique in my thread and is hindering my development as a digital artist.In fact the forum administrators left the challenge thread automatic reply function on by default and my mailbox was spammed.The technical problem can be resolved but the damage to reputation is severe.In fact i commited the "sin" by being overzealous in critiquing others work but being only one person decided to post using a template which I quickly apologized for in my EON challenge.I have since stopped.

Participate in the Community by critiquing other challenger's works in the respective forums.
Is a requirement in all Challenge competitons.Actually looking at other's work is the most
constructive way of improving.So I published an Art review by categorizing other peoples work.But after the bitter response stopped.Moreover I am new to the digital art scene so it is grossly unfair for experienced cgtalk and cgsociety members to sabotage newbies.I need the people down here ,they know who they are to explain to Anton Fletcher their complaint so that I can receive my fair share of criticism.Don't kill off new member's enthusiasm!

Mibus
04-17-2008, 05:16 AM
I would have rather not dealt with this so publicly, but nonetheless...

In fact i commited the "sin" by being overzealous in critiquing others work but being only one person decided to post using a template which I quickly apologized for in my EON challenge.I have since stopped.

You were given a forum ban for your behaviour during the EON challenge, however due to a slip-up at the time, it didn't apply correctly and you kept your access.

I need the people down here ,they know who they are to explain to Anton Fletcher their complaint so that I can receive my fair share of criticism.

You will need to be more specific about what you mean. Anton has done nothing to you (other than unsubscribe you from the threads to which you were unable to unsubscribe yourself, as you asked him to), so I really don't know what you expect.

Please also keep in mind that support emails are read by humans*, so try to keep them more civil.

(* and one moose, but let's not get technical!).

In the mean-time, I've removed the restrictions on your account, since you obviously managed to keep your head down and do the right thing for quite a while.

Feel free to respond in private - robert@ballisticmedia.net.

moustafaer
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
hi i have a proplem with resample the final image to 150 kp the resolution of the final image
is 3636*2657 i tried a lot of times and didn`t reach to 150 kp what i have to do ..
thanks ....

Spin99
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd just like to know if we'd like to upload a video turnaround for the image challenge what the process is. Do we use the Uploader, choose a video file, categorise it as a WIP and click "Upload File"? Also is FLV the only format supported?

mdavid
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
hi i have a proplem with resample the final image to 150 kp the resolution of the final image
is 3636*2657 i tried a lot of times and didn`t reach to 150 kp what i have to do ..
thanks ....

Just make a copy of your image at a much smaller resolution and then save that as your JPG - in other words, treat it as just another milestone. Your TIF version of the final image is another thing altogether and that's the one you submit at full resolution

Dragonassasin
04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Can i change from a still to an animation or vice versa? I dont know if ill be able to make a good enough animation in time for the competition.

---also where is the team request/looking for a team section--- never mind found it:banghead:

and finally i cant seem to change my email when i use the utility is says my new email does not match the old one... is is a problem with free emails (gmail) or is this just another moment of shear stupid on my part:blush:

Mibus
04-22-2008, 02:15 AM
thanks ....

There are two "final" images you need to submit. One screen-resolution, submitted the same way as the other milestones (and within 150kb). The other is the 3636*2657 TIFF, submitted by FTP (which can be a larger file).

I'd just like to know if we'd like to upload a video turnaround for the image challenge what the process is. Do we use the Uploader, choose a video file, categorise it as a WIP and click "Upload File"? Also is FLV the only format supported?

Yes, and yes :)

Can i change from a still to an animation or vice versa? I dont know if ill be able to make a good enough animation in time for the competition.

I suppose you can post what you're doing in your "animation" thread, then re-enter the still image category and re-post your work there.

and finally i cant seem to change my email when i use the utility is says my new email does not match the old one... is is a problem with free emails (gmail) or is this just another moment of shear stupid on my part:blush:

Email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) from both accounts and I'll take care of it.

Jay-Mo
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Did not realize there was an entry date. There's still 20 days left, Is there a chance to still get in?

walrus
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
There's no cut-off date for when you can enter. So you can still get in provided you can finish your entry in 3 weeks. Get moving! :)

nwiz25
04-23-2008, 07:41 AM
good afternoon Robert! ... i wanted to know, can i save the final tiff image as 16 bit? or does it have to be 8 bit? coz, i noticed some 'banding' in certain areas, but when i switch to 16 bit, they're all gone ..

liviuberechet
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Can i switch my entry from single to team????

Jassar
04-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Another big question... will there be honourable mentions this year? I ask because last year there were some really great entries and it was a shame they haven't been mentioned in any way.

mim-Armand
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry! I'm almost sure it's answered here but I can't found it & really havn't enough time to search whole 12 pages!

I wonna know if I can find any instruction about uploading video WIPs! I can't found it in any part of challenge pages! any link to it or even to that "CG Uploader"?!

Tnx in advance, mim

Mibus
04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
i wanted to know, can i save the final tiff image as 16 bit?

That's a really good question :). You're welcome to try it and let us know if it works!

Can i switch my entry from single to team????

If you're in the Video category, the promotion to a team category is automatic when you invite someone else and they accept.

Another big question... will there be honourable mentions this year?

I certainly intend to have them, yes.

I wonna know if I can find any instruction about uploading video WIPs! I can't found it in any part of challenge pages! any link to it or even to that "CG Uploader"?!

There are links on the Submit Entry (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/submit_entry.php) page for the Challenge-specific download and the instructions for encoding.

fgdf
04-27-2008, 07:51 PM
in the DELIVERABLES section there is a wrong link to a challenge uploader
there is
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behaviour/challengeuploader.jar

instead of

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/challengeuploader.jar

SC
-BB

JurajMolcak
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey Mibus,

fast questions for video category deliverables:
1. can I extend 30 seconds version for judging with maybe Fade In + Fade Out and some copyright text so alltogether its going to be around 34 secs?

2. can we left making of material as just our ordinary WIPs images? Or is some fancy reel about it a must for judging?

Thanks in advance,

Mibus
04-28-2008, 02:01 AM
in the DELIVERABLES section there is a wrong link to a challenge uploader

Good catch - thanks!!

1. can I extend 30 seconds version for judging with maybe Fade In + Fade Out and some copyright text so alltogether its going to be around 34 secs?

Yes

2. can we left making of material as just our ordinary WIPs images? Or is some fancy reel about it a must for judging?

That's up to you; slipping some stuff into the video just makes it easier for the judges to see how cool you are :)

topherus
04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Guys,

I just join the contest, is there a ready thread under my name in the wip forum or I need to create one for me?

I could find my thread name,,,,,,,,sorry guys I need help!

topherus
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I was trying to send a reply post on thread but its not working, any post I sent doesn't show on my thread,,,,,please I need help!

HornlessUnicorn
04-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Guys,

I just join the contest, is there a ready thread under my name in the wip forum or I need to create one for me?

I could find my thread name,,,,,,,,sorry guys I need help!

If you joined the contest there'll be a thread created for you. You should check your e-mail - you'll get an e-mail with all the links to your thread, to the page where you upload your images etc.

I hope I could help.

Cheers,

Dimitrij.

mim-Armand
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey tnx Mibus for all your great helps man, , But I have some other ones for you!

Dunno really it's just for me or no! But:

1. Its really hard for me to make "Submition entry" process to work!
2. challenge page images often didn't displayed and I saw just text! (even about ads! and thumbnails also)

I ask it couse I have the same problem in both of my home PC and my workplace one, so thought there'se a chance that it wasn't just mine! anyway from yesterday I can't submit anything on the challenge even hardly like paste!

Tnx in advance, mim

OZ
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
SAME PROBLEM!!!:sad:

jonone
04-30-2008, 10:05 PM
hello got some questions to

Is it ok if the interaction is implied?...as the image has its base in an uplift story ;in the image the aliens appear just trough their ships:)

what about the final images.
1 has to be under 150 kb wont that ruin alot of the details ,quality?;even tho its only for other cgtalkers viewing..The FTP one has any constraints? image size.. folder size ?why even ftp file anyway?:P

and same probls as above.recently cant get into submit entry page, or see the thumbnails from other entrys,or the all entrys page etc.even tho im on a laptop doubt it counts:) wanted to see the final date for entrys

Cheers

admkrk
04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
i was having problems even getting pages to load here for the last week or so. seems to be cleared up now for me at least.

Necronomiden
04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah the forum seems to be a little weird right now also yesterday, how about a deadline extention due to the problems Mibus :deal::p jeje

OZ
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
an extention?? hu hu hu good idea Octostatue..hu hu hu :wip:

mim-Armand
05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
... how about a deadline extention due to the problems Mibus :deal::p jeje

lol! I'm with you! also about Video section! :p

Edit:
and the submition progress just working awsome and fast for me right now! TNX for solving :)

OZ
05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
A big " T N X ! ! " to cgtalk crew for the very fast solving!!:applause:

veldara
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM
An extension please, :bowdown: (especially in the image) very interesting project for such a short time.
The evil "Murphy's law" will not let me calm. :argh:

Sorry for my poor English
Good luck!!

JoPu
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi,
1. I want to ask about crediting, I will use some tutorial about Chess (chess puzzle) from Chess Website to be use on my uplift challenge thread. Should I enter the credit as soon as possible when i upload or submit entry of image that use that puzzle, or i can credit it after i finished and upload it with my final image, i mean i submit the credit in one single document with my final image?
2. About the final image is Ok in tiff 8 bits color depth because i will use gimp for create my final image?

Thanks

(Sorry about my english)

Spin99
05-02-2008, 01:37 AM
An extension please, :bowdown: (especially in the image) very interesting project for such a short time.
The evil "Murphy's law" will not let me calm. :argh:

Good luck!!Also posting that an extension would be amazing. Not that I won't be trying to get done by the deadline. It's just that it would be so nice.

I hope there's more people asking :)

Mibus
05-02-2008, 02:59 AM
We're still over a week away from the end of the image section closing, making an extension pretty unlikely. Thanks for your patience with the server issues we had this week though! Hard drives are called "hard" because they can be hard to manage, I reckon :)

1. I want to ask about crediting, I will use some tutorial about Chess (chess puzzle) from Chess Website to be use on my uplift challenge thread. Should I enter the credit as soon as possible when i upload or submit entry of image that use that puzzle, or i can credit it after i finished and upload it with my final image, i mean i submit the credit in one single document with my final image?

Credit the first time you use it, and in the final submission, and that should be enough IMHO.

2. About the final image is Ok in tiff 8 bits color depth because i will use gimp for create my final image?

I made the images that I test with in GIMP, so yes :).

Is it ok if the interaction is implied?...as the image has its base in an uplift story ;in the image the aliens appear just trough their ships:)
Implied is OK, but make the interaction clear.

1 has to be under 150 kb wont that ruin alot of the details ,quality?;even tho its only for other cgtalkers viewing..The FTP one has any constraints? image size.. folder size ?why even ftp file anyway?:P

150kB should be plenty; we make higher-quality copies (from the TIFFs) for some public presentation things anyway.

nwiz25
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
That's a really good question :). You're welcome to try it and let us know if it works!

thanks Robert! in regard to the 16-bit conversion, i did try it out ... all banding artifacts are gone as compared to 8-bit where they're still there ... but here's the thing, once i switch to 16-bit, these filters stay activated :

- liquify
- vanishing point
- blur
- distort
- noise
- render
- sharpen
- stylise
- video
- other

THE REST OF THE FILTERS ARE DISABLED :(

when switching back to 8-bit, all filters are on, but again, i'm back to square one with the artifacts :(

can i still save my final work with a 16-bit channel? will it pose a problem in any way?

please help :(

Ahmed-Almuqbali
05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
hello ..

can i use orginal picture ??

I mean that :

this is me befor 7 year in the home .. taken by my father .
can i use it for character of human and change colore ..delet child ... draw hanss and anotehr body ??????

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=627003
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5124810&postcount=6

jizrik
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi

Can I change the category?I start in group Video but my team break up so can I continue in Image?

Dragneye
05-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Just wonderin'... can I add a short storyline/dialogue with my final entry pic, and/or is that the proper place? Don't want to give away the 'twist' in the WIP just yet.

Mibus
05-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Dragneye: Yep

Ahmed-Almuqbali: Yes

nwiz25: Oh, I see. Is it possible to work with just those filters in 16-bits, then flatten the image into one layer, switch back to 8-bit, and finish the job? Perhaps even if it's 16 bits for some of the process, it'll help the quality?

nwiz25
05-05-2008, 03:30 AM
nwiz25: Oh, I see. Is it possible to work with just those filters in 16-bits, then flatten the image into one layer, switch back to 8-bit, and finish the job? Perhaps even if it's 16 bits for some of the process, it'll help the quality?

hi Robert, i guess i'll have to see how the final image will turn out with an 8 bit channel ... hope those dreaded bands don't show :cry:
thanks a million for your help! :) will let you know about it soon ....

Jumblez
05-05-2008, 04:21 AM
It says that the final resolution of print artwork has to be done using FTP.
What's FTP?

JoPu
05-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks Mibus for the answer, about the extension that other people talk, that would be nice if happen:D

My Uplift Universe (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=616597)

blok
05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I wanted to submit my wip entry and i saw i only have six days left to finish my image i will never make it.:( while video still have 34 days left. Whats up with that?, is that correct?

JackZhang
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry to cut in, but with all the respect, no, it is NOT nice to ask for an extension.

The instruction is clear: March 19th to May 12th, illustration entry. I assume everyone red the instruction before deciding to join. If so, once you join, you should respect the instruction. If you think the rules are not fair, well, no one is forcing you to join; if you think you don't have enough time to finish it, there are other ways to solve the problem rather than asking for an extension.

"yah but for 3d stuff, 2 month is way too short!"

The challenge tests not only your ability of creating an art work, but also your ability of managing your time and realisticly estimating the amount of your work. I've noticed that some of you joined the challenge weeks, even a month after the announcing. Whatever your reason is for joining late, is totally not my business. But you should realise that you have only a month to work on it, so don't give yourself two month of work and try to finish in a month and ask for extension when you realise that you can not finish on time.

There are many ways to get the work done on time. Cutting the amount of work is one of the solusions. Personally I always do a breakdown list at the begining, estimating how long i have to spend on each of my tasks. Then i do a regular progress check once 5 or 10 days to see if i'm on the schedule or not. If i find myself far behind the schedule, i will take some tasks out from my to-be-done list.

In my humble opinion, ask for extension is not very professional. It reflects that you don't give enough respect to the challenge, as well as rest of the competitors;and you aren't professional enough to deal with your own WIP.

Anyway, no biggie, i don't mean to offend anyone here. I just think this asking for extension thing really should stop. Good luck to all entries.

p.s If this is your first challenge, imho, your goal should be "get it done on time".

MarianFernan
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
is the first time that I enter a match.
can I register the same work of image in video, but an animated version?
Thanks.

Thaldir
05-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Well said, Jack!
If I'm not mistaken, one of the objectives of the challenges is to 'train' competitors to work to the industry standard.
The first and foremost advice I've read from a lot of professionals (artists and ADs both) is invariably:' Never miss a deadline'.

Deadline too short for the job...one doesn't take it (or doesn't enter a specific contest).

All with no offense intended, of course.

corny47
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
i've never done ftp anything before so i was wondering how i'd know if my final image went through and if i sent it correctly.

JoPu
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Well i guess you are right JackZhang, i'm sorry about the stupid question, Ok i will be more professional, i will finished the challenge on time! Thanks for the comment i learn it.

veldara
05-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Is it possible to invalidate my image entry? Due to some unforeseen am unable to meet deadlines, can I finish my project in the "Critique 3D works in progress", or any other website?
My image entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=235&t=611324&page=1&pp=15)

Good luck!!

walrus
05-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Just stop updating your thread. If you don't complete all the milestones then your entry won't be considered in the final voting, and will thus be invalidated.

p.s. Well spoken, Jack! :applause:

Mibus
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
corny47: Go back to the Submit Final Image page; it should show you a preview if the upload worked.

MarianFernan: You can, but unless you're doing a "full" video you might want to just upload the video as an "extra" into your Image entry. (The Challenge Uploader can upload video to the Image category too, it's just a requirement in the Video category).

Mibus
05-07-2008, 06:59 AM
FTP -- FTP is a method of transferring large files across the internet. You'll need an FTP client and some patience.

FTP login details and the filename you must use, are on the "Submit Final Entry" page.

LightSovereign
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Yup!!, way to go, jack

fully agree
:deal::beer:

Jumblez
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Did they change the deadline of the competition?
Now it says only 5 days for submitting your image and I thought it was longer?

RupertD
05-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi Guys

Just wondering - I have uploaded the final jpeg and tif images, but I am still tweaking my pic here and there.

So when I have finished do I upload a final jpeg image again, or just the tif image to the ftp site?

If I upload another final jpeg should I write the story out next to it again?

And finally can/ should the final jpeg be larger than the 150Kb set for the WIP jpegs?

Thanks a lot
Rupert

Spin99
05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Just wondering the contest apparently ends on Monday 7 May?
So can we submit the final up until midnight Monday (0:00 AM Tuesday 8)

Also can you please confirm the deadline time zone? (+7 +0 ?)

Cyberone
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
just submitted a wip and it told me thanks but the time was up....lol
tried it a few more times and it was fine...
just thought id let yas know...
i sh$t myself when it happened...cuase i had the date down on y phone..
lol...but it went thru after a few tries...so all is now in the realm of sweetness

Thaldir
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Simon, the same thing happened to me some time ago, I guess it is when the server is busy, I did a serious double take too. :)

Spin99, according to the instruction page:

• The Image category will run for 8 weeks. Finishing on Monday May 12th.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/instructions.php

Usually the time is midnight GMT.

BTW, I just noticed that the only deadline mentioned in the main Challenge page is 09 June 2008, that may be confusing to people interested in the 'image' category. There have been a few new entries, ok, they may work very fast, but my guess is they didn't notice that the image category has a different deadline...

Spin99
05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Thaldir thanks.
But what time Monday 12 or is it Sunday 11 at 0 hours?

Mibus
05-09-2008, 12:38 AM
If there is any doubt in your mind as to exactly when the deadline is, check the countdown timer on the Submit Entries page.

So when I have finished do I upload a final jpeg image again, or just the tif image to the ftp site?

If it's noticable in the JPEG, upload both again. We'll be batch-converting TIFFs for web-use later, but it won't take you long to run off a small JPEG for your fans following your thread :)

If I upload another final jpeg should I write the story out next to it again?

It's probably best.

Jumblez
05-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Simon, the same thing happened to me some time ago, I guess it is when the server is busy, I did a serious double take too. :)

Spin99, according to the instruction page:

• The Image category will run for 8 weeks. Finishing on Monday May 12th.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/instructions.php

Usually the time is midnight GMT.

BTW, I just noticed that the only deadline mentioned in the main Challenge page is 09 June 2008, that may be confusing to people interested in the 'image' category. There have been a few new entries, ok, they may work very fast, but my guess is they didn't notice that the image category has a different deadline...

Yeah that's what happened to me, this was my first CG Challenge so I'm just figuring things out and that really confused me.

Spin99
05-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks Mibus :\
It says 4 days 10 hours which should take us to Tue 13.
Huh? :bounce:

nwiz25
05-10-2008, 06:46 AM
just submitted a wip and it told me thanks but the time was up....lol
tried it a few more times and it was fine...
just thought id let yas know...
i sh$t myself when it happened...cuase i had the date down on y phone..
lol...but it went thru after a few tries...so all is now in the realm of sweetness

Simon, the same thing happened to me some time ago, I guess it is when the server is busy, I did a serious double take too.

me too buddies .... i totally freaked out on that one!! for a minute .. i felt my heart down my throat!! :O :O :O

nagalakov
05-10-2008, 07:00 AM
When I submit image it appear twice:hmm: and I send it only once, what I do wrong?

nagalakov
05-10-2008, 07:02 AM
When I submit image it appear twice and I send it only once, what I do wrong?:hmm:

Spin99
05-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey nagalakov looks like the problem is happening here too?

When you submit you click on a button right?
Well the catch is you can only click ONCE then wait. And wait. And wait.. if you have to.
If it hangs you can still leave it. Just don't click more than once.

If it does hang go check on your entry page first to see if it still got through.
It probably did you'll see.
Another thing don't touch the REFRESH or BACK buttons.
If you do that you'll see it'll post all over again.

So best is

* click submit once
* wait see if anything happens if not wait anyway
* CLOSE BROWSER

Then you can open the browser again and come back and see the results.
It's a bit drastic but you won't go wrong like that ;)

ICHOMA
05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi firnends of CG,
my question is How can I be sure that my image is in the FTP? I click in the refresh buton but cannot see anything.

regards

Thaldir
05-10-2008, 07:44 PM
If you don't see the thumbnail on the page, Mauricio, then probably the upload didn't go though.
I'd try upload it again, possibly with a different FTP client?

admkrk
05-11-2008, 01:20 AM
just because i'm an idiot and want to get it right...

it was my understanding for the final i would ul a zipped tiff along with notes. on the ul page it says just the zip. so, do i just ftp the zip and name it as the filename given, and post my notes along with the final jpeg in the forum? or, do i put the zip with the notes in a folder(name of my choice) and ul that, then post the jpeg with notes? please refer back to the first line in my post. :-)

thanks, kirk

Phill99
05-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Q: i can't seem to upload my final image.i saved my one file as an RGB TIFF file and put it in a zip folder, but when i click submit it says: error on of the required fields is missing. what am i doing wrong? can someone please walk me thorugh it?

walrus
05-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Kirk - The write-up goes with the JPG submission, just like with every other milestone you submit along the way. You're only going to FTP the zipped version of the final TIF. The unpacking is automatic, so I doubt it's even prepared to read anything other than your TIF.

Phil (and anyone else) - To submit the final JPG, do it as with any other milestone.

For the final TIF, go to the Submit page like usual. At the bottom, below the text filed, is a special link labeled "Please ensure you have submitted your TIFF image via FTP (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/final_image.php)." Click on that and it will walk you through the steps:
Enter your name, password, and which challenge you're entering (image or video),
submit your correct address,
and then it will spit out the FTP information along with a name that you are supposed to rename your zipped file.
So then you rename your Zip file that name, go into the FTP program of your choice, enter the FTP site name and password, etcetera, and upload your Zip file.
Wait 10 minutes or so and then click on the "Refresh Image" button on the submit page.
It will show you your image, and that's how you know the upload was successful.
You should also receive an e-mail within the next 20 minutes of so entitled " Challenge upload successful" which of course confirms the same thing.

admkrk
05-11-2008, 05:25 AM
much thanks for clearing that up for me!

ChojinDSL
05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Why is the recommended minimum Resolution 2657x3636? Isnt an A4 Sheet of Paper at 300 DPI at 2480x3508 resolution?

SittingDucky
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi, just one question. i have an old spaceship model that i did long time ago, and used it only for this render link (http://sittingducky.cgsociety.org/gallery/397865/)
it would fit nicely in my entry environment, can i use it? i dont know specifically how or where will it be visible, or its role...i guess mostly as something that will fly around in the background, or the camera will follow it around the buildings, in the opening sequence..
tnx!

GlennEBrooks
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I am trying to upload my final TIFF. Everything works fine with the FTP, and when I press the "refresh image" button, I get a nice little picture of my painting, but it's really small, and underneath it says something about "if this image is not correct...". I hope this is the way it's supposed to be, but this is my first time, so I'm not sure. I've uploaded a few times with the same result, so I guess it's OK?

jonone
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
so when saving the tif...image and layer compression is zip?or doesnt matter? or non and after we zip the tif?:)) just wanna be sure:)

and does it matter what resolution is the final jpeg? or just ahs to be under 150

JurajMolcak
05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi, just one question. i have an old spaceship model that i did long time ago, and used it only for this render link (http://sittingducky.cgsociety.org/gallery/397865/)
it would fit nicely in my entry environment, can i use it? i dont know specifically how or where will it be visible, or its role...i guess mostly as something that will fly around in the background, or the camera will follow it around the buildings, in the opening sequence..
tnx!

From what I see, there is one nice thing about CG Challenges - everybody have let's say the same start conditions, so everybody is creating from sketch or scratch. How good is to allow such a thing for beginers, what do you think? I can understand to reuse your old models with some strong touchups, so they stay unique. Hope you can see the point in what I just wrote.

brandonstarr
05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Is it listed anywhere what the final deadline is for image submissions? Is it tomorrow at midnight? Thanks.

Necronomiden
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
just to clarify and have this on the record, in my time zone is going to be the 12th in about 6 hours but the timer in the upload image page says "Image time left: 1 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes, 50 seconds." i hope its acurate and i don't miss the deadline because of this timer.

icedeyes
05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone....

I am trying to upload my final video for the video challenge using the cguploader but it gives me an error message saying that "This feature is only available to CGS members"...I used my username and pass, selected video as a category, browsed to an image and flv video and then i clicked upload....

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
George

JackZhang
05-12-2008, 12:31 AM
just to clarify and have this on the record, in my time zone is going to be the 12th in about 6 hours but the timer in the upload image page says "Image time left: 1 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes, 50 seconds." i hope its acurate and i don't miss the deadline because of this timer.

if you are close to finishing, follow your local time just in case.

Mibus
05-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks Mibus :\
It says 4 days 10 hours which should take us to Tue 13.
Huh? :bounce:

We allow some wiggle room so that the deadline has passed for everyone. The "official" deadline is UTC, but the count-down timer being a few hours later saves us a huge support headache :)

it would fit nicely in my entry environment, can i use it?

Yup.

I am trying to upload my final TIFF. Everything works fine with the FTP, and when I press the "refresh image" button, I get a nice little picture of my painting, but it's really small, and underneath it says something about "if this image is not correct...". I hope this is the way it's supposed to be, but this is my first time, so I'm not sure. I've uploaded a few times with the same result, so I guess it's OK?

It's a thumbnailed preview. We're not going to shove a 3k x 3k image back at your browser, that would be mean :)

so when saving the tif...image and layer compression is zip?or doesnt matter? or non and after we zip the tif?:)) just wanna be sure:)

None, then after that you ZIP it.

From what I see, there is one nice thing about CG Challenges - everybody have let's say the same start conditions, so everybody is creating from sketch or scratch. How good is to allow such a thing for beginers, what do you think? I can understand to reuse your old models with some strong touchups, so they stay unique. Hope you can see the point in what I just wrote.

We've been slowly allowing more existing material to be re-used, with the warning that recognisable re-use may harm your entry in the judge's eyes.

i hope its acurate and i don't miss the deadline because of this timer.

The timer is linked directly to the automatic shutdown mechanism :). Not wrong :).

I am trying to upload my final video for the video challenge using the cguploader but it gives me an error message saying that "This feature is only available to CGS members"...I used my username and pass, selected video as a category, browsed to an image and flv video and then i clicked upload....

You've used the CGPortfolio uploader not the CGChallenge uploader. Download the CGChallenge uploader from the link on the Submit Entries page.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

krpolak
05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
EDIT: uploaded again, works fine :)

Hello,

my final jpg seems to be loaded and displayed quite wrongly:

http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/20/14551/14551_1210595842_large.jpg

How can I fix it and does it matter at all in judging process?

My thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=235&t=611374&page=2&pp=15

Thanks,

K.Polak

Dragneye
05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Please clarify the directions for final tif... it says also 3 samples/pixel - do the images in my WIP count, or do i also send 3 WHAT... with, final image?

corny47
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
i can't seem to get the image to upload. i tried using fetch for the ftp thing but when i do it itsays that its uploaded but it doesn't say anything different when i log in on here to check. any suggestions for another ftp to use and if it got uploaded correctly will it say so when i log in on here.

Thaldir
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I use Smart FTP, I've never had a problem with it.

Hope this helps

corny47
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
doesit matter that i'm on a mac and don't have windows.

jonone
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
uploaded on the host server ...

still not appearing:-<

GlennEBrooks
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
FTP: I use FileZilla. Works great.

jonone
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
now its only sayin
[[23:22:31] 550 140674_2014254.zip: not a plain file.
when using smart

and not connceting with ispwitch...gonna try filezilla now..sigh myabe to many trying it atm...

jonone
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
now its on with smart...but not appearing on the web..again hope its just cos alot of ppl trying to upload:)

Keitaro333
05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I just wanted to ask if the entrants are allowed to post their finished works on other websites like online art galleries?