PDA

View Full Version : Questions about modeling in XSI 6.5

BLack902
03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Hello to all !

I have few questions about modeling in XSI 6.5. I need to know all the modeling features in XSI for organic modeling. Earlier I had modeling in 3ds Max with polyboost, so now after change I'm a bit lost in XSI. I hope that You can help me :)

1) I really enjoyed "multi-selection modeling" by clicking M on my keyboard, but how I can select rings and loops without disabling that multi selection ?

2) Can I connect edges without browsing window (there where I choose number of connects) ?

3) Are there options like in Polyboost ? I mean border tool from Pboost and creating edge from three vertices.

4) Which other modeling features could be helpful ? Can you post hotkeys for good modeling features ? Sorry for that but I really need to introduce XSI as fast as possible, btw. I'm modeling face2face (poly-to-poly).

Sorry for taking Your time.

Best regards,
Greg

Bullit
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
1) Use Alt, also RMB while in M is your friend.

2) Dont understand. Are you talking about Bridge Polygons?

3) Dont know it. Is it similar to RC Tools 4 http://nycg.org/rctools/ ?

4) I dont have any specific... Go to recent free released Tutorials from Softimage. Here

BLack902
03-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for help Bullit :)

2) Dont understand. Are you talking about Bridge Polygons?

When I'm making connect by clicking Shift+D there is a window when I can edit number of connects. And my question is : Can I fast connect without that window browsing ? For example I dont want to model with multiple connects, and always I'm doing one connect.

wonderpup
03-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure trying to make XSI behave like Max is the best way to approach it. I'm having similar problems coming from lightwave- but i've found it less frustrating when I stop trying to make XSI behave like lightwave, and accept that it's a different app with a different workflow.

toonafish
03-16-2008, 05:20 PM

When I'm making connect by clicking Shift+D there is a window when I can edit number of connects. And my question is : Can I fast connect without that window browsing ? For example I dont want to model with multiple connects, and always I'm doing one connect.

nope, someone at softimage had a soft spot for sliders, so you have to control almost everything in XSI with a slider. Not a big problem....if you like sliders that is.

CiaranM
03-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Run the following in the script editor to make the default single connection btween selections, without a pop-up:
ApplyTopoOp("SubdivideEdge", null, siUnspecified, siPersistentOperation, null);

Drag and drop the code to a toolbar and you can add this as a custom command, which you might then kaymap to shift+d.

BLack902
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Thank You CiaranM ! :)

CiaranM
03-16-2008, 06:29 PM
No problem. You can also disable all pop-up property pages in preferences > interaction (or press control when selecting an operation from a menu). However, I wouldn't recommend this for most modeling or other workflows.
One other solution is to make your own layout with a propert page (PPG) embedded in the layout. So, when you create a node, the same PPG simply refreshes, rather then annoyingly pop-up.

Good luck!

mocaw
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
2) Can I connect edges without browsing window (there where I choose number of connects) ?

Can't you just select the polygon, then use the knife tool ("[" key)? Or you could use the edge tool ("\" key and hold down shift to constrain it- right click terminates it, and you can add just points this way too)...or there are a number of other ways you could do this depending on what you need.

Maybe I just don't understand edge connect? It seems to just split polygons along existing verts?

Often when trying out a new piece of software, I sometimes also find it useful to phrase the question in a way that shows what it is you are trying to do in a general sense instead of asking for the equivalent XYZ function from the "other" application.

mocaw
03-16-2008, 08:35 PM
nope, someone at softimage had a soft spot for sliders, so you have to control almost everything in XSI with a slider. Not a big problem....if you like sliders that is.

They also have a soft spot for people who RTFM and aren't afraid to set up their own system...

Werner
03-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Use the ] key, and middle click on an edge...lovely!

toonafish
03-16-2008, 10:46 PM

ah, sweet. Thanks, I didn't know that one.

Bullit
03-17-2008, 01:07 AM
No problem. You can also disable all pop-up property pages in preferences > interaction (or press control when selecting an operation from a menu). However, I wouldn't recommend this for most modeling or other workflows.

I have it that way. CTRL at same time i click a command and voilá the PPG appear.

BLack902
03-17-2008, 03:08 PM

tc
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM

use "\"

or model>modify>poly_mesh>add edge tool

tc
03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
theres a thread on this same XSI forum that talks about tips and tricks in XSI...
there's lots of things about modeling in there, take a look later.

But basically...
ctrl+d with any component selected will do an extrude "in place" (without move the components). With an edge selected ctrl+d is a bevel.

press "M" the tweak tool you and while you are doing your operations you can hold "L" to drag vertices and merge them, and "J" to slide the edge.

To select loops in components you can just hold alt + mmb on the edge... select a range is first component hold alt then click on the last.
Best shortcuts for selection is using raycast... "U" for polys and "I" for edges.

during the tweak session (M) you can hold alt too and drag an edge with mmb (will drag the entire loop)

the tweak has other modes... press "tab" while in tweak session and you'll go from move to scaling...
when you have "Prop" active, you can hold "R" then click drag and you'll adjust the size of the prop.

Everything has it "alternative" mode and ctrl is always going to snap between edges... So, explore XSI and forget how max work with modeling and you'll have your most fluid experience modeling of your life :) hahaha

lol that was a good phrase... I liked that! :D

dwigfor
03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I suggest you taking a look at the Tip and Tricks dvd that SI posted on their portal. If I remember correctly, many of the modelling tips mentioned in this thread are on that, and more!

BLack902
09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
It's a bit late now, but thanks to everyone once again :).

I have two more question:

1) I'm trying to subdivide my model by selecting Subdivision in XSI, but I don't know how to turn it off, and then turn on (ex. in 3ds Max Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth I can simply turn on and off). That is correct option for subdividing organic models or I need to found something else ?
And one more thing : I don't know how to turn on "isoline display" of my subdivided wire, any ideas ? :/

2) How can I turn on FFD Box to simply correct overall shape of my models ?

Best regards :)

tc
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
It's a bit late now, but thanks to everyone once again :).

I have two more question:

1) I'm trying to subdivide my model by selecting Subdivision in XSI, but I don't know how to turn it off, and then turn on (ex. in 3ds Max Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth I can simply turn on and off). That is correct option for subdividing organic models or I need to found something else ?
And one more thing : I don't know how to turn on "isoline display" of my subdivided wire, any ideas ? :/

There's no need for a meshsmooth Modifier like in Max, just select the object and press + to increase the subdivision and - to decrease.

All mesh objects in XSI (poly, nurbs, curve, hair..) are born with a property called Geometry Approximation. If you open your Explorer (8) you will see that under the mesh object you have this property assigned.
Click on it and you have the subdivision surfaces settings etc.
Isoline is on by default (this is a per viewport setting). If you want to change this you click in the viewport mode button (where you set wireframe etc..) and open Display Options, there you will find "simplify wireframe for subdivided objects" or something like that.
If you want to see the polymesh Cage click on the "eye" icon in the viewport (or press Shift+s) and in the attributes tab you have the option to show the Polymesh Hulls.

2) How can I turn on FFD Box to simply correct overall shape of my models ?

Best regards :)

I don't know what's the FFD box you want, is this the polymesh cage that I mentioned above or you are talking about a lattice deformer?

BTW all this info is very well explained in the manual, check that and you will discover other cool things you can use on your workflow. http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/xsidocs/poly_basic.htm

Also don't forget to take a look on the basics guide PDF, which gives you an overview of almost everything in XSI... http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/xsibasics/xsibasics6x_en.pdf

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.