PDA

View Full Version : HIRES: Man WIP

deunan
05-07-2003, 08:48 AM
hello folks, this is the new member of my family. gonna be my 3rd hires character. i figured that it'll be fun to tackle something challenging. final model will be around 6K to 7K.
comments appreciated.

http://members.fortunecity.com/deunan/neal/prog07.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/deunan/neal/prog08.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/deunan/neal/prog09wire.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/deunan/neal/prog10.jpg

nanoma
05-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Nice texture, efficient wireframe. It will be great if you put skin shader on it.

Only one little suggestion. The eyeballs seem kinda "cute" to me. I'm expecting him to be a tough guy... Maybe tune down the hot spot in the iris will help?

:bounce:

Solve
05-07-2003, 10:26 AM
:beer:

i was going to say it's the best low poly head I've ever seen, but it looks a bit high poly.

still it looks excellent!

deunan
05-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks,

yeah my goals is 2k polys for the head and around 6k for the body.

JonasNoell
05-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Can't see the images :hmm:

metal me solid
05-07-2003, 04:38 PM
wheeee, finally, the last one was yours too right? that midres guy? i loved that one, this ones awsome, finally a wireframe, now i cant start mimicing work, thanks for the wireframe, cant wait till this is finished.. keep it up!
Originally posted by nanoma
The eyeballs seem kinda "cute" to me.
so does yer av.. who's that chick?

goodlag
05-07-2003, 05:11 PM
really love your style

i have a feeling i could learn a lot from this one.:bounce:

deunan
05-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Yeah Solid, the midres guy's mine too. :p
I guess midres to me is hires to you...
I could've done more on the textures, but I didn't want to make him too realistic. That's why i left out most of the highlights. I believe that if the characters are too realistic then i would be boring. :)

keep up the good work.

metal me solid
05-07-2003, 10:42 PM
no no no, it's perfect this way, the other one was awsome too.. woo,. crap inspired me man.. gotta.... clone.. his.. work.. ugh..... too.. many.. god.s... in.. her...r..r...e..e..

and hell now. the poly count is just fine. keep it this way, i mean, if u get a job with this stuff, i mean.. in a few years games will look like this, if u look at FFX (maaaaaaan i love ff) the heads are high poly too, (crap, i just have to drag MGS2 in). and for most CONSOLE games, the heads are pretty high res and detailed. so i don't see any problems there..

wtf does highres mean? midres.. let's start the revolution... i dont get the res.. shouldnt it be highpoly? yea whatveer, im no pro

/disclaimer: these words were written by a 15y old wanna be. do not, i repeat DO NOT crit on his movements on them forums!!! :shame:

deunan
05-08-2003, 01:48 AM
If the wireframes helps you guys, then it's great!!!

for me the standards now should be around 4K for normal models and up. the technology's there so why not use it. i know many people still has old systems and videos cards. so if there aren't any killer apps they'll never upgrade, or somethign like that...

to me lowres is 3K-, med is 3k to 6K, and high is anything above.
i don't see anyone tackling that area, that and wanting to make good looking models is what drives me. :D

metal me solid
05-08-2003, 03:49 PM
1 N0, but 1 was 7alk1n ab0u7 the C0NSOLE GAMES.. /L337

that's for the ingame cutscenes mostly.. ya.. games are so good look'n these days ^.^. i think for real gameplay stuff, with enviorments and stuff, it'll probobly not work with a char of that many polys.. although that crappy X-Box is too damn good.. but.. ahh well..

THIS IS POST 572000!!! WHOAAAAAA!!

spm
05-08-2003, 11:42 PM
i would like to see the UV-mapping

deunan
05-08-2003, 11:48 PM
http://members.fortunecity.com/deunan/neal/Head_UV.jpg

CGmonkey
05-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Niiice!

I wanna see animation, I wanna see animation.. :bounce:

deunan
05-09-2003, 12:54 AM
animation will have to wait, blend shapes will come first!
:)

metal me solid
05-09-2003, 06:59 AM
hmm real weird, your profile says, texture artist.. i dont think i can agree on that.. u do more than that/// are you a god?

SINCE your b-day is N/A too.. hmm..

deunan
05-09-2003, 08:14 AM
yes i am, feel my wrath!!! :p

nah i just like to be versitile.

Kalel06
05-09-2003, 06:35 PM
for me the standards now should be around 4K for normal models and up. the technology's there so why not use it. i know many people still has old systems and videos cards. so if there aren't any killer apps they'll never upgrade, or somethign like that...

to me lowres is 3K-, med is 3k to 6K, and high is anything above.
i don't see anyone tackling that area, that and wanting to make good looking models is what drives me. :D

I agree 99.9% with what you are saying here. My only .1% of disagreement is that it does have alot to do with the project. Putting a higher-res character in GTA:VC for example would reduce the draw distance in order to still be a playable game and not a slide show, or even lower the quality of the other objects in the game. I believe that that balance is important.

It seems to be an ongoing discussion in Game Art forums. I myself like modelling with mid-res (4k-6K), but I do have to admit that unless targeted towards a powerful system like x-box, or gamecube (where the issue of low-end computer users like me is not a problem), my models at that weight would definately make some engines chug.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I love your work. You have great style.

deunan
05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
yupe, i agree with you there.

nanoma
05-11-2003, 05:29 AM
I bet you are having lots of fun with this model...

Looking forward to see the blendshapes!! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.