PDA

View Full Version : 11 second club acting piece, please crit

matmonkfish
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi, for now i am just concentrating on the first half of this months competition

http://www.paculand.com/11SecMarch08/ (600k)

please let me know what you think, thanks

KyleG
03-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I would work more on the pose on frame 7, its not reading very well, the arms especially look a little broken

matmonkfish
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
thanks for the advice kyleG,

i have made some changes in the meantime, and updated this file, i think it works better now..ill take a look at this frame though, as its still the same.

SoundLightSaga
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
the blocking looks good so far. But I'm just curious, what what are you rendering that with? its a very soft render and I have always tried to get that effect but can't figure it out. anyways...

keep up the good work mate!

matmonkfish
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
the blocking looks good so far. But I'm just curious, what what are you rendering that with? its a very soft render and I have always tried to get that effect but can't figure it out. anyways...

keep up the good work mate!

yeah...i like the soft look, especially as a standard for these kind of pieces, looks generally nice without having to go too deep into lighting..

i am using maya and to achieve this look it is basically and HDRI image lighting the scene, rendering with mental ray. dunno if you know how to use HDRI, but it is very simple, i dont really know what i am doing with these things and i can make it work..

basically download some hdr images from here: ( i am using the beach sunset)

http://www.debevec.org/Probes/

go into your mental ray render settings > environment and create image based lighting...it makes a node, just link it to your hdr image, and then play with the colour gain and rotation. make sure you turn any other lights off in your scene

the character has a standard lambert shader, with a bit of ambience on it, which is the main factor of the softness, the ambience makes it so your shadows arent black.

another good thing for softness is the 'occlusion shader' in maya, its worth checking that out.

mjdowswell
03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Really love this, cant wait to see more of it, very funny sound clip...colours and design / lighting are very nice :)

SoundLightSaga
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
ahh thanks mate! I use Maya as well so I will be trying that out! I'm actually trying the same challenge you are, just started today. It's my first complete character animation so I'm sure its not going to be very good, but I'll sure learn a thing or two, which is what its all about :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.