PDA

View Full Version : how to make a brush like bob ross?

kevline
03-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi,
I would like to know if it's possible to make a brush like the one where bob ross is used to make foliage of the trees (When he taps with a big brush).
Thank you by advance.

Jinbrown
03-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi,

The answer is very likely yes.

Can you show us an example? It would help to narrow down the look you want.

#

kevline
03-16-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.bobross.com/art/how-to/autumn/Autumn-Step%202.JPG

http://www.bobross.com/art/how-to/autumn/Autumn-Step%204.JPG

Like this two. On the second picture it's possible with knife in painter to do the same thing (texture of the foreground tree trunk, or rock) because when i try to use knife it's really hard to do a good thing lol

here it's the material he used for this picture:
2" Brush
1" Brush
#6 Fan Brush
Liner Brush
Large Painting Knife

kraal
03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
the brushes are already in painter..... what you seem to not be considering is that the technique itself is not automatic it takes practice

ZeroPhobia
03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
the brushes are already in painter..... what you seem to not be considering is that the technique itself is not automatic it takes practice

+10000 :thumbsup:

kevline
03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
yes i know but my problem it's i can't deform brush so it's always round for example in acrylics brush, i tried with jitter but i'd want when i click or press with pen one time it'll make a brushstroke like pic. and not drag to make it, but perhaps it's the only way. i think i use a little too photoshop ;)

kraal
03-21-2008, 03:42 AM
i may not know what you are after but try the oil brushes and a wacom....

kevline
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I tried the thing i want to do it's pat like ross when he painted foliage, i don't want a round brush, and a strange thing it's now I can't change angles in any brush :/.
but thank you, it's little easier with real brushes ^^

Mu
03-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I think you need to capture a dab. Create a dab mark and capture it (there should be a link to a tutorial by John Derry on captured dabs in the sticky section of this forum or the CGWiki).

Then you can use the angle parameter to make it follow stroke direction.

workbench
03-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Looking at a few youtube clips before they got deleted I'd say what you need is to create some paper textures, that way you can break the paint on the canvas more naturally, like the way he would break the paint to create the highlights on the mountain, set your brush as texture by pressure and inverse, now your brush break the paint as less pressure is applied, good to mimic dry painting styles like what Bob Ross did.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2008, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.