PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Mac Pro, please help

gra-gro
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi,

I'm modeling a Mac Pro for my personal work but i don't know how to carve small holes in the front and back of the case :banghead: any one know how to do it? thank you in advance.
I'm modeling it in C4D

Gra

jwaller05
04-14-2008, 04:29 AM
I use 3ds Max more so than Cinema 4D but if u could do it with a bump map it should work.

gra-gro
04-17-2008, 07:59 AM
I use 3ds Max more so than Cinema 4D but if u could do it with a bump map it should work.

Thank you for your tip Jwaller05,
i gave it a try but still get stuck on this ?? :banghead:
wonder if should i use 3ds max to make it?
Appreciate for any other ideas on this? Anyone?

Gra

Saiato
04-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi gra-gro

I gave the bump mapping idea a try using maya 8.5 and here's what i got:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/369/macprofrontbumpuc0.jpg

I just used a photo of the front of a mac pro and mapped it onto a plane. I then created a bump map by taking the photo and adjusting the levels in photoshop until it was fairly black and white. It obviously needs a little more tweaking than that, but I think this method is a pretty good start.

If it is absolutely necessary for there to be holes in the model as opposed to bump mapping the texture, then you could try making a large series of dowels and booleaning them with the mac pro model to produce the holes.

gra-gro
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi gra-gro

I gave the bump mapping idea a try using maya 8.5 and here's what i got:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/369/macprofrontbumpuc0.jpg

I just used a photo of the front of a mac pro and mapped it onto a plane. I then created a bump map by taking the photo and adjusting the levels in photoshop until it was fairly black and white. It obviously needs a little more tweaking than that, but I think this method is a pretty good start.

If it is absolutely necessary for there to be holes in the model as opposed to bump mapping the texture, then you could try making a large series of dowels and booleaning them with the mac pro model to produce the holes.

Thanks much Saiato,

Yeah, the bump map definitely works well for the starter but im trying to do it as real as possible therefore i should go with the making of large series cylinders then boolean them together. but the problem is that it terribly makes my computer slow as hell :((

Anyway, thanks again for your tip Saiato ;)

antimatter289
04-19-2008, 03:12 PM
having never used c4d, and therefore not familiar with it's abilities - can you model the first row of holes, then use some sort of array tool to do the rest? Then a second set for the location where the power button etc is located, then another for the top (or bottom, depending on where you started). And I definitely wouldn't worry about faces on the back side if you're worried about polys.
edit: I made this:
http://loklomedia.com/blender/grilleMP.png

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2008, 03:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.