PDA

View Full Version : Industry (greasy sci-fi), Bertrand Benoit (3D)

Bertrandb
03-14-2008, 11:14 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/291426/291426_1205536459_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/291426/291426_1205536459_large.jpg)

Title: Industry (greasy sci-fi)
Name: Bertrand Benoit
Software: Blender

Thanks for dropping by. This started as a modeling exercise (industry, hard-body, etc.) and ended as my first semi-serious compositing exercise. The layers included two tonemapped render passes in Indigo, one Blender Internal render for volumetric haze, a photograph for the sky, and some basic colour grading). The modeling was all done in Blender, except for the pilot which I did at the very end ( in a rush and kind of as an afterthought) in Makehuman and Zbrush. Comments, criticism, insult and injury much welcome.
Thanks for watching

coolpranz
03-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Nice work, i like the texturing work the best :) However the composition needs to be improved a bit more the elements like the sky and the ship does not blend accurately with the scene

Rogier
03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Very good! :)
Texturing is very nice, but I think the water shader (I think its water?) deserves a little bit more attention. The waves are a little bit to small I think.

thepineman
03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
you know i am really impress with this image especially to know it was made with blender.
did you use an external renderer?

hillrunner
03-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Wow... great work, especially on modeling, lighting and compositing !

Exipnos
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Really cool image! I specially like the lighting.
The only thing bothering my is the lensflare thingy on the engine.
I think its drawing far too much attention to it.

viiltaja
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I assume you've played the Half life2 :) I don't know if it's good or bad but the image looks pretty much like a screenshot from the game. The game looks great and so does your render but I'm a bit confused :P

Blender...interesting. I didn't know it is capable to such things.

Bertrandb
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi Guys, thanks a lot for the comments.

Exipnos: Yep, that was cheesy. It comes from Indigo (so it's physically accurate), but I did it while tonemapping so I had it on a different layer in the final composite. I've removed it now.

Thepineman: Thanks man. Believe me, Blender is capable of a lot more than that in the right hands. Yes, I used the Indigo renderer (a free, unbiased engine).

Rogier: Thx mate. Some people feel the waves are too choppy, others too small. Which means it probably does need tweaking.

coolpranz: Thanks. Yes, the composition - especially the craft - is by far the weakest part of the image to me...

Viiltaja: I don't know what the matter is with Half-Life2, but people keep mentioning it in relation to this image (in the Blender and Indigo forums). I'm not a gamer, and I've never played the game, and if this indeed looks like a screenshot from a real-time engine, then it's a sour disappointment, given the time and effort spent modeling (and rendering) this.
Anyway, the resemblance, if there is one, is fortuitous. Just to reassure you, every single object here was hand-modeled and textured, there are no exterior or "borrowed" elements apart from the makehuman basemesh I used to model the pilot...

hoogberg
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Very nice, only what I don't like is glow from engine. I gave you 4* and I'm wandering why others are rated this image with only 3*. This is very good example of Blenders power.

Bertrandb
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks Hoogberg. Very kind. This was my first serious shot at compositing, so I guess I still have a lot to learn.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.