PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan or Vancouver Film School?

TDank
03-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I have recently been accepted to the Vancouver film school 3D animation and visual effects coarse as well as the computer animation coarse at Sheridan. I have done extensive research on both (obviously) and Iím still having trouble deciding which one will be the best for me. I have heard good and bad things about both and Iíve seen a lot of demo reels from each school that I found very impressive. I do not know at the moment which area I choose to specialize in, but I do know that it will be between modelling and animation.

I do live close to Sheridan (in the GTA), but Iím not going to let those kinds of things concern me since all I want is the best education possible, and one that will lead to the highest chances of employment after school.

I thought that posting here would help seeing as how some of you may work for companies that hire from these schools and give me some additional information as to how students from each of these schools have performed.

I would also appreciate any feedback from people currently in the programs.

I am aware of the 3D schools threads, I just wanted to see if I could get a more widespread view on how the programs compare.

Thanks.

twedzel
03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't have anything recent to go off of but I think the programs are probably comparable. Last I heard Sheridan's program was a post graduate program with a lot of the students coming from their own animation art or illustration programs. Which I think would be a pretty cool place to be for learning from fellow students. I'm assuming you are living with your parents... so if you live close enough to not need to find housing, then your schooling becomes waaaay cheaper. I think with either school you'll get out of it what you put into it. Otherwise I'd say they are very comparable.

It also depends on where you want to find work. Most Sheridan grads will find their first jobs in Toronto or Montreal and most VFS grads will find them in Vancouver. Not an absolute rule, but just a trend I've noticed. I've worked with tons of VFS grads but only one or two Sheridan grads. It would be vise versa working in Toronto. Your school is where you make your first connections. So if the East is home to you, then study there... if you want to move west to work then study here. If you really can't deside, then maybe take a flight over to Vancouver and see if you like the city.

israelyang
03-15-2008, 03:56 AM
i am a sheridan computer animation grad myself (2006).
from what I have heard about VFS, you will most likely get a much more specific demo reel from there than from Sheridan.

Sheridan, having gotten its reputation from their classical animation program, carries that mentality into their computer program. You will be asked to produce 2 short films, one 10 seconds long, aother one 1-2 minutes as your final piece. They pay more attention to the animation and story telling ability, it being a one year course won't give you, or the teacher's the time to impart you an indepth education in shading/texturing, lighting, compositing, modeling... though in order for you to make your own short, you will have to do everything.

VFS might be a more appropriate place if you want to specialize. From what I have heard they get a few months just to do 2 models and texture them.

The majority of my classmates found job placements fairly quickly after graduation. Most of them were in the toronto or Ontario.

TDank
03-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the responses so far, they have been very helpful!

Craiger
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised that you're only lookin into those two schools, when there are a few in or around the gta that are solid. Your best bet is to talk to current students, and find out what they think about the school. I went to Sheridan a while ago for classical animation, but I couldn't give you an accurate description of whats going on now... Make sure you do your research. Dont assume all you need to know is in this one thread.

Canadianboy
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
True. It seems like Centennial also has a decent program I looked into going there and Seneca also before I personally made up mind to just go for it and go to VFS. Good luck on your decision.

circusboy
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
There used to be gigantic difference in price between Sheridan and others.

I went to Sheidan in (ahem) 1990-91 and back then its costs me $1500 (i think-my parents flipped the bill actually) for the year?!
There was hardly anything else like it in North America and it was extremely hard to get into.
But not expensive. After graduation I went out to Vancouver when DigiPen was just starting up and was shocked to hear it cost you $10000 to attend it.

Yes those are ancient times-and i think Sheridan is much more expensive now-but still might be a factor. I hear VFS is extremely expensive.

kelgy
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
After graduation I went out to Vancouver when DigiPen was just starting up and was shocked to hear it cost you $10000 to attend it.

**I remember Digipen's program! I considered going there in 93-94 but the demo reel they sent out was so far removed from Jurassic Park quality I had no interest in spending $10 000 making silver car ornaments running along a Tron-ish background.

VFS did recognize the market early though. Not sure who else was offering any programs like that back then around here.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.