PDA

View Full Version : Displacement issue

Troyan
03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm trying to use displacement for a bone texture on a spine model that was not created by me. The problem is when it goes to render any sharp corners appear to be pushed out and I can't figure out what's going on. I've tried optimizing the geometry, turing SPD on and off and not matter what I try this happens. Am I missing something basic when it comes to sharp corners and using Displacement?

LucentDreams
03-14-2008, 12:26 AM
I"d need to see a picture to see exactly what your referring to, sorry :/

ernia
03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Did the size of your object change? It's relative to the displacement value.

ernia

Troyan
03-14-2008, 12:31 AM
I think I figured it out right after posting. I designed my noise as the lowest point being black and had the displacement type set to Intensity (centered) making the geometry collapse down further than it should and the corners were intersecting. Setting it to Intensity seems to have fixed it.

Per-Anders
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Can you show a picture? Also is it a general procedural texture you're using or a bitmap? It could be that your bitmap runs very close to the borders of the uv's so it's sampling some points on those borders, you can also change the samping from MIP to none to see if that helps there. Other problems can be that the polygons aren't aligned properly (reversed faces etc), or that optimize isn't using a large enoug area to really join points (change it's radius to be a little larger and see if that helps)...

Troyan
03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Can you show a picture? Also is it a general procedural texture you're using or a bitmap? It could be that your bitmap runs very close to the borders of the uv's so it's sampling some points on those borders, you can also change the samping from MIP to none to see if that helps there. Other problems can be that the polygons aren't aligned properly (reversed faces etc), or that optimize isn't using a large enoug area to really join points (change it's radius to be a little larger and see if that helps)...

I was using a procedural noise shader (Naki to be exact) and the type was set to intensity centered causing black to recess geometry instead of it acting as a base level.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.