PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt fxs file

NikkiC2
03-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Messiah has a penchant for obliterating the fxs file if it crashes while saving. The file looks irrecoverable as it contains only a snippet of the data from the scene. Apart from manually backing up the file every 10 minutes, is there a built-in function to do something similar? The application really should be saving out to a tmp file, deleting the old file and then renaming the tmp to the old one. Time to dig out undelete tools.

Nikki

MoodyB
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Under the ' customize ' tab there is an auto-save function.

fwtep
03-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Yeah, Auto-Save is great. Because I use the beta I have Aut-Save set to 20 seconds. Even with big scenes you don't notice any slowdown with the saves. Please note, however, that it only saves if you do something, not, for example, if you're just playing the animation.

Fred

NikkiC2
03-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Does it auto-number the autosaved files? I'm checking here and autosave simply autosaves periodically, no backup copies appear to be made. If the application crashes while it is autosaving, the project is still lost. I remember in a project last year simply having to manually copy and paste the file into a backup directory.

Nikki

peksi
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I personally use incremental save a lot, not just in Messiah.

kursad_pileksuz
03-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I personally use auto versioning. Here are couple software for you. I use Filehamster and generally I am happy. It is a complete asset management really.

http://www.mogware.com/FileHamster/

http://beanland.net.au/AutoVer/

both are free

fwtep
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Does it auto-number the autosaved files? I'm checking here and autosave simply autosaves periodically, no backup copies appear to be made. If the application crashes while it is autosaving, the project is still lost. I remember in a project last year simply having to manually copy and paste the file into a backup directory.

Nikki
It saves multiple versions, so it doesn't overwrite itself each time. For example, if you have it set to 10 files, it saves 1-10 then starts back at 1. And if you have Auto-Save on and set the interval to a small number, like 20 seconds then yes, if it crashes while saving you might lose that version, but you'll have one from only a few seconds earlier.

Fred

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.