PDA

View Full Version : Extrude Along Existing Geometry

DustinBrown
03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a CAD file I've converted to an LWO. It's very high poly and I want to remodel it as a SubD model. I'm wondering if there is a method or plugin that would allow me to put the CAD in the background or something, then model the new version in such a way that my extruded edges and such "snap" to the surface of the CAD in the background as I'm creating them. That way I don't have to waste a bunch of time aligning everything to the CAD. I could just focus on creating nice edge loops and I'd know that my surface was going to match up with the reference CAD automatically.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dustin

biliousfrog
03-14-2008, 09:16 AM
LWCAD snaps quite nicely to geometry although it only really works in one viewport at a time and doesn't like the perspective view much. For certain jobs it has been a godsend, especially the profile tool, being able to create a path and then give it thickness interactively without the need for rail extrude.

DustinBrown
03-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks, biliousfrog.

- dustin

JeffrySG
03-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I think the pictrix SP Move plugin will do a lot of that type of snapping... and it's free. Worth a look!

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index_2.html

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.