PDA

View Full Version : pivot orientation

DracoDralion
03-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I understand the term "orientation order" and know how to change it. Very useful for animation. But what I would like to do change now is the orientation of the pivot. If an object is rotated the values are negative while logically to what you're doing, they should be positive.

If you look in the viewport for example, the y is pointing upwards. I want the y to point down but the x and z still pointing the same direction. What I tried to do is scale the centre over -1in y, but the problem is that it's not the centre itself, but also other objects that scale, even with child compensation on.

So, is there a feature in XSI that can change the centre orientation?

PS: This is all for a bone, but I guess it doesn't really matter what object it is.

PPS: in maya it is called orient joint option, which makes me think that the previous PS might not be true. I don't know, you tell me..

ThE_JacO
03-14-2008, 02:55 AM
changing the Y direction leaving X and Z absolutely untouched would move you from a right hand coordinate system to a left hand coordinate system or viceversa.
It's not possible in xsi, and if other apps are allowing something similar (I know maya but don't remember the option you're talking about to be anything like that, but then I'm a couple versions behind) they are only altering the representation for you, introducing a hidden transform lookup somewhere, which isn't exactly something I'd think of as desirable.

DracoDralion
03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
changing the Y direction leaving X and Z absolutely untouched would move you from a right hand coordinate system to a left hand coordinate system or viceversa.
It's not possible in xsi, and if other apps are allowing something similar (I know maya but don't remember the option you're talking about to be anything like that, but then I'm a couple versions behind) they are only altering the representation for you, introducing a hidden transform lookup somewhere, which isn't exactly something I'd think of as desirable.

Well, it's more than just the representation actually. The reason why I would want to change it is that, if the animator rotates the lower arm forward he would get positive values (which makes sense) rather than negative values. I know it's not really that a big deal, but I'm someone that likes to work in a clean and logic way.

I figured how to get it btw. Not sure if it is a very good way, but it works. As I said before, I tried to scale the axis (or rotate them, depending on what way they need to point to). This gave the problem that constrained objects would just follow. I tried to make them inactive before I changed to orientation of the axis, but when I made them active again, I had the same problem. Tried to delete the constraints and make new ones after which gave the same issue again (which I still don't really understand). Then I just rolled the constraints back (scalling is also possible), to get them in the right orientation again.

So for the future I guess it's better to look into the orientation of the axis before I start to parent and constraint. Or just leave it as it is..

If anyone has a better solution, please do share.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.